Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

school me on control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 02:26 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default school me on control arms

I've been looking at replacing the lower front control arms. When I look them up in different parts catalogs they show 2 distinct parts. One is a very standard looking control arm with a ball joint and cost about $200. The other part is more involved also with a ball joint and cost $400- $800. Do I need both?
Old 09-17-14, 02:30 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silver one that looks like a wishbone is the upper. The beefier black one is the lower. It has a ball joint and sleeve that will wear over time/abuse. With both you can replace the bushings, the thick rubber donuts at their contact points with your axle.

There are also fully adjustable aftermarket versions of both that go for mega bucks

Why do you think you need to replace them?
Old 09-17-14, 02:34 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a veryyyy reviewed topic. Anything you can think of is searchable about control arms.

That being said. You have a couple options. Usually people replace both sides at the same time but that's up to you and your wallet. If its the lower control arms, you'll want to replace them both since they are GOING to go out on ya with time regardless. You can get a pair of Lexus arms for 6-700 OR get Supra lower control arms for half that. They are interchangeable but the Supra arms are a bit stiffer since the bushings are filled instead of porous. Depending on who you ask, you wont be able to tell..

Upper control arms are totally different and hardly ever go out. They are much cheaper and will be fine getting Lexus parts.

What questions do you have?
Old 09-17-14, 03:33 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kbb
The silver one that looks like a wishbone is the upper. The beefier black one is the lower. It has a ball joint and sleeve that will wear over time/abuse. With both you can replace the bushings, the thick rubber donuts at their contact points with your axle.

There are also fully adjustable aftermarket versions of both that go for mega bucks

Why do you think you need to replace them?
My mechanic and good friend noticed that when I back up their is a slight bump/thump feeling in the brake pedal. Almost feels like the caliper shifting. As far as ride I don't notice anything.
Old 09-17-14, 03:34 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884
This is a veryyyy reviewed topic. Anything you can think of is searchable about control arms.

That being said. You have a couple options. Usually people replace both sides at the same time but that's up to you and your wallet. If its the lower control arms, you'll want to replace them both since they are GOING to go out on ya with time regardless. You can get a pair of Lexus arms for 6-700 OR get Supra lower control arms for half that. They are interchangeable but the Supra arms are a bit stiffer since the bushings are filled instead of porous. Depending on who you ask, you wont be able to tell..

Upper control arms are totally different and hardly ever go out. They are much cheaper and will be fine getting Lexus parts.

What questions do you have?
Where can I get a pair of Supras? Stiffer ride is fine. What I mean is should I look for lower control arms for a Supra of the same year as my sc?

Last edited by Bankswood; 09-17-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 04:06 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

OK this seems to good to be correct. The link will show you Dorman lower control arms for a 93 Supra. Part numbers 521-730 and 521-813. Will these work for my 93 Sc400?
http://www.oscaroparts.com/UniversalSearch/Search/Find?q=Suspension%20Control%20Arm%20Toyota&ctx=**"part.genart"%3A"10401"%2C"vehicle.make"%3A"76"%2C"titre"%3A"Suspension%20Control%20Arm%20Toyota"}&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc-search&utm_term=%2Btoyota%20%2Bcontrol%20%2Barm.b&utm_campaign=45146425326&utm_content=s83ol5Urz_pcrid_45146425326_plid_

Last edited by Bankswood; 09-17-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 04:56 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would avoid Dorman, and go with Beck/Arnley or Raybestos. Google Dorman vs Raybestos and see why. Now they might have improved their product since, but I wouldn't waste time and money with them. They are cheap for a reason.
Old 09-17-14, 05:52 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Can someone give me the Toyota part numbers for these control arms. Replacement parts seem to be all over the park and I would really like to order the correct replacements. TIA
Old 09-17-14, 06:11 PM
dogwisper
Driver

When folks talk about the control arms (upper and lower) there are two aspects to them that wear out. The bushings AND the ball joints. Bushings have been reported on this sight back in the 90's as going out as soon as 5 years and 50,000 miles but the other part that many don't seem to pay as much attention to is the ball joints which after 20+ years and often a hundred plus thousand miles will go as well. Just replaced my uppers and lowers and both had ball joints that just flapped in the breeze. And the ball joints more directly effect your handling and safety. Check out both aspects and you can really tighten up that front end. The Lexus upper control arms through Sewell with our discount are discounted from $451 a piece to $275 plus shipping which is a great price but still more then the Supra lower control arms which is why most folks get the Beck/ Arnley, Raybestos or as a last resort Dorman upper control arms for about 1/3 that cost. Very worthwhile maintenance issues to address and will make a noticeable difference in handling and ride quality.
Old 09-17-14, 06:15 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Dog you don't have to sell me on the advantages of new control arms and ball joints. I'm just confused as to the correct part numbers
Old 09-17-14, 06:24 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Toyota compatable part numbers 48069-14080 Left lower control arm Supra & 48068-14080 Right lower control arm Supra fit the 92-96 SC400. Here is a DIY to do the replacement too. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...l-arm-diy.html
Good luck and search the sight for more help.
Old 09-18-14, 09:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there is a suspension section with all these part numbers listed out in the sticky. I would check it out.
also moving this thread to the suspension forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-sc-300-a.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-18-14 at 09:54 AM.