Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Key & Tumble / Ignition Switch Same as Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 12:34 PM
LobotomyXX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key & Tumble / Ignition Switch Same as Supra?

Is the ignition tumbler the same in an SC300/SC400 as the Toyota Supra?

Or the ignition switch?

If so, does anyone happen to know the part number?

Both of mine just took a dirt nap, Lexus wants $500 each with a 2 weeks shipping wait. Need to track down parts or find the comparable Supra part to save some cash.
Old 09-15-14, 10:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

It should not be the same tumbler or key type, sorry. Lexus uses their own laser cut keys. The Supra MKIV used a conventional type of key. This is one rare case where you have to use Lexus parts.

Were you trying to source the ignition switch, tumbler and keys from a local dealer? Do you need just a new set of keys or is your tumbler broken?

Try contacting Sewell Lexus (Dallas, TX) or use their online catalog. They are a very good go-to dealer for items like these. It still won't be cheap but they are much better on price than just any Lexus dealer with little to no competition around them. Another advantage with them is that you have a great set of exploded diagrams and part numbers in their online system. There is also Pembroke Pines Lexus (Florida) and Carson Toyota (yes, they can order Lexus parts) as other good alternatives. Edit: I do recall I may have tried Carson for a set of keys and transponder chip and they may not have been able to order that specifically. Can't recall for sure.

Sewell in particular does a good price on new key sets. They have a section for it online. The tumbler assembly would require a call to their parts department to order.

Note that if you want a new set of remote keys matched to your VIN number they offer sets of two, three and four keys. If you have an early 92-94 SC you have to order the number of keys you want to have remote function with a new transponder chip up front. In other words you cannot add another remote key later-- you have to order a new set with a new chip. Your old key(s) will still do everything else but they won't have remote function.

If you want just a master non-remote key (or valet key) matched to your VIN it's much cheaper. They will still cut them to the VIN but it's not in the same ballpark in price.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-16-14 at 05:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Returd (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 09:00 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just picked up a 92 with a single remote style key, no additional keys. I picked up a battery for the key today but haven't installed it yet, hopefully the remote works.

The remote key needs some fiddling to open the door manually (as in turning the key in the lock). The remote key does not open the trunk. Thankfully the remote switch and actuator are still working but if either of those fail I have no access to the trunk. I'm thinking my one key for the 92 is just worn enough not to work on the trunk, and almost too worn to work on the door.

I have a 93 parts car with 3 keys, one of the remote keys is damaged, but I think I can fix it.

I can see a few options here.

One would be to swap the ignition, door and trunk locks from the 93 into the 92. Seems like a lot of work, and I'm not sure if there's unforseen security issues I don't know about.

Another would be to order a set of keys, but wow, that's spendy and I'm not sure they would work on the trunk.

Of note. I took apart the damaged remote key from the 93 and unsoldered the chip from inside the key. Can those chips be reprogrammed from the 93 to my 92? I was thinking of maybe brazing up the 93 key and recutting to my 92. Still doesn't address the trunk issue though.

anyone got any ideas for me?