Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Having issues with USDM OBDII TT ECU mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 07:03 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it possible all these codes stemmed from the TPS? It was loose, and after fixing it the codes have not come back yet. The car was driven around for about an hour. Did a few cold starts, and so far so good. Its just been a never ending cycle with this car running like ****.

I never had egr or trac codes before, so this is puzzling. As far as maf, thats a bit weird too. I bought that MAF off a 98 tt supra, but I never installed it. Idk if that makes any difference or not.

CatMan I cant go obdi because my car has to get emissions tested in a couple months again, and I need to pass. Then i will be good for another 2 years. It already passed emissions this January, but bc it was out of cycle, i need to so it again.

In retrospect, it would have cost me a lot less to just swap in a OBDII USDM gte motor into this car
Old 10-22-14, 11:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

very well could be anything that is loose will cause the misfire codes. tps yes that would do it.
well give it some time and see which ones come back. I would think they should go away you didn't have them last time you went in for the emissions test and we have only fixed more stuff so it should be better.
Old 10-22-14, 02:14 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400

In retrospect, it would have cost me a lot less to just swap in a OBDII USDM gte motor into this car
Are you saying this because of all the money you've paid others to do the conversion? I'm sure the labor and time involved with taking it to shops often can add up. However I highly doubt this setup is less expensive than a full blown USDM GTE engine swap. You would of experienced the same weird quirky issues here and unforeseen maintenance items to replace until you got it all ironed out.

I'm glad I'm OBD 1, my JDM GTE conversion with the help and layout from AliSC3 has been smooth as silk.
Old 10-22-14, 02:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

what maf are you using now? as long as its a tt maf you are ok. you can try the 98 one it may be newer/cleaner.
Old 10-22-14, 03:06 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

so this OBDII thing is just impossible. Even Sound Performance told me today that they can't fix my car, and the only solution to my problems is going stand-alone. Basically it will never run right on this mod.
The misfire codes came back today. No other codes but misfire on every cylinder except 4.
I think this is where I give up on the car. I would like to thank everyone for all your help and input. I really truly do appreciate it
Old 10-28-14, 11:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I find it hard to believe that they can't make it run right, its probably more that they don't care to because they rather sell you the standalone.

did you try the other maf yet? it just takes a few minutes. If you are using your n/a maf then that would be a problem. I would def try the 98 maf before abandoning ship. its like the 1 most important sensor that ecu uses.
Old 10-28-14, 11:25 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I find it hard to believe that they can't make it run right, its probably more that they don't care to because they rather sell you the standalone.
+^^^1000000000000000

That's exactly how I feel, It can be fix, you can get it to run perfectly fine on the stock ecu.

I hope you get it figured out.
Old 10-29-14, 05:06 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, everyone praises that I have a beautiful car and a nice setup, but no one can actually fix it, and I paid big money for labor

I am running (and have been running) a MAF from a 1993.5 Supra TT. I have a MAF from a 98 Supra TT but people tell me it's the same and won't make a difference
Old 10-29-14, 06:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

after all you have gone through I would swap it out. a 93.5tt maf is like the oldest possible one you could get and a 98 is quite a bit newer and likely less mileage. maf's are touchy, especially used mafs. unless you know it came from a running car I would be skeptical of each part and try a backup. since none of us can seem to figure it out likely its something like that. only takes a few minutes it could clear things up potentially, does't make much sense that the mifires come and go unless its a sensor or the ecu acting up. it could even be early stages of the ecu going bad.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-29-14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 10:16 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

I re-scanned the codes today after driving the car and not giving a **** for about 2 weeks. I have a misfire on every cylinder, and EGR flow excessive. When I tried starting the car after it was sitting for 4 days untouched, it barely started. Had to crank it for a while. Then it smelled like fuel a lot. It idled at 1500 rpm for a good 2-3 minutes before dropping to 1000. Maybe leaky injectors?

I also went ahead and swapped out the 1993.5 MAF for the 1998 MAF I had lying around. It seemed to make no difference.

I also noticed that when i start the car and the engine is still warm, it will idle low and wideband will show red lean, unless I give it a slight rev, then it will idle a bit higher after and not be lean anymore. Weird... I'm frazzled with this car.
Old 11-04-14, 01:14 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any way you can try another ecu? Like Ali said these are used parts you have no idea what they have been through. It doesn't make sense that you have everything wired up correctly yet it's running so poorly. Try another ecu.
Old 11-04-14, 12:53 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ashtray
Is there any way you can try another ecu? Like Ali said these are used parts you have no idea what they have been through. It doesn't make sense that you have everything wired up correctly yet it's running so poorly. Try another ecu.
finding a usdm M/T TT ECU is not easy. and when i do find one for sale once in a blue moon, people ask insane amounts of money
Old 11-04-14, 12:59 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you do!! all over Supraforums and facebook.
Old 11-04-14, 02:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I saw one that came and went last week for an obd2 manual. they are out there just have to browse like everyday. maybe start by inspecting yours first, if there is an obvious capacitor issue just sent it to the electronic guys for a rebuild doesn't Tanin now do it for like 80 bucks or so.

I wonder also if you could have misfires cause of plug gap.. I find it hard to imagine but who knows what those guys did in there.
Old 11-04-14, 07:34 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400

finding a usdm M/T TT ECU is not easy. and when i do find one for sale once in a blue moon, people ask insane amounts of money
Yeah mine VERY expensive so I don't blame you there. Have an electrician check it out like Ali said

Quick Reply: Having issues with USDM OBDII TT ECU mod