Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removing resonators on Sc300? Effective for sound as on 400?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 09:13 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Removing resonators on Sc300? Effective for sound as on 400?

Hi,
I remover my resonators on my 400 and it made it sound much better. Will this also improve the exhaust note on a 300? Anyone have video of the sound? should I remove the mufflers instead?
Old 08-18-14, 09:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

5 sec search on youtube got me this

Old 08-19-14, 06:31 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Wow! Sounds pretty good! Thank you!
Old 08-19-14, 07:20 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

How does your 400 sound without the resonators? Thought about this myself with new exhaust but I'm afraid it'll turn very raspy and over the top without the resonators.

Yes, I know I could youtube it but, I want a real opinion from someone that drives and sits in the car, not a camera sitting 2 feet behind on the ground..
Old 08-19-14, 07:55 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
How does your 400 sound without the resonators? Thought about this myself with new exhaust but I'm afraid it'll turn very raspy and over the top without the resonators.
Curious about that, too. I've got my new axleback mufflers arriving today. If that goes well, I'm planning on trying the next step of deleting the sub-cat between the two Y-pipes. That's a bit more work, as it requires cutting and welding.

From what I've read, that combo should just about maximize the performance gains possible from exhaust work (not counting headers, which are pretty much unobtainable for the platform) and add a nice amount of growl without being obnoxious, which seems to be the risk with deleting the back two resonators. Opinions vary, of course.
Old 08-19-14, 09:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It improves the sound on the SC300. I did it to mine back in the day and it made it a little bit deeper.

My friend cut the mufflers and resonators off of his 95 LS400 and it sounded really good. It wasn't raspy. Just loud and deep. I run straight pipe on my 05 LS430 and it sounds kind of like an LS1 according to my friends. An SC400 should sound similar.
Old 08-19-14, 02:37 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Curious about that, too. I've got my new axleback mufflers arriving today. If that goes well, I'm planning on trying the next step of deleting the sub-cat between the two Y-pipes. That's a bit more work, as it requires cutting and welding.

From what I've read, that combo should just about maximize the performance gains possible from exhaust work (not counting headers, which are pretty much unobtainable for the platform) and add a nice amount of growl without being obnoxious, which seems to be the risk with deleting the back two resonators. Opinions vary, of course.
Nice, I'm in the same boat, I want a bit more power and sound but not toooo much lol

Originally Posted by Kira X
It improves the sound on the SC300. I did it to mine back in the day and it made it a little bit deeper.

My friend cut the mufflers and resonators off of his 95 LS400 and it sounded really good. It wasn't raspy. Just loud and deep. I run straight pipe on my 05 LS430 and it sounds kind of like an LS1 according to my friends. An SC400 should sound similar.
From what I've heard on youtube removing the resonators seems to be really raspy. If I'm going to be raspy I want to be at least a bit quicker then most of the things willing to run me on the street. I don't want a super loud, 15 second car lol.. You're saying it's not raspy at all though??
Old 08-19-14, 03:49 PM
weeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it straight back to dual 2 1/4 inch offset mufflers and all you get is a very nice tone. no raspiness at all and not at all loud unless you really stomp on it.
Old 08-19-14, 05:36 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i've heard that any exhaust changes to the 400 just make it louder and no raspiness. headers however depending if they're shorties or long ones might make it a little raspy. everyone tells me OBX headers make it raspy
Old 08-19-14, 06:32 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Yes, I know I could youtube it but, I want a real opinion from someone that drives and sits in the car, not a camera sitting 2 feet behind on the ground..
I absolutely loved the sound! I forgot to add that the car has Magnaflow axle back and cold (warm) air intake. The sound is really perfect to me but about 20% too quiet. The combination is almost just what I was looking for!

I took the 300 to the exhaust shop and the guy actually said he suggests I leave it alone. He said it is in the best condition he has ever seen on an Sc or Ls. It looks brand new. I appreciate his honesty and will leave it alone until I have a major idea...... Like BOOST!!!
Old 08-19-14, 10:31 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
that's an extreme idea. a Major idea, imho, would be this resonator delete, imo. I would be afraid to do it but with your valor, you could easily pull it off. keep in mind you have a classic and boost will just kill it quicker, imo. These aren't spring chickens, them are 20 year old and up pipes, wires, metal the whole nine yards. I don't think you can pull off the boost idea, imo. (any1 notice the profuse use of, imo)
Every boosted Sc is like 20 years old and there are zillions of them. The only difference is that they have 3 times the mileage. I am considering it. I am also considering leaving it alone. It's awesome to drive, but pretty slow.....
Old 08-20-14, 11:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Nice, I'm in the same boat, I want a bit more power and sound but not toooo much lol

From what I've heard on youtube removing the resonators seems to be really raspy. If I'm going to be raspy I want to be at least a bit quicker then most of the things willing to run me on the street. I don't want a super loud, 15 second car lol.. You're saying it's not raspy at all though??
The LS400 wasn't that raspy. He originally had the mufflers off and it was deep and loud. Once the resonators were off it sounded like a muscle car but didn't have all the rasp for some reason.

My LS430 was pretty raspy at first and I didn't like it. The sound changed after a few weeks and it's not too bad once the car is warmed up. I would leave the resonators on just in case.
Old 09-04-14, 09:54 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a shop cut out both of the Ys and replace the center section with straight pipes, adding a crossover exactly where the first Y was.
I figure if the integra type R could achieve nearly 200 hp with a crinkly 1-7/8" pipe, then ours should be just fine, especially with the straight thru mufflers that came stock.
Sounds great too on my sc4.
Old 09-05-14, 02:12 AM
ATP123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was just slightly raspy if i floor it. Under normal driving conditions, it sounds pretty nice. I deleted all resonators and replace the center y with an X pipe. I think it'll improve once I replace my stock mufflers.
Old 09-05-14, 06:11 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I went on and cut everything from the cat back. There is now a y pipe-> straight pipe -> magnaflows and it sounds AMAZING! It's pretty much perfect!