Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which standalone is for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 06:34 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which standalone is for me?

Pardon my stupidity, but I want to get a little clarification on some stuff bouncing around in my head. In fact, I may not even get the words down on here correctly the way they are in my brain, so I apologize in advance if it's a little confusing what I'm saying.

I come from the Z32 world where you can get the factory ECU tuned through EPROM settings to run all kinds of different injectors, single/dual maf, rev limits, timing maps, etc and run quite a bit of power w/o having to go standalone. Then I come back to the SC world, this time with intentions of 1JZ swapping (already have the motor) and find that the ECUs don't really get tuned the same as in the Z32 world and most people use MAPECU, AEM EMS or just trick their cars using SAFCs or something similar and everything is a bit more complex.

The motor is obviously a 1JZ and I'm looking to throw a 5 speed behind it (may still go with my auto that came with it). I don't want to make huge #s with a giant turbo which needs all kinds of other expensive parts to support it.

My planned setup:

Stock motor, stock cams
Aristo 440s or USDM 550s with the resistor pack
Driftmotion 60-1 or maybe a Borg Warner S360 or something similar

Anyways, I'm probably going to have a Tweek harness made as I don't feel like extending the Soarer harness I just got in (it's an auto harness) and having to deal with the shielded cable, possible missing wires that someone cut out that they didn't need on their particular setup, extending 32320 wires, etc.

ECU options I've come across that are probably best for me:

There is a local guy with a Stinger 4424 v4 with a patch harness, though I don't know if it's a pnp harness or what it was setup for. He's asking $650.

Driftmotion has the 1JZ AEM V2 for $1375 with a pnp harness that I choose whether it's 2 or 4 row, which obviously will depend on which connector I have Tweek build into the new harness.

Or I can buy a 1JZ ECU which may or may not need a cap job, then buy a MAP ECU from someone and piggy back. By the time that's done, I'm likely in between the Stinger or AEM as far as price but not being fully standalone.

As far as my goals are concerned, I just want a peppy daily driver that's fun and can lay it down from time to time, but I'm rarely going to get on it. I'm very easy on my cars, which is why I could probably make a stock 1JZ auto or w58 last, as I'd rarely get on it, no launches, no racing, nothing like that.
Old 08-26-14, 09:58 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

There is many routes to go. If you decide to keep it simple you can go with an ms3x standalone (keeping 1jz ecu to control body functions) 550cc injectors and a BW 61mm or 62mm should be a great setup for street. That's 500hp right there.
Old 08-26-14, 09:59 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

shadome tuned a 1jz with a ebay 70mm turbo, 550cc injectors and a safc tune and car made 500hp. Check out the dyno video on youtube