Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with 2 things. Starting issue/timing belt & water pump questions

Old 08-14-14, 07:09 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with 2 things. Starting issue/timing belt & water pump questions

1.)
It seems that most of the diy's I find to do the timing belt and water pump are all for ls400's. I have a '95 sc400 and just ordered a water pump/timing belt kit and seals so I'm looking for a tutorial before it arrives.

Will all of these work for my needs?
(I kind of like the last one from lexls the best, though the first is a soarer)

http://planetsoarer.com/cambelt/cambelt.htm
http://www.lextreme.com/timing.htm
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Does anyone have advice to give for the change? I know to check everything as I go to make sure I don't have to repeat steps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.)
The car just recently has decided to be troublesome with starting. It's not the starter as we replaced it at the beginning of the year. I read some places that it could be connections/grounds or something with the ignition, like the coils. However, when I shake the shifter ('95 automatic) and push it up or to the right, or just jiggle it around, it seems to start shortly after. Could a connection or something in there be causing the issue? There is a the headunit's android charger and usb and the cigarette lighter plug wires for the interior lights running under there but I'm pretty sure they're out of the way. I'm going to take apart the center console tomorrow and make sure nothing obvious is causing it, but is there anything else that someone can chime in on? I checked the fuses and didn't see any blown. It's not the battery either that I know of either. Everything works in accessory mode and is pulling the correct current. Maybe the TPS for another possible car? I don't really have an idea. It click's but doesn't start. Like I said earlier, moving the shifter around helps and one time it started by just holding the key all the way to the right for about 10 seconds and then retrying (did that for a few trys) then it finally just started right up. Hopefully that's descriptive enough to maybe get some help. Thanks in advance.

-
Old 08-15-14, 12:25 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Well all the stuff came in just now. Pretty quick for free standard shipping, but one of the o rings is split and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. Have to see when we get the other one off unless someone can confirm that for me. I'm just going to go by the Ls tutorial and see what happens I guess..
Old 08-15-14, 12:52 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Is it cranking or does the starter not engage?
Old 08-15-14, 05:08 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Is it cranking or does the starter not engage?
Not cranking, it just clicks. It started right up today though when we repositioned it in the garage.
Old 08-15-14, 05:31 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Im thinking a weak battery. If you can try a battery from another car to see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-15-14, 05:56 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

The battery was reading 14.5 from positive and negative and also at the grounds though. Since I don't think coincidences happen that often, I have a feeling it has something with the gearshifter since moving it worked both times. Is that possible?

Im thinking a weak battery. If you can try a battery from another car to see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-15-14, 10:53 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

You can check to see if the bolt from the shifter to the shift linkage is loose so the car wouldnt think its in park until you wiggle it in place. Try to readjust it to see if it works.
Old 08-16-14, 02:47 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

You can check to see if the bolt from the shifter to the shift linkage is loose so the car wouldnt think its in park until you wiggle it in place. Try to readjust it to see if it works.
Alright, I'll try that when we're done with the belt/pump. No way it's starting atm
Old 08-18-14, 02:28 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Default Need Help ASAP!

In the middle of the timing belt water pump change and am at the step where you put the new timing belt on. However, the lines on the timing belt cannot possibly line up. Nothing has moved since the beginning (drew smileys on the cam bolts and they haven't moved). Is it possible that they were not timed right before we even started the project? The right hand cam pulley appears to be 180 degrees off exactly. Need a quick response since we're stuck until we know an answer.... Thanks.
Old 08-18-14, 03:48 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Here you can see what I'm talking about. The left and bottom line up, but the right appears to be a full 180* off. Nothing has moved since the start so it must have been like that to begin with? This belt also has no writing on it and the old one didn't even have any lines to go with. It's a dayco belt I believe. Really need some help with this
Old 08-18-14, 04:15 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Old 08-18-14, 04:51 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

did you set the timing a tdc before you started?
Old 08-18-14, 05:19 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

did you set the timing a tdc before you started?
Yes we did. And it is still there right now.

----

It looks like both sides are actually off by about 180* according to where they should be lined up at the black ridges in the plastic by the cams. (1 from rh, 11 from Lh or something close to that)
Old 08-18-14, 05:57 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

It seems like if you were to rotate the crank one full turn the cams would line up.
Old 08-18-14, 07:51 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

It seems like if you were to rotate the crank one full turn the cams would line up.
That's actually exactly what we did. I realized that after two hours of over thinking it.... Simple gear ratio. We did that and tested the valve timing. They appear to line up fine, but it's all on perspective if you know what I mean. What's the best way to look at it? I tried taking a picture with a level lol. But the angle of the phone still varies so that doesn't work. Sticking my head right up to it makes it appear fine imo, and if it's "off" it can't be justified by one tooth because that would either leave the same thing but on the other side or would be even worse. Done for the night, will take another look at it tomorrow. Any advice would be great. Thanks for your time soarerboy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with 2 things. Starting issue/timing belt & water pump questions