Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with 2 things. Starting issue/timing belt & water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 08:28 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol no problem. If you think its good then it probably is. If you can turn the crank a full revolution to see if anything changes, sometimes the tension changes making your timing off by tooth or something. Im just glad you figured it out.
Old 08-18-14, 09:08 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Lol no problem. If you think its good then it probably is. If you can turn the crank a full revolution to see if anything changes, sometimes the tension changes making your timing off by tooth or something. Im just glad you figured it out.
I'll probably turn it twice again tomorrow and see how they line up. If they look the same, I'm just going to leave it. I may pick up some spark plugs and wires tomorrow depending on what's in stock. Might as well replace them while I have the necessary stuff off. Just need to do research on what one's are best to go with. Any thoughts on that? haha
Old 08-18-14, 10:03 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

hahaha im sure any brand name plugs will do. Keep us updated.
Old 08-19-14, 04:06 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Almost done, realigned it today and it looks much better. Just need to put the hydraulic fan back in and fill everything up. Ordered the spark plug wires and plugs (NGK laser iridium plugs and NGK spark plug wires) from rockauto earlier and they were sent out to be shipped already. Should be here by Friday I guess.
Old 08-19-14, 05:03 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Cool rockauto has awesome prices
Old 08-20-14, 12:20 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Finished putting the accessory belt and the hydraulic fan back on. Then realized this connector was broken. What is it to? Or what is it for? Fix / replacement?

Broken connector

------

Where the broken connector was plugged into

------

Where the wire for the connector location leads to
Old 08-20-14, 01:26 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Looks like a crank or cam sensor. Is the wire shielded? That can explain your starting issue.
Old 08-20-14, 02:02 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Looks like a crank or cam sensor. Is the wire shielded? That can explain your starting issue.
The wire that was broken was just hanging there and the other one was barely attached. It must have been broken already or something (or on it's way there) because it wasn't even disconnected in the change. Do you know where I can buy a new connector housing? About to attempt surgery with two other wires from a housing that wouldn't fit found at pull&pay. Don't really know what to do other than that. Tried finding a part number but closest thing was 10887. With that all I could find was a connector for a sc430. (90980-10887) idk
Old 08-20-14, 02:24 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

I believe it's to the hydraulic fan pump actually.
Old 08-20-14, 03:30 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Alright I got it. Took the insides of the incorrect connector and put them in the one with broken wires. Spliced the wires together and taped them really well. Then taped both of them well to try and protect them. Probably finish up everything later or tomorrow. Spark plugs and wires hadn't even left rokauto last time I checked so I guess leave the current ones in for now. Those probably won't be here until Monday. I checked the 4 gear shifter bolts under the black cover and they were all tight. Did some more research and I think it may be the neutral safety switch. Guess we'll take a look at that as well.
Old 08-20-14, 07:56 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Glad you got it figured the wires out. Did you check underneath the car? Its a 12mm bolt holding the shift linkage to the shifter.
Old 08-20-14, 10:31 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Glad you got it figured the wires out. Did you check underneath the car? Its a 12mm bolt holding the shift linkage to the shifter.
No we didn't check that but I knew it was down there by the transmission or something. Fixed that wire and finished putting together everything. Then the moment of truth came and it fired right up Except it still needed more coolant so after about a minute (or a few) it start running hot so we shut it off and finished filling that up. If the starting problem pops up again we'll take a look underneath but for now it's alright. I didn't hear it but apparently the air conditioner is making a noise now but it still works correctly. So I'll check that out tomorrow.
Old 11-28-14, 07:59 AM
pcolex
Driver School Candidate

For what its worth, I just got done doing the timing belt on my 93 SC400. The following two tools were very helpful. I used a tool to hold the crank steady in order to get the crank bolt off (and torque back on) - google Schley (SCH64300) Lexus and Toyota Harmonic Damper Pulley Holding Tool. I also used a tool to keep the cam steady (or rotate slightly) - google Wilmar W89208 Cam Pulley Holder. Even though these were one-time use tools, I'd buy them all over again.