Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C refrigerant level

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 08:29 PM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
... and sure enough, my system is leaking at both the High and Low schraeder valves, plus two o-rings at the compressor.
So did your mechanic change these items? They may be able to hold some pressure, but may fail at the higher pressures when the compressor is pumping. I would expect to see 200 to 230 psi on the high side when everything is happy.

I was faced with a big bill for my FZJ80 air conditioner rebuild. I bought the parts and vacuum and gauges and saved a ton of money. My mechanic wanted >350 to do a compressor and vac/fill, plus parts. I replaced the compressor, expansion valve, evaporator, and drier for about the same money. And all the O-rings, which is fairly easy. I'm not sure how easy an SC would be though...

If anything, get some cheap gauges from HarborFright. There's lots of info on the 'net about how to use them.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-14, 11:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

He didn't proceed with changing out the alleged leaks, since there was no indication that the leaks truly existed. I've been meaning to put my recharge gauge back on the low side valve to see what it's showing for pressure now that things are back to tumultuous...

Does the high side run at significantly higher pressure than the low side? I don't know much about how that works, but 200-230 psi is a lot higher than anything I've run across in my limited research. The HF gauges are good enough for that sort of thing? I find their stuff to be pretty hit or miss and mostly stick to items that don't require much precision.