Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC4 Engine Idle/Whining Issue Update

Old 08-11-14, 06:40 AM
excaliber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 SC4 Engine Idle/Whining Issue Update

So this is an update to a problem that was going on previously.

The other day my cars rpms dropped low enough while idling for the car to turn off 4 times. This hasnt happened since but did happen a few years ago and the problem just went away that time as well. When it was happening the one constant was that the car always without fail turned right back on, thendrove fairly normally for the rest of the day.

Around the same time and a bit before that, my car makes an annoying whining sound when at idle with the rpms dipping low. I usually, after warming up with air off, idle around 200-400 rpm and super quietly which I love, but now the car will whine at idel at stoplights and in park/neutral.

I added power steering fluid 2 days ago and the car drove without rpm/sound issues and without any visible leaks on the ground but today while driving to work and being at idle for a longer than normal traffic light the rpms began to drop and the sound suddenly came back.

The closest things to a solution ive found in the forums would be a fuel pump resistor which seems like the problem at the beginning of the post.

I will say also that the problems began directly after having a PA state safety and emissions inspection.

Any help or ideas would be great as moneys tight and that sound and the new unreliability of the Lex is a bit frustrating.
Old 08-11-14, 07:39 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

This is a complete out-of-left-field shot in the dark, but look at your ECU for corrosion. I only say this because your car ran well for 2 days and then returned to problematic behavior, which is exactly what mine seems to do whenever I think I've solved something. This learning ECU can make you question your sanity... Mine ended up needing repairs, but I haven't done anything in the week since to see if that affects the "return to chaos" behavior after working on other things. Who knows, it could be a programming quirk.
Old 08-11-14, 07:58 AM
excaliber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the power steering has alot to do with it. Its pretty much the only fluid I have had to put in in over 5 years of ownership. I have to put a small amount in every 2-4 months.
Today, after adding fluid on Saturday and having the car run whine/rpm issue free, I was stopped in drive, letting my wife out at work and all the sudden, rpms start to dip, sound returns, I turn wheel side to side and sound increases with each turn. Ialso want to see if i can add Dexron Mercon ATF to the resevoir cap eventhough I have been putting basic stp steering fluid in previously.
Ive had a few checks on my ecu in the past but my car in the past 5 years has never thrown a code thankfully. Thanks man
Old 08-11-14, 08:29 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

I was going to say it sounds like two separate issues, but it could be as simple as too much resistance on the serpentine belt when the PS pump acts up, which would be most noticeable at low RPM, i.e. at idle.