Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Map ecu 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 11:00 AM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map ecu 3

Anyone have any experience with this setup?

-with stock ecu?

-with tt ecu?

http://www.mapecu.co.nz/products/
Old 08-06-14, 09:13 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

I ran the 1st map - ecu on my old singled 1jz sc300 and I liked it, was very easy to use
I have the the map ecu 3 on my new one currently not running yet though
IMO it's one of the best piggybacks and a good choice for not having $ for pricey standalones
Old 08-06-14, 09:47 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

can this work for a 400?
Old 08-07-14, 08:08 AM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300bigtx
I ran the 1st map - ecu on my old singled 1jz sc300 and I liked it, was very easy to use
I have the the map ecu 3 on my new one currently not running yet though
IMO it's one of the best piggybacks and a good choice for not having $ for pricey standalones

Thanks, good to know.

I was wondering in regards to using it in conjunction with the stock GE ecu; did you (or anyone else) happen to run it that way?
Old 08-07-14, 10:16 AM
sc300bigtx
Driver

Yes you can run it on the 2jzge ecu as well use the diagram per their instructions to install it
Old 08-07-14, 11:45 AM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

Yes you can run it on the 2jzge ecu as well use the diagram per their instructions to install it
Nice, looks like I have a tt ecu to sell
Old 08-07-14, 12:30 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

The map ecu has it's own forum and they are very helpful with any questions of problems
Old 08-07-14, 01:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have used it on the stock ge ecu and its pretty bad. its not the same thing as using it on a 2jzgte ecu which is what most of the people who have a good experience to share use it on.

notice he said 1jz which is a map sensor turbo ecu car. not like your 2jzge ecu which gets confused by boost.

The map ecu is a great piggyback, when used on a turbo ecu.
all piggybacks are not so great when used on a non-turbo ecu, it will not cure the problems the non turbo ecu has with boost, it might bandaid it though for a little while.
Old 08-07-14, 02:12 PM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have used it on the stock ge ecu and its pretty bad. its not the same thing as using it on a 2jzgte ecu which is what most of the people who have a good experience to share use it on.

notice he said 1jz which is a map sensor turbo ecu car. not like your 2jzge ecu which gets confused by boost.

The map ecu is a great piggyback, when used on a turbo ecu.
all piggybacks are not so great when used on a non-turbo ecu, it will not cure the problems the non turbo ecu has with boost, it might bandaid it though for a little while.
Well that's not what I wanted to hear

Was really trying to keep the GE ecu so I do not have to mess with my transmission...

I'm guessing the issue lies in the translating of MAP into a Maf signal, and then the stock ecu's interpretation of that data...

I was really hoping to keep this as simple as possible; but what started in my mind as a bolton turbo kit is growing into much more, including possible a trans swap and all the other issues that will create
Old 08-07-14, 07:36 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

I think you should join the forums I mention and talk to "mapecuman" think that's his username
Your using the the map ecu 3 which most users here have only used map ecu and map ecu 2
The 3 may cater to the ecu more beneficial this time
Old 08-08-14, 07:55 AM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

I think you should join the forums I mention and talk to "mapecuman" think that's his username
Your using the the map ecu 3 which most users here have only used map ecu and map ecu 2
The 3 may cater to the ecu more beneficial this time
Thanks, I did.
Old 08-08-14, 08:02 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur the GE ECU is not fun to tune with the MAP-ECU, but it can be done. Think it's because of the Karmen Vortex, not 100% sure I remember correctly

GTE ecu is a piece of cake. I've used map ECU since 2006 with every JZ motor combo imaginable NA,NA-t,1JZ,2JZ-GTE, ETC making 700rwhp daily with the GTE ecu. Also used it with modified GTE ecu's which really make it easy, relieving boost and speed cut with higher RPM. Also in conjunction with the OBD1 Datalogger to log OEM ECU timing and other sensors.
Old 08-08-14, 10:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stevegrizz
Well that's not what I wanted to hear

Was really trying to keep the GE ecu so I do not have to mess with my transmission...

I'm guessing the issue lies in the translating of MAP into a Maf signal, and then the stock ecu's interpretation of that data...

I was really hoping to keep this as simple as possible; but what started in my mind as a bolton turbo kit is growing into much more, including possible a trans swap and all the other issues that will create
If you had asked anyone who has already been na-t, they would have told you 2 things.

1) thats what I thought also when I first bought my "bolt on" turbo kit.
2) engine management is the most important part of na-t.

turns out its easy to bolt on a turbo kit to a 2jzge. that part took me 2 days the first time and a good amount of beers. getting it to drive from my apartment to work which was under 2 miles away might I throw in there, took me several months and the map ecu did not do as good as the safc for me with the stock ecu. don't misunderstand me though, both are horrible on the stock ecu. I couldn't stand my car stalling at stop lights or idling terribly lean randomly or backfiring in boost when ecu gets confused, so i ripped it out and got an aem ems at the time cause the tt ecu mod was not mainstream yet.

I really wish it was better news, but if you want to run everything you have and not change a thing, you need an aem ems v1 and a full tune. it gets pricey as well.
Old 08-08-14, 10:26 AM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
If you had asked anyone who has already been na-t, they would have told you 2 things.

1) thats what I thought also when I first bought my "bolt on" turbo kit.
2) engine management is the most important part of na-t.

turns out its easy to bolt on a turbo kit to a 2jzge. that part took me 2 days the first time and a good amount of beers. getting it to drive from my apartment to work which was under 2 miles away might I throw in there, took me several months and the map ecu did not do as good as the safc for me with the stock ecu. don't misunderstand me though, both are horrible on the stock ecu. I couldn't stand my car stalling at stop lights or idling terribly lean randomly or backfiring in boost when ecu gets confused, so i ripped it out and got an aem ems at the time cause the tt ecu mod was not mainstream yet.

I really wish it was better news, but if you want to run everything you have and not change a thing, you need an aem ems v1 and a full tune. it gets pricey as well.

I was under the impression the AEM didn't control the trans?

for the cost of all that I might as well just get the 2jzgte auto swap I have seen I e bay for 1600- 2000ish. Just a lot more work to put it all together.
Old 08-08-14, 12:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

aem might not support it but there are aem auto cars. yeah a swap is not a horrible idea but don't just factor in that price you may need to tear it down and do a whole seal job, timing belt water pump etc.. they don't all come in perfect advertised condition. then they usually are aristo front sump you you will need to borrow that from your n/a or get a rear oil pan kit. same with motor mounts have to borrow from the n/a or get others. plus other small things but swapping is not a bad route I personally like the stock twins, well the US ones anyways.

why are you even trying to keep the stock automatic, if you run boost for long enough its going to break. might as well manual swap or upgrade it now instead of making choices around the most underbuilt part of the SC.

Quick Reply: Map ecu 3