Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

60 days after the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 06:43 PM
gavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 days after the Turbo

Dec 1st I ruined my clutch by trying to drive home on an ankle which I later found out I broke. So sense I needed a new clutch, might as well put a turbo in as well, right?. So I did, went out and bought some tools and lights from Sears jacked up my car and went to work.

It took me about 1 week to install everything (new clutch, new exhaust, turbo, new electronics, new fuel pump, short throw sifter, and everything else needed to make this work). I bought CmputerWiz car which was in need of a head gasket, so I had to pull everything off that car, then reinstall it on mine (including his clutch).

I figured I would give a status report on how the car is after 60 days with the turbo. I remember I waited a good 8 months reading CL all the time wondering what all these guys with turbos were talking about. Now I know. I am not sure why I waited so long....oh that’s right I was broke. Either way, I think I would have robbed a 7-11 in order to get the money for a turbo...it was well worth it.

So after I finished installing everything I turned on the car and what do you know, everything worked. I was in shock, thinking for sure I would ruin my car by installing a turbo my self. (you don't know how hard it is to get yourself to drill a hole in a perfectly good block). But it was great, I backed out of the driveway and stalled. I installed a Stage 5 clutch, as that’s what CmputerWiz had, and it has a little bit of a learning curve. I then drove around very slowly in first gear not knowing what I was supposed to listen for. I then replaced the oil, and decided this time I was gonna get to 2nd gear.

So I go on a straight road out where I live (where no one else lives) and hit the gas....new exhaust sounds great but dont really notice a huge amount of power....oh wait...just hit 3,000RPMS and all I remember is me saying "holly crap!". I then let go of the gas and heard the waste gate and blow off value and pulled over. You see, I never heard a turbo car before so that scared the living **** out of me. But a quick search online and I realized this was normal...and back out to work. I didn’t realize how fast it was, because I was so nervous about the car dieing on me, but after I got over that...this car is fast. Feels great, I now see why people own supras.

I put a short throw with a stage 5 clutch, which meant a large learning curve. But now I am so happy, I can make it pretty smooth, and I can have the turbo spooled and pop the clutch and everything just grips. Good times.

My car is stocking looking on the outside and all the turbo gauges are inside my glove compartment. I am in orlando florida, and tons of cars have the show, but not many have the go. Its great when some little honda guns it at a light not expecting a lexus with pin stripes to eat them alive. Its great to see their face, but even better to see the look on my passengers wondering what the hell just happened (as most dont know I have a turbo).

Either way, I love it. I love the short throw, and I have come to love a Stage 5 clutch.

I can actually say I am 100% happy with my car, which is something I have never been able to say before. Its like a girl being able to say she’s 100% happy with her body.

Now after doing the entire install myself, I know a lot about turbo systems and the lexus. I have sense done a lot of work on my friends cars, and its something I really really enjoy.

Hell, if anyone ever wants to install a turbo...I would help ya out. Let you know the secrets to make it go quicker.

Much love to CmpterWiz for his perfect 20/20 vision after I did everything. me: "yea, it took me 2 hours to find that you have to pop off the rubber to get to the screws". him: "yup....". me: "why didnt you tell me that before". him: "you didnt ask".

Just thought I would let you know, and I will show all you orlando guys at the next central florida meet.

Gavin
Old 02-23-03, 06:47 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woman 100% happy with her body...HA! That was a good one!

You need to post some pics of the install! Yes!

SR
Old 02-23-03, 08:11 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

....new exhaust sounds great but dont really notice a huge amount of power....oh wait...just hit 3,000RPMS and all I remember is me saying "holly crap!". I then let go of the gas and heard the waste gate and blow off value and pulled over.
LOL - classic. Sounds like you've done well. Good work. I suspect we have similar set-ups. And you still have wiz's old SC300 sitting around I take it (I was wondering who got their hands on that). Blown hg? What are your plans for the rest of the stuff?

Good luck. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-23-03, 08:15 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

ME ME ME I'm taking it back. Go away AWJ! :-D
SR

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 02-23-03 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 08:19 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Cool

I don't have the time, the space, or the money for it right now anyways. So you back on the scene, Wiz, or what? How's the nsx treating ya?
Old 02-23-03, 08:31 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

NSX is treating me good! I'm loving this thing. Been replacing everything I can with carbon fiber and pulling off anything that doesnt need to be there. I've gotten it below 2800lbs so far. Intake, exhaust, headers, test pipes, 4.23 rear, short gears, nitrous. Next is the Basch supercharger.

I'm trying to get about 400hp to the wheels, daily driver, that can autocross like no tomorrow.

SR

edit: I'm sure if you offered him more cash then me you would get it, but for sentimental value I think I wanna get it.

SR

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 02-23-03 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 08:41 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Wowsers. Autocross - I'd love to get into that and might if I can find some time, maybe a year from now summer '04. Don't know how well a jzz31 would take to it though - seen a couple. Sounds like you've got a screamer there. I'll be getting some cf components eventually also but that stuff is on hold for a little while.

Nice work to you too man - we should get a high performance meet going when a couple of the other guys get their cars finished. Cruise in out in Miami (the old lady really wants to get out and get some relax time) or wherever the nearest track is. Could be real fun.

edit: It's all good with the red and white beast. Snap it back up man. If it is around in August I might consider it - but for now, I can't.

Last edited by awj; 02-23-03 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 09:26 PM
bmsports
Driver School Candidate

Nice, i wanna see some pics!! I live one hour from orlando and i'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the next meet. i'm new to the Lexus racket, but i'm doing the GTE swap this summer. I've done a few sr20 swaps, a vg30dett, 4g63 (sucked) and a chevy 350 a long time ago, but i've never done anything with a toyota product. I'm stoked about it, doing all kinds of info reconnaissance now before i dive in.
Old 02-23-03, 10:36 PM
racing fan
Driver

If you're ever bored I'd love to read everyhting that came up during your install I'll be putting in a sp66+fuel+tranny+engine management in the next month or so...

What kit did you go with?
Old 02-24-03, 05:38 AM
octane300
Lead Lap

Whattup Gavin:

Great to hear that the turbo is up and running. I forgot to tell ya the other day, but I had those nasty pinstripes on my new sc too. If youre stripes are painted on, and youre looking for a quick fix, use some laquer thinner on a cloth and you'll be done in about 30 minutes.

I stopped by an autopaint shop this past weekend. The guy gave me a cup of thinner and a few rags. The stuff came off after only a few wipes and a bit of elbow grease. Didnt mess up the black paint finish either. Good times, indeed!

I'll holla when I get back up to Orlando.

Doug
Old 02-24-03, 01:51 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Wow sounds like a n ice setup now. I havent seen any turbo SCs in florida yet but if you can try to make it to the orlando meet coming in march. So doug you sold you're 97 red SC for a black SC? What year. Anyways hope you both can make it out and also congrats on the SC gavin.
Old 02-24-03, 02:38 PM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Congratulations!
Always good to hear another success story. And way to go bro!
Hope to see ya at the meet.
Old 02-24-03, 07:46 PM
WMP
Rookie

Sounds badass! Which kit did you use? ToyoMoto? F-Max? Interestingly enough Turbonetics recently purchased F-Max. Could mean good things for further 2JZ-GE kit development.

www.toyomoto.com

www.f-max.com

www.turboneticsinc.com
Old 02-24-03, 10:05 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Congrats!

Hey. CONGRATS Gavin! I think I'm most impressed that it all worked the first time! (I'm still looking forward to that feeling ) I too would like to see awrite up of your project. Like many others here, I'm getting ready to take the plunge myself. Always nice to hear the success stories

Congrats and mad props!
Old 02-26-03, 07:07 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Computerwiz's car was a Toyomoto kit, like mine. Very streetable, instant boost, insanely quick on the street if not the ultimate on top end. However, top end is good enough on this kit to kill the Z06, some Vipers, and most 11-12 second cars.

Quick Reply: 60 days after the Turbo