Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Drag Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 05:44 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Drag Tire Recommendations

Looking for any recommendations for my drag tire setup. Key note is this is meant to be a budget poor man's drag setup, not a $1000 Weld wheel setup.

I currently have a pair of FD rims (16x8) that I got for cheap that I'd like to use in the back. Considering the rim is only 8" wide, I was thinking I ought to keep the tire width no wider than say 11" (275). I want this to fit in my wheel well as is also.

So now considering I know just about nothing about slicks, here's some thoughts I had.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...rentProductId=
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...rentProductId=
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/17...rentProductId=

My inspiration on this wheel setup was Reid's budget drag wheel setup. Keep in mind this is a Supra so I believe his rear wheel wells are probably a little wider. He also ran 295 tires (11.5") which to me seems a bit wide for an 8" wide rim. He's also around 1000hp I believe where I'll be closer to the 600-700 range.
http://www.spracingforum.com/forums/...a-in-Drag-Mode

Thoughts? I'd like to stick with one of the DOT tires vs. a full on slick, but again willing to hear what anyone has to offer because I'm a drag slick newb.
Old 07-30-14, 06:09 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in for responses. I need this info as well
Old 07-30-14, 06:29 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your running track only with them, spend the extra and get the Mickey Thompson ET's. They have the best track grip by far for a radial and dont require a long warm up/burnout. But street traction is minimal dry, and nonexistent when wet.

If your going to use them street and strip 50/50 or so, the Nitto NT555DR's (what I run) work pretty decent all around, but require a lower pressure at the track to get a solid hook. Street and wet driving is normal, but throttle control on turn exits should be noted.

Another set that is a bit cheaper but close to the MT ET's, would be the Nitto NT05R's. I have never used these myself, but have seen a few 5-700hp cars run these at the track and hook pretty hard. Info I got on them about street use was similar to the MT's.

I have never used Hooiser's, but hey..they are Mickey's main competition IMO.

I currently daily my drag setup, 165/80/15 front runners with 275/50/15 NT555dr's and I love the performance. While they hook decent at the track, Im still seeing wheel spin at 18psi in the tire with a stock LS1/T56 and am going to switch to a 275/60/15 and a diff change.

Sorry I dont have much more info. I would suggest looking at a few other forums where drag racing is more common and search for cars in your HP/weight range and see what they are running.
Old 07-30-14, 07:40 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

What I'm wanting to put on these FD rims is strictly drag strip use. Maybe there will be that one time I want to use them on the street, but that's not really my intent. FD rims = Drag Strip. My normal wheels are just stock TT Supra wheels which will be getting something like you mentioned, very sticky street tires like the 555's, also looking at Kumho XS's. But not trying to get into that right now. What I'm looking for are drag strip slicks to throw on these FD rims.

I also wasn't really planning on getting skinny's for up front if I don't have to, if that affects anything. So I'd probably just still have my normal old 17's up front with whatever tires I have on there.

Also, you said MT ET's. So which ones are you saying, the ET Street Radial Drag or the ET Street Drag?

Last edited by Halon; 07-30-14 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-30-14, 08:52 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Sorry, I meant the ET Street drag radials. I have run these in the past and know several cars pushing well over 700rwhp running them with a 275/60 and hook perfect.

Also for the Kumho XS's, avoid them. I had a set before switching to my drag radials and they wouldnt grip anything even with a 295/35/17@16-20psi, track, street, and normal driving was garbage. I traded them with my old wheels for my Weld setup and have no regrets.
Old 07-30-14, 08:57 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

So you'd recommend ET Street Drag Radials as my drag strip only tire setup? Again I'm a total newb here, but I would have thought something like the standard ET's would have been a more ideal drag only tire.

Thanks for the feedback !!
Old 09-07-14, 03:30 AM
Blakenz
Driver School Candidate

if you need to ensure hook up, and they are drag only tires, i suggest the et streets, not the et street radials.
the 26 by 11.5 by 16 will fit on a 8 inch rim. And will fit in your wheel well no problems.
Old 09-07-14, 09:48 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

A buddy of mines is running the hoosier drag radials on FD wheels also. 255/50/16 and he hooks pretty good at 580whp. He says he sometimes bogs if he doesnt rev high enough which is around 6k rpm. He only uses it for track and has knocked 1s off his 1/4mi time with 2.0 60' which i think is ok but it can be better. I guess you just gotta find the sweet spot to leave at the line.
Old 09-07-14, 10:39 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Halon
So you'd recommend ET Street Drag Radials as my drag strip only tire setup? Again I'm a total newb here, but I would have thought something like the standard ET's would have been a more ideal drag only tire.

Thanks for the feedback !!
I misread your original post. ET Street, not the radials. That was my fault.

There are some others listed here that may help with your decision.

When I first read the post I could have sworn you posted street and track use, hence I suggested the ET radials.