Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Found a few promising turbo engines, help me pick one

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 10:04 AM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a few promising turbo engines, help me pick one

I'm looking for a turbo engine to put in my 92 SC300. I'm leaning towards a 5 speed setup, but probably wouldn't be opposed to saving a pile of cash by using an auto engine instead. Being able to put it in gear and just go would be nice, and I have a 5 speed twin turbo 300ZX if I want to bang gears while boosting, but the allure of 2 5 speed turbo cars is nice.

Anyways, on to the selections:

1: Aristo 2JZ-GTE about 3 hours away. $1500, but is only motor and ecu. The wiring is sold, also he had an aftermarket exhaust manifold and turbo on it which are now sold, so it just has the intake side stuff. New starter, new valve cover seals, new coil pack cover, etc. No idea when timing belt and water pump were done, but it's from an individual who is close so I can inspect it, pull the plugs and turn it over to see how freely it spins, etc. Also, since it's in his MK 3 Supra, I'm assuming he already put a rear sump pan on it.

2: Rear sump 1JZ VVTI with auto trans, from JDM Miami for $1400 plus shipping. The same basic stuff most JDM importers include: trans, wiring, ecu, etc. Going to see how much shipping is and if they have compression videos so I can at least see that.

3: Front sump 1JZ VVTI with 5 speed from JDM Engine Zone for $2300 plus shipping. Once again, the same basic stuff JDM importers include. I emailed them to see if they had compression videos so I could pick from a couple for a friend to go check out at their warehouse for me and pick out the best of the bunch for me to purchase. (Their pictures are generic so MAYBE there's a rear sump 5 speed combo there)

4: Front sump 1JZ with 5 speed from JDM Engine Zone for $2350 plus shipping. Same as above, just the older twin turbo model. (Their pictures are generic so MAYBE there's a rear sump 5 speed combo there)

There are a few others, some 2JZ VVTIs but I've pretty much phased those out. I kinda dig the local'ish guys 2JZ GTE since I can look at it, but obviously I'd have to source a wiring harness from Ebay or someone on here or Supra Forums or whatever. There's another local'ish guy selling an R154 with extended shifter and a 6 puck clutch, but it doesn't look like the pressure plate is included, and the matching pressure plate is pretty damn high dollar. So for $3000, I have a 2JZ GTE needing a manifold and turbo and wiring, and an R154 needing a new clutch kit essentially. That's why the $2300-2350 1JZs are tempting from JDM Engine Zone assuming they'll let my friend inspect them and show me compression videos. And for $1400, if the engine is right, I don't think I'd mind an auto behind the one from JDM Miami.

I'm a libra, and we're TERRIBLE at making decisions, so that's my predicament.
Old 07-25-14, 10:10 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not 1jzgte auto w/ harness etc. etc.? I got mine for 1300 shipped when I got a rod knock and took 3 days to do the swap w/ 1 person helping for a couple hours.

BTW to make your life easier, rear sumps are the way to go. Save you from a good headache!
Old 07-25-14, 10:15 AM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose I could always get the 1JZ rear sump with auto, and that guys r154...then since I'll have a 1JZ flywheel I won't have to worry about sourcing one to make it work I didn't really think of that...it's essentially the same price but a newer engine and it'll have the much cooler vvti coil pack cover lol

You gave me a whole NEW way to look at it, thanks!