Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Car shuts off when i turn off the A/C

Old 07-20-14, 10:12 AM   #1
amckoy96
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

Default Car shuts off when i turn off the A/C

Car shuts off whenever i turn off the A/C.Anyone ever had this problem before?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
amckoy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 11:35 AM   #2
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Boostdaddyswag Bad954boi Boostdaddyswag

sounds like you have a short... is it a stumble to a engine shut off or is it instantly?
Dual Magnaflow's -ID 1000's -TTC 268 cams -BC Springs/Retainers -TT HG w/ARP Head Studs -C.O.P converted -Eagle rods w/ACL bearings -Bosch 044 x2 -BW 9180 -TIAL 44mm WG -TIAL 50mm BOV -Soarer R154 w/SB Extreme Clutch w/DM lightweight flywheel -TT Auto Diff -Custom FFIM -LS400 BBK -MegaSquirt v3 -Megan Coilovers!!.. NOW visual effects!!
My Lexus: Is Like a Stripper I Keep Throwing Money At Her Hoping She Will Give Me The Ride Of My Life!!!
*have to find out the hard way*
BAD954BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 01:31 PM   #3
amckoy96
Driver School Candidate

It happens when i slow down to a stop.If im on the highway at cruising speed and shuts off the A/C,it will continue to run,but if i slow down to like 10-5 mph it shuts off.I put it in neutral turn the key and starts rite back up.
amckoy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 03:48 AM   #4
Powerline
Rookie

My car does the same thing! I asked around in this forum but never really got repiles.
Powerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 08:58 AM   #5
Tabaka
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (8)

shanetabaka shanetabaka shanetabaka shane_tabaka
Send a message via AIM to Tabaka Send a message via MSN to Tabaka

Sounds like the IACV or even the MAF is shot. The IACV controls your idle speed. When things are turned on like your lights, radio, A/C, etc, the throttle opens a touch more to allow air. If the accessories are turned off, it closes up a touch. If your IACV is dirty or even malfunctioning, it literally chokes your car. You can clean the IACV by removing it, cleaning with Q-Tips and rags, then reinstall it. You might want to clean your TB a bit as well. Now, if it's your MAF, the car will die in a similar fashion. However, a MAF error will create a CEL light. I would check your codes at that point to see what it's telling you. I don't know what year your car is, but you can hook up a OBD2 scanner on vehicles 96+. If it's a 95 and older, you can actually get the codes with a paper clip. Do a search on these forums for the appropriate way to read codes on an OBD1 car. If you need help locating your IACV, let me know.

-Tab

1st Gen SC... it's like a hot girl with Herpes, Syphilis, and AIDS
Tabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 05:40 PM   #6
Powerline
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaka View Post
Sounds like the IACV or even the MAF is shot. The IACV controls your idle speed. When things are turned on like your lights, radio, A/C, etc, the throttle opens a touch more to allow air. If the accessories are turned off, it closes up a touch. If your IACV is dirty or even malfunctioning, it literally chokes your car. You can clean the IACV by removing it, cleaning with Q-Tips and rags, then reinstall it. You might want to clean your TB a bit as well. Now, if it's your MAF, the car will die in a similar fashion. However, a MAF error will create a CEL light. I would check your codes at that point to see what it's telling you. I don't know what year your car is, but you can hook up a OBD2 scanner on vehicles 96+. If it's a 95 and older, you can actually get the codes with a paper clip. Do a search on these forums for the appropriate way to read codes on an OBD1 car. If you need help locating your IACV, let me know.

-Tab
Sweet I going to try this. Hopefully it works!
Powerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:18 PM   #7
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

message me if you want to know

my car does the same thing. so i jus leave my AC on the entire time that i drive. i prolly need to change the iacv as well but it doesnt seem easy to do with the 95 model compared to the earlier models
bigwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:18 PM