Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZGTE VVTI IN SC300 wiring question

Old 07-15-14, 12:43 PM
driftnh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1JZGTE VVTI IN SC300 wiring question

hey guys im rather new to the toyota game and have a question about a swap i am currently doing

i have a 93 sc300 auto trans bone stock non vvti, the engine crapped out so i got a new 1jzgte vvti front sump i believe it was pulled from a chaser. the 1jz is complete it comes with a single turbo, auto trans, harness, etc. i want to make this swap as simple as possible and will be keeping the car auto, id like to keep the 1jz swap complete with the way i got it. ive already swapped the rear sump onto the engine and am ready to install it but am still a little confused about the wiring is it possible to re pin and extend the harnesses to work like stock so i can plug it in and go? if so does anyone have the diagrams to the auto ecu's i have?
Old 07-15-14, 04:04 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Hello and welcome!

Looks like you've taken care of one of the major things (oil pan swap). There are ECU pinouts for the 1JZ-GTE VVTi engine available in a couple of threads on this forum. The Chaser version is very common and I do believe the information for it is in those threads. Be sure to use the automatic transmission that came with the 1JZ engine. Your stock SC300 auto transmission will not hold up to the torque. Not sure if there are any driveshaft differences.

I believe the relevant thread(s) have "1JZ VVT-i" and "pinout" in the title.

Also, I hope you have a version of the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i that is NON-DBW. Later 1JZ's mostly used in Toyota Crowns (no idea if other models were included) used a fully electronic drive-by-wire throttle which is difficult to swap to SC's. Since you have a Chaser 1JZ I think you should be fine.
Old 07-22-14, 05:16 AM
driftnh
Driver School Candidate

ok quick update,

the swap is out of a 2001 toyota crown with dbw kinda bummed but what ever just a little more repining and wiring if the motor/trans is all controlled from the ecu then it should run fine just be a matter of repinning the body plugs to the ecu so everything reads correctly my biggest concern is if the ecu has immovilizer or not if it does cant i just call e-keys for cars and have them reflash it so its all synced (key, car, ecu)???
Old 07-23-14, 01:28 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ This will not be as straightforward as other 1JZGTE VVT-i swaps in that case. I cannot help you with details but you should do much reading. You may need, at minimum: a different wiring harness (or just a LOT more rewiring), an older style Soarer 2.5GT or Chaser Tourer V 1JZ VVT-i ECU (automatic will be far easier to get) and possibly a matching throttle control parts. The chief problems are the harness wiring being far more different, the ECU not being compatible with the cable-driven throttle control and possibly some sort of CANBUS style specification for that Crown ECU.

It's been covered in the forums. Search in those 1JZ VVT-i threads I mentioned above.

Good luck, sincerely. When you figure it out you'll be very happy with the new engine. It's just more work and troubleshooting versus the Chaser/Soarer versions.
Old 07-23-14, 08:31 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

i swapped a chaser 1jz vvti into my car and i had to redo a lot of wiring (92 SC400). be prepared for a lot of rewiring, or contact a wiring harness guy like dr. tweak to do it for you.

you will likely have to get rid of the DBW throttle body, unless you get a gas pedal assembly out of a crown also.

Marko
Old 07-23-14, 06:09 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jzx99/100 to sc is easy as f, you people are just spoiled because the soarer swaps are damn near plug and play hondaboy-easy status haha.

Have you ever wired anything up, and were you good at it? You've basically got the worst possible swap as far as wiring goes for this chassis. The crown/jzx110 harnesses are perfect for an IS or 2gs, anything else a nightmare. The ecu is in the engine bay where the battery would be in the sc, and the way they manufacture the 171/110 harnesses they don't like being re-routed without looking super ghetto or IMO and experience, significant work that's more difficult than building one from scratch. I've personally said screw this on your exact harness for another chassis with similar layout as sc and built my own.

Also, I'd superduperduper suggest never going to dr tweak (cam, tweak tech). Google search panicwire, guys name is mark panic. If I don't have the time to do customer swap harnesses, I have him build them or convert them. One of the best in the business, many different choices for style/materials, does standalone swap harnesses, whatever you need. Contact him, he has better prices usually as well and zero issues.

Also, jzx100 ecu is way better, and there's also the pnp PowerFC for it too
Old 07-25-14, 11:45 PM
driftnh
Driver School Candidate

so im at a standstill right now i cant find any diagrams for the ecu that i have so repining the body plugs and lining things up is seaming near impossible at this rate what are my options esu wise? what ecu will work with the jzs171 swap/harness i have?

p.s. im not worried about the dbw tb i found a link that shows how to convert it to full cable operated

Last edited by driftnh; 08-08-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 01:25 PM
driftnh
Driver School Candidate

any body have any advice?
Old 08-25-14, 04:53 PM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trace the wires from the 1jz body plug connectors from the ecu and pin them into the sc300 body/chassis connectors. IK1, IJ1 etc
Pretty much all you do is, leave the engine portion of the 1jz connectors untouched, all you need to look at is the body plug connectors from 1jz connectors and merge them to your sc300 body plugs.
This may help:

Old 08-23-17, 10:44 AM
is200gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above diagram is for a JZS171 ecu or a JZX110?
Is there any ECU diagram for JZS171 available? I am trying to Swap a Crown 1JZ engine on to my 1st Gen IS200 and i am out of luck...