Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

smoking and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 05:13 PM
acidronin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoking and stalling

OK so I'll start by saying I'm having so many problems with this car I'm ready to cry.

I'll save the ranting raving and cursing for later.

Newest problem is after the 3 days or pouring rain we had I go to start my car and it immediately started mis-firing.

I checked under the hood and herd a clicking that sounded like an arcing spark.

Checked all plugs , wires, cap, coil, and rotor and no issues so I decided to take a quick ride.

Immediately there was a cloud of smoke horrid gas smell and the car wouldn't idle. If I kept my foot on the gas she would keep running but pour smoke.

got it home and checked oil for coolant as the smoke looked a bit on the white side. Oil was fine but reeked of fuel.

While I was under the hood the second time with the ignition in the on position but the car off I heard more of the same clicking from the injectors I believe.

I felt the clips and could feel the ones that clicked and removed them. Car ran identically but smoking mostly stopped.

now I have done research on this forum and found the ecu can cause similar issues but no one reported having all the same issues. I'm leaning in that direction due to it ran perfect before the rain and I have a window off track so some water got inside.

I'm saving for a standalone but I need my car for work. I would rather not have to buy a used ecu but I will if you guys think it may be the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long post
Old 07-15-14, 07:22 AM
acidronin
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to add I have to floor it to get it to start
Old 07-15-14, 07:56 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It's probably your ECU. A capacitor leaks and causes one or two or four fuel injectors to stay open. Keep driving your car like that and You'll foul up your o2 sensors, and melt your cats with all of that unburned fuel. Go to eBay and find roadrunner444, he rebuilds ECU's for $150 last i checked with a warranty. His name is Daryl.

GL!
Old 07-19-14, 02:05 PM
acidronin
Driver School Candidate

Picked up a used ecu yesterday and installed it today. All my problems are gone. Thanks for the advice