Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 10:45 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In car footage of my LS1 SC300, front tires took damage due to the excessive lowering. Got in the grass to avoid a car in the beginning of the video and my imaginary horn wasn't working to let the car know I was there. I ended up having the fastest lap time of the day, faster than a 600hp 997 Porsche Turbo.

DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-qydqkxc.jpg
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-wlnhlur.jpg
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-txpdlqo.jpg
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-w3xla9c.jpg

Full Pictures
http://imgur.com/a/yLoPE

Last edited by fried_rice; 12-14-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 11:00 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice runs man, it sounds great. Are you still running with no t-stat? How are the temps?

I had to laugh a bit at 7:14 with the windshield wiper. Let me know when the next race is, I wanna head out there and check it out.
Old 12-14-14, 01:36 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

^ I'm not sure what was up with the windshield wiper, lol. I've run without thermostats on all my cars, it brings temps down about 10-20 degrees, and even more on the track. Car never gets above 190F, with good oil temps/pressure, lap after lap. My turbo cars could only make it 3-4 laps without having oil temps in the 260++ and 220 water. FMIC really block the airflow to the radiator.

I run a 50 row oil cooler, melling high pressure pump and a Improved Racing oil pan baffle. Never see below 40psi at 1.8 lateral g's
Old 12-30-14, 06:29 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a lsx swap myself and noticed you ditched the stock clutch master cylinder. Were you able to try it out or do you know for certain that it will not work? Also, what throttle cable did you use?

Sweet build, man. Great info here.
Old 12-31-14, 09:29 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oochi
Doing a lsx swap myself and noticed you ditched the stock clutch master cylinder. Were you able to try it out or do you know for certain that it will not work? Also, what throttle cable did you use?

It has to do with the size of the stock master in relation to the size of the GM slave cylinder. We always switch them out with exception of some models that run a larger size. It has to do with the pedal feel and the throw required to move the slave the right distance.

Sikky has a clutch master cylinder kit for these swaps now along with their new complete mount kit although they are not yet up on the web site. I know because we just installed a ls1 in a customers sc300 using their complete bolt in kit and they had the clutch master cylinder kit that comes will all the lines, fittings, MC and adapter to make it work. Very comprehensive and complete kit. check it out at www.sikky.com
Old 01-03-15, 06:45 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

With the stock Master cylinder the clutch would not disengage. I bled it many, many times and tried everything to make it work.

It absolutely does not work. Make sure your clutch lines are hydraulically pressed. I made my own lines with screw fittings and they will not hold up to the pressure.

I used this Master Cylinder.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-10373

I used this Throttle cable.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/TC-1000LS1U/10002/-1

Old 01-03-15, 09:26 AM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Ah man that sucks. Thanks for the links! I have no idea what I'm getting myself into haha
Old 01-07-15, 11:56 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Ah man that sucks. Thanks for the links! I have no idea what I'm getting myself into haha
Just get all the Sikky stuff and save yourself the headache. As simple as open box, install. No searching the web for this part and that part. No modifying or fab. Bolt On!!!
Old 01-07-15, 06:31 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JE
Just get all the Sikky stuff and save yourself the headache. As simple as open box, install. No searching the web for this part and that part. No modifying or fab. Bolt On!!!
Sikky does not offer the clutch master cylinder with any of their kits, I have talked to them in the past and recently about that for S13's and S14's. They only provide the mounts, driveshaft, headers, oil pan, etc.

The SC is simple, motor mounts, a driveshaft adapter for the stock f-body drive shaft, a couple small cuts on the subframe (stock f-body or vette oil pan is all that is needed), better master cylinder, short or midlength headers (can be had for less than $450 vs Sikky $800), and wiring. All in all, piecing the parts together is FAR cheaper than Sikky can ever come close to. Just saying.
Old 01-07-15, 08:04 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Sikky does not offer the clutch master cylinder with any of their kits, I have talked to them in the past and recently about that for S13's and S14's. They only provide the mounts, driveshaft, headers, oil pan, etc.

The SC is simple, motor mounts, a driveshaft adapter for the stock f-body drive shaft, a couple small cuts on the subframe (stock f-body or vette oil pan is all that is needed), better master cylinder, short or midlength headers (can be had for less than $450 vs Sikky $800), and wiring. All in all, piecing the parts together is FAR cheaper than Sikky can ever come close to. Just saying.

Old 01-08-15, 07:00 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

As far as the motor mounts and transmission mounts go. From what I've read, the GTO stock upper motor brackets and E36 lower motor mounts are a direct swap in. I purchased Corvette brackets, which needed modification, and didn't feel like waiting on the E36 mounts, my car is a race-car, so I wanted solid mounts.

GTO upper motor brackets are $150 from ebay or car-part
E36 motor mounts are $25 from RockAuto
I used the stock SC300 transmission Cross-member and drilled new holes in the floor of the car. Bolted it up with washers and some grade 8 bolts.

Clutch Master needs two holes drilled and welding of the wilwood threaded nut to the stock clutch pedal assembly. It took about an hour to install.

If you're doing the swap yourself, you can save money doing it my way. If a shop is doing it for you, it may be more cost effective to buy the kit.

The only thing that would take a bit more time, FOR ME, than buying the kit, is the headers and transmission mount, which I had to modify.

This is a DIY option for someone who has experience working with cars. I've done countless swaps and setups, having 10 SC's and a MKIV Supra. I've been working on these cars for 10 years. If one wants to bolt an LS1 in without having to go thru multiple vendors, buy a kit. If you have a bit of extra time and the willingness to ask questions and read thru the thread, you can also accomplish the goal without buying a complete kit.

The LS1 swap is like the GTE swaps 10 years ago, with little info or write-ups on how to do everything. I tried to give the majority of info on what is needed. If anyone needs more info or pics, I'm happy to answer questions.
Old 01-08-15, 07:10 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Actually, they do offer them. They are available as an option. Linky for your pleasure

http://www.sikky.com/swap_parts_high...nufacturer.php

Clutch master cylinder kits galore. The one for the SC is not up on the site yet but you can get the idea from the others.

Yes, you can always do it yourself but not everybody has the capability to cut and weld and fabricate their own parts. Sikky products are designed to make the swap so easy the novice can have it bolted up in a couple hours or a day. Shops love to use them for that reason too.

The other advantage is that the Sikky product is an engineered solution professionally designed and manufactured. A far cry from a sheet metal mount hand made. Yes, they both will work but the same can be said for everything. Yes, I could use hand tools to take a wheel off a car, but damn a impact gun sure makes things easier. Same concept. The beauty is everybody can make their own choice. Some may choose to make it themselves, some may choose to buy it ready to go!!! no wrong answer here.

There are other benefits with the Sikky setup as well. The Sikky kit places the motor much lower in the engine bay due to the oil pan that was specifically designed for this swap. The baffled trap door pan is much better than the OEM pans, has a much higher oil capacity and offers superior clearance allowing this lower position all while remaining above the lowest plane of the cross-member so you don't have to worry about banging your pan on anything.

Headers start at 649.00 for most of their swap kits, not sure where 800 is coming from?? I've heard the ones for the Supra/SC are cheaper than that. Not trying to call you out but your totally not speaking anywhere close to the truth here so just a friendly correction.

Of course it would technically be cheaper if you did it all yourself but it depends on how you look at it. If you go buy a welder or other needed tools to do it yourself than cheaper just got blown out of the water. Also, it comes down to what's your time worth, some people don't have the time to spend building and designing it themselves and very few have the knowledge to design something like an engineer does that does this type of work day in and day out and earned a degree to do this sort of thing. Sikky uses a FARO arm to scan all relative points in and create a cad model of the chassis so placement is more precise than anyone could do by hand. I could probably publish a book about the differences between the two ways of getting the swap done, end of the day nobody is making people buy the product, you have the choice and I know which one I would choose.
Old 01-08-15, 05:45 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JE
Actually, they do offer them. They are available as an option. Linky for your pleasure

http://www.sikky.com/swap_parts_high...nufacturer.php

Clutch master cylinder kits galore. The one for the SC is not up on the site yet but you can get the idea from the others.

Yes, you can always do it yourself but not everybody has the capability to cut and weld and fabricate their own parts. Sikky products are designed to make the swap so easy the novice can have it bolted up in a couple hours or a day. Shops love to use them for that reason too.

The other advantage is that the Sikky product is an engineered solution professionally designed and manufactured. A far cry from a sheet metal mount hand made. Yes, they both will work but the same can be said for everything. Yes, I could use hand tools to take a wheel off a car, but damn a impact gun sure makes things easier. Same concept. The beauty is everybody can make their own choice. Some may choose to make it themselves, some may choose to buy it ready to go!!! no wrong answer here.

There are other benefits with the Sikky setup as well. The Sikky kit places the motor much lower in the engine bay due to the oil pan that was specifically designed for this swap. The baffled trap door pan is much better than the OEM pans, has a much higher oil capacity and offers superior clearance allowing this lower position all while remaining above the lowest plane of the cross-member so you don't have to worry about banging your pan on anything.

Headers start at 649.00 for most of their swap kits, not sure where 800 is coming from?? I've heard the ones for the Supra/SC are cheaper than that. Not trying to call you out but your totally not speaking anywhere close to the truth here so just a friendly correction.

Of course it would technically be cheaper if you did it all yourself but it depends on how you look at it. If you go buy a welder or other needed tools to do it yourself than cheaper just got blown out of the water. Also, it comes down to what's your time worth, some people don't have the time to spend building and designing it themselves and very few have the knowledge to design something like an engineer does that does this type of work day in and day out and earned a degree to do this sort of thing. Sikky uses a FARO arm to scan all relative points in and create a cad model of the chassis so placement is more precise than anyone could do by hand. I could probably publish a book about the differences between the two ways of getting the swap done, end of the day nobody is making people buy the product, you have the choice and I know which one I would choose.
There is no welding needed except for the exhaust, so that is irrelevant information. Not to burst any bubbles, but I have helped several people through the LSx swap on SC's, and not one required a $3k swap kit. Its a bolt in swap as is with only mods needed is a small portion of the crossmember needs to be cut, no welding. SO before trying to give me corrections, do the research on the swap first so you know whats involved before guessing at the details. Also, someones build thread is not the place to be placing sales ads for products. Just saying.
Old 01-09-15, 06:28 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

There is no welding needed except for the exhaust, so that is irrelevant information. Not to burst any bubbles, but I have helped several people through the LSx swap on SC's, and not one required a $3k swap kit. Its a bolt in swap as is with only mods needed is a small portion of the crossmember needs to be cut, no welding. SO before trying to give me corrections, do the research on the swap first so you know whats involved before guessing at the details. Also, someones build thread is not the place to be placing sales ads for products. Just saying.
The corrections that were given were to this statement

"Sikky does not offer the clutch master cylinder with any of their kits, I have talked to them in the past and recently about that for S13's and S14's. They only provide the mounts, driveshaft, headers, oil pan, etc."

Which is 100% incorrect. As well as the one about the header price. You need to follow the same advice your giving here.

I'm well aware of the swap and what's involved and have done hundreds in every chassis under the sun. If you wanna get into a "who's nuts are bigger debate" then we can save that for PM and save everyone from wasting their time reading it because it does not matter to this thread or topic.

Like I explained above, this is an option for the install. What all is involved is relative to the way you do the install. There isn't one way to do it and I didn't knock your DIY way so calm down before you get your panties in a bunch. I merely corrected you on the items you stated as fact about Sikky products and pricing. Then provided another option and explanation. Again, not everyone can DIY like the next guy or like you. Not sure how you turned that into an attack on you or your methods???? But hey it never ceases to amaze me how people react on forums.

We pay good money to have the ability to post on this forum and threads and a DIY thread could not be more relevant to inform someone of a great product specifically designed for the "DIY" consumer. We used the kit and were amazed with the quality and fit and felt it necessary to let people know that there is another option available now.
Old 01-09-15, 06:34 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fried_rice
As far as the motor mounts and transmission mounts go. From what I've read, the GTO stock upper motor brackets and E36 lower motor mounts are a direct swap in. I purchased Corvette brackets, which needed modification, and didn't feel like waiting on the E36 mounts, my car is a race-car, so I wanted solid mounts.

GTO upper motor brackets are $150 from ebay or car-part
E36 motor mounts are $25 from RockAuto
I used the stock SC300 transmission Cross-member and drilled new holes in the floor of the car. Bolted it up with washers and some grade 8 bolts.

Clutch Master needs two holes drilled and welding of the wilwood threaded nut to the stock clutch pedal assembly. It took about an hour to install.

If you're doing the swap yourself, you can save money doing it my way. If a shop is doing it for you, it may be more cost effective to buy the kit.

The only thing that would take a bit more time, FOR ME, than buying the kit, is the headers and transmission mount, which I had to modify.

This is a DIY option for someone who has experience working with cars. I've done countless swaps and setups, having 10 SC's and a MKIV Supra. I've been working on these cars for 10 years. If one wants to bolt an LS1 in without having to go thru multiple vendors, buy a kit. If you have a bit of extra time and the willingness to ask questions and read thru the thread, you can also accomplish the goal without buying a complete kit.

The LS1 swap is like the GTE swaps 10 years ago, with little info or write-ups on how to do everything. I tried to give the majority of info on what is needed. If anyone needs more info or pics, I'm happy to answer questions.
Great explanation and well said!!!

Quick Reply: DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap