Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 11:21 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to cut a bit of the transmission tunnel to clear the T56 and leave room for the hydraulic slave cylinder line. It now sits flush with the motor mounts and the transmission crossmember lines up. Yoke is in the transmission to the rusted part (shown in pictures), which was the same amount inputted into the Camaro, I assume.

Some pictures of the tab I was talking about on the T56 and the motor mounts, using my olf faithful $80 Harbor Freight Mig. It's more reliable than my $1500 Tig machine.

DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-uzyoooh.jpg
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-9sbv7bh.jpg
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-jsj9rzb.jpg

T56 mount hole that hits the tranny tunnel, once the engine is far back. Please excuse the sloppy cutting, lol.
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-jehbb2w.jpg
DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap-vwexkyi.jpg

Last edited by fried_rice; 07-18-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-22-14, 04:12 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the chance to see this in person the other day, and the mounts look great and give excellent positioning of the engine in the bay. If I didnt already have my dgr mounts, I would copy the setup in a heartbeat.

Going to try and make it out to the track once the car is done to see it in action. It looks like a blast to drive.
Old 07-22-14, 09:27 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

^ Thanks! I've been pushing myself and my friend who is helping to finish this car for a race on Thursday at MSR Houston. I finished wiring, fuel, long tube clearencing, friend did a badass job wrapping the headers, wiring harness put on, PCV lines ready to go on catch can, etc. Just have some small things left and crossing of fingers it starts up, lol. If not There is another Charity race on August 2nd, at MSR Houston I'll definitely be racing in. My friends Go-Pro will be POV on my helmet for some in-car footage. I still need to tidy things up a lot, but doing the bare minimum to get it race ready and sort the kinks from there.

I will be running open headers for these first events, expecting to scare small children .

Old 07-23-14, 07:56 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

The car fired up first try with unknown fuel pressure and no O2's attached. I may try to get some seat time tomorrow if I get everything buttoned up. Earplugs will be needed.

Old 07-24-14, 10:03 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Good to hear it fire up, but it seems like it had trouble at idle, or did the the camera not capture the sound right? If you make it to the track today, keep us posted on how it all works out.
Old 07-24-14, 01:26 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

The car had no O2 sensors, Crank case suction on throttle body was open and map sensor was unplugged. Also the Fuel pressure regulator hadn't been set due to the first start think it was at 70psi.

It was raining and I didn't get enough time to finish everything. Don't have a proper intake or electric fans. I'm not sure if the stock Clutch Master Cylinder is going to work. I've bled it a bit with a vacuum bleeder, but may have to upgrade.

It idles and revs pretty well now.
Old 07-24-14, 02:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Ahh, ok. I didnt read all of your other post. Sounds much better.
Old 07-26-14, 07:15 AM
millertime
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad someone finally put the part numbers for the ujoint conversion
my drive shaft bushing is on on its way out
Old 07-28-14, 10:27 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

This GM slave cylinder is horribly engineered. After cutting my trans tunnel to get lines halfway working and bleeding the clutch about 50 times, I realized the slave was leaking. So I purchased a new OEM GM slave cylinder, and fitting to convert it to AN instead of the GM fitting that sucks.

McLeod sells a line, but I'm too cheap for that, and the line will still hit your trans tunnel, due to the Oem fitting.

Also after calculating the bore and stroke of our 5/8" master cylinder I gave up and purchased a Wilwood Clutch master. Stock Camaro Master is 3/4" and 1.2" stroke, Anything above that will work. I ordered 13/16" bore and 1.2", as my OEM pedal has about 1.25" of shaft travel. I was told to do this prior by Turbodremz, but I wanted to try to make the OEM Master work. I'm now pulling the Transmission and possibly the motor to put this new slave on. Car runs great other than no clutch. Major pain, but I tried to be cheap. :/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-10373

Solution to master cylinder.
-3AN fitting directly to the slave. Need to push out roll pin, I used a hammer and cut a Allen wrench.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-an...ing,25017.html

You could go the easy route and purchase this line for a remote bleeder, otherwise you will have to cut a hole in the transmission tunnel and bleed the clutch onto the floor, or make your own like me.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/T56-Re...der,41385.html

10X1.5mm to 3AN From Slave Cylinder
-3AN hose and 2 female fittings on the line
-3AN male to 1/8" NPT Female
1/8" NPT brake bleeder valve NAPA Part Number: UP BF117

Last edited by fried_rice; 07-30-14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-03-14, 08:22 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

After working till midnight and deciding to go racing at 4:30 AM, I got the car put together with zip ties and duct tape just in time for the race yesterday. I got the brand new slave put on after pulling the motor and transmission. It also leaks, but I did have a clutch for a short time. By the second outing on the track the clutch would stick to the floor and I was forced to barely make it into 1st and pump the clutch to get into 4th. I managed to run a 1:46.121 even with all these problems, my fastest yet. I drove too fast in the Australian Pursuit one lap by .02 seconds and therefor lost 1st place. The 1st race I ran out of gas

The car has a lot left in it, and it was a fun day of testing. For the first time being driven, it was a success. Oh yea, didn't have time to put my trunk on, and open headers were directed inside the car via transmission tunnel cutout for slave bleeding.

Average max sustained G force 1.5 g's. Max G force was 1.7, with Aero mods I hope to reach 2 g's. Even a trunk would help, lol

Top 5 times, out of 20 fast cars.
Radical SR3-RS-1:40.674
Dodge Viper-1:43.225
Evo-1:43.346
Boss 302 Mustang-145.525
LS1 SC300-146.121

Found some in-car video with me in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBauST02I4#t=1m49s

Last edited by fried_rice; 08-08-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-03-14, 12:02 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Car looks and sounds awesome! So is it the clutch line that still leaking, or the slave itself? Im considering ripping my cage out and going with a DOM 10 point and heading out there.
Old 08-03-14, 12:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I was there yesterday with my 3IS in the novice runs, I saw your car briefly driving around the paddock
Old 08-03-14, 12:40 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

The slave itself seems to be leaking from it's seals, I bench bled the slave and noticed a drip of fluid from the unit, but assumed it was normal, due to inexperience with this clutch setup. Put the transmission on and it bled fast and easy with the Wilwood master, bolted everything up and got the engine back into place to see brake fluid leaking again. It's a brand new Factory GM Slave that I paid $175 for. :/

I got my full cage from Rhodes Race Car for $600, although you don't need a cage or roll bar to enter the Novice, Advanced or Time Trial groups. Only Wheel to Wheel require cages, net, fire system, suit, etc. Any street car can come out. There was trucks and SUVs in the novice/advanced groups yesterday

I did my first drive of the car in the paddock in the morning, to see if the car would be able to enter the race. Always good to see other Lexus's at the track. Didn't have too much time to walk around, as I was dealing with issues and checking the car over every run. I go to MSR often feel free to come chat next time! Hope you had fun, I love the events put on by MSR, as they're more laid back, with great people.

Last edited by fried_rice; 08-03-14 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 12:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

one of the instructors (David, younger guy) I was with specifically got in my car because hes interested in a 3IS. I think I just sold a car for Lexus.
Old 08-03-14, 01:19 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sound is awesome and that time matching with Radicals and Vipers is beyond impressive. Truly shows how far these platforms can go.

Good luck with that other SC, my friend is dead set on it.

Quick Reply: DIY LS1 Motor Mounts, LS1/T56 Swap