Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Problem Help Please!!

Old 07-03-14, 12:59 PM
sc400aaron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Problem Help Please!!

Hi Guys

I got a 1992 SC400 that just died on me driving the other day and would not start back up, or fire off at all, just turn over.. since this happened I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and came to the conclusion it was the fuel pump... replaced that, and hooked everything up the way it was and it was still not getting fuel or the fuel pump was not engaging/turning on.. well I bypassed the FpECU, tried the FP to B+ diagnostic bridge and nothing, so I wired the pump directly to a toggle switch mounted to the right of my drivers side seat. now the fuel pump turns on and that is no longer a problem.

BUT.. I still am getting no sort of engine firing at all.. again, sprayed starting fluid in the intake and the car was able to pop off and very briefly start for me, I had 8 new NGK platinum plugs I had bought to put in so while my car is sitting on the side of the road and I took off work today to work on it I put all those in, not a bad job only took 1/2 hour or so. STILL NOT STARTING, turns over great. but no fuel

I know I am getting fuel to the rails because while I have my fuel pump on I can feel the fuel lines pulsating and if I squeeze the fuel line the screw on the pulsation damper rises a bit, I also ******ed with that screw a bit as a last resort thing and loosened/tightened it in case maybe it would allow fuel to get to the engine, but it was a no-go.

I put both octane booster and a bottle of HEET in the tank incase it was a problem of bad gas. also failure.

So what in the world could be causing it to get gas to the rails but no gas to be fired/ignited?could it be the fuel pressure regulator?? could there be some kind of clog in there?
Could it be that the injectors arent working? I pulled the 30amp INJ. fuse in the box by the battery but it looks good, since it seems I am getting fuel to the rails I think I can rule out the fuel filter.

if anyone has heard of this problem, or has any sort of opinion or can offer any kind of insight what so ever it would be much appreciated. I already looked through the forums and got all of the information that I could and tried damn near everything I can think of.. I really need to get it off of the street before it gets towed

Thanks in advance.
-Aaron
Old 07-06-14, 08:36 PM
sc400aaron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still Haven't gotten issue fixed,

anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-14, 10:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

You can do a quick test of the fuel pressure regulator by pulling the vacuum lines off and seeing if there's fuel in there. They should be clean and dry. Beyond that, troubleshooting it is over my head.