Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EGR: to delete or not to delete?

Old 07-03-14, 11:30 AM   #1
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)

Default EGR: to delete or not to delete?

In today's installment of "What Could Possibly Crumble Next?" my EGR Vacuum Modulator proved to be less solid than the dry rotted lower hose connecting it to the EGR Valve. My camera sucks at close-up pics, but you can sort of see the issue, which I think perfectly explains why I've had such horrific luck with every plastic item in the engine bay (and some in the interior) falling apart: there are air pockets throughout. I've never seen a car have so many plastic items fail, and I've never seen materials so shoddy. It all makes sense now.

Anyway, I've been reading over the pros and cons of deleting the EGR system the past couple days, and now's the perfect time to make a decision! We don't have emissions testing here, so that's a non-issue. Engine performance and longevity has no apparent consensus one way or the other.

Factors to consider include: ease of deleting (cutting cover plates), CEL override (I seem to have one of the cars with no 6-pin EGR connector to tie the resistor into), and draining the coolant to reroute those lines. (I guess I'll need to figure out where the drain plugs are on this car at some point!) Any other considerations?

There was quite a bit of loose carbon sitting in the metal tube at the valve side of the hose. I ran some of the EGR tests yesterday and I think the system may not have even been working... Wouldn't loose carbon get sucked through if vacuum were being properly applied?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-14, 11:44 AM   #2
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver

On a positive note, I was able to wrestle free my PCV valve while working on the EGR area and finishing up new caps and rotors. That grommet put up a serious fight! I even managed to not lose any of the grommet, which no longer resembles rubber, down in the hole. One end of the PCV hose was cracked.
Old 07-03-14, 06:53 PM   #3
bigwhite
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

I think this debate has been had a couple of times on here, try searching this forum.
Old 07-03-14, 07:00 PM   #4
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite View Post
I think this debate has been had a couple of times on here, try searching this forum.
Seriously, did you read anything beyond the Subject line? It should have been pretty obvious that I've already searched and read up on the EGR Delete debate.
Old 07-03-14, 07:00 PM