Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TECHNICAL sc400 5speed conv. questions

Old 06-24-14, 05:54 PM
Riff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TECHNICAL sc400 5speed conv. questions

Yes. It's can be done got it

But

I only see 2 people that have successfully done the sc400 5 speed conversion.... One did the 95 swap and the other a custom mod stock bellhousing.

Both are like "here's what you need... boom built up... boom I'm driving... i needed some parts from a sc300 and a supra mk4... but, I did it..." nothing about the time it took or problems they came across.

My question is "what parts"? and what issues to look out for? ...(CELs, reverse, speed sensor. ...) differences between years vs this swap (if any)

I have a 92 that I am Gearing up to start this swap on... but there is just not enough info to source. I don't want to blow 4k and find out that iv done it incorrectly or was in over my head

So for this is the parts list i have seen:
-Sc300 clutch pedal
-clutch master cylinder and lines
-clutch
-adaptor plate (or a conversation kit)
-tranny (w58).... and shifter
-shift boot......

So that's it??? Just grab a wrench and by the end of the day I'm rolling??? ( not likely)

Last edited by Riff; 06-24-14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 07:30 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

what you'll need:
a transmission: you can either go w58 or r154
an adaptor kit: this will include everything you need to make the transmission fit the engine.
master cylinder and clutch lines
interior shift boot and a rubber boot to keep the cabin insulated
sc300 five speed pedals
sc300 or soarer driveshaft from a car with the right transmission.

What you will need to do you get everything installed.

interior:
-cut the shifter opening forward: you will have to cut the tunnel forward to clearance the new shifter.
-drill holes for the clutch master cylinder
-install the pedals
-in order to get to the tunnel you will need to completely disassemble the center console

transmission:
-depending on the year you may have to extend the shifter housing or shift lever to make it work right with the
sc interior.
-you will need to jump the nss (trake a piece of wire and jump the two pins to make the car think it's in nuetral)
-if you your trans doesnt come with an sc crossmember you will have to drill out some of the holes to
accomodate the new trans mount
-to get the transmission bolted/unbolted you will need to loosen the motor mounts or drop the front subframe.
- the speed sensor should just plug in but you will have to recalibrate it. For this I know you can use a
yellowbox (look it up)

also depending on the swap kit (ones that use adapter plates rather than complete bellhousings) you will need to modify your factory bellhousing.

Oh... on the drive shaft: make sure you line up the rear puck in the right position (something to do with balancing)

minus the actual order of operations that should be all the things you need to know

P.s. when you swap the tranny, you have a perfect opportunity to do two things: replace the rear main seal, and delete the egr system.
Old 06-24-14, 08:06 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Search bro, all the answers are readily available for you. I found these in seconds. Any other 5spd swap should give you the idea of what's needed.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/29...0-pitures.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...on-needed.html

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10558
Old 06-24-14, 09:48 PM
Riff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys...

Iv been looking for the months now. I found can bunch of parts listing... but they where all different in some way or another. I figured it might be a year issue... or tranny issue... it was very confusing.

Cutting the tunnel forward and jumping wires are thing that are good to know... and now that there is a legitimate amount of elements involving the swap it gives me something to BETTER research.

When I start it I'm going to do a step by step write up to help people like me along. Actually me and my buddy are going to do both our cars

I don't get why the masses haven't got hip to this amazing idea yet..... but in a way I'm glad... gives the under dogs a leg up
Old 06-24-14, 10:08 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Where about are you in Cali? I plan to do a motor swap and 5spd to my car.

But as long as you get everything, it should be somewhat of a breeze.
Old 06-24-14, 10:26 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

isnt too hard, first time working on lexus. did this on my 92 400. only cel im getting is o2 since i installed headers. im using 1uzfeswapkit, took them a month for it to get to me.

also need a 5 speed drive shaft.
Old 06-25-14, 11:37 AM
Riff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
Where about are you in Cali? I plan to do a motor swap and 5spd to my car.

But as long as you get everything, it should be somewhat of a breeze.
im in south Sac. i have a buddy i got some door panels from that was planning on doing the swap so we said we would team up and do the swap... but his is a 95 i think... so i i was under the assumption it was different.

i was hoping to do a 2JZ swap... but i heard "that" was over my head as i would damn near need a whole sc300 to do it...
Old 06-25-14, 11:37 AM
Riff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k7q
isnt too hard, first time working on lexus. did this on my 92 400. only cel im getting is o2 since i installed headers. im using 1uzfeswapkit, took them a month for it to get to me.

also need a 5 speed drive shaft.
how long did it take you??
Old 06-25-14, 08:10 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

a week. since i only worked in it a couple of hours a day and i ran into a bunch of little problems. you can probably do it in a day or two , if you have everything on hand.
Old 06-28-14, 05:53 PM
Riff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k7q
a week. since i only worked in it a couple of hours a day and i ran into a bunch of little problems. you can probably do it in a day or two , if you have everything on hand.
Damn... so for "me" that means three days... lol

It took my three days to swap a stock civic block... but that was because all I had was a cherry picker, a rope, and a couple of screw drivers