Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine quits no electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 04:31 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine quits no electrical power

1992 SC 400. Greatest car ever. Wife's ride.

She drove it a few blocks from home into city traffic and the engine seemed to missfire a bit and then balk. She maneuvered to the dide and the engine died as she was pulling to the curb. OK so I expect the power steering to freeze immediately and the power brakes to have only a couple pumps. Everything went dark. AC blowers stopped and no dash lights and it would not turn over or even click. Towed to shop and it wouldn't start for him either. next morning it ran well. I have driven it for about a hour total over two trips and nothing has happened. She has had a repeat experience but the engine just seems to loose power but keeps running.

The check engine light has come on since the first incident. I had to disconnect the bat to do other maint and I guess that erased the trouble code. I have never seen a CEL or experienced this trouble, myself. Wifey is 70 and I need to get this sorted out for her. She doesn't trustthe car and her "Stock Car" days are over.

I have ALL DATA DIY. Always great stuff....usually. I cannot find any procedure to test the error codes. My book says to connect TE2 and E1 and turn on the ignition. So what do I look at to count the pulses? The terminals i see referenced ion the forum are TE1 and E1? Who or what is correct for my model and year?

Thanks for your help.

John