Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Help?! Did Search!!

Old 02-19-03, 11:19 AM
UltimaSC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Help?! Did Search!!

I did a search and all but I really need some help. I am taking my SC300 into the shop tommorow morning and I am getting the feeling the owner there is just trying to sell me the mufflers he has in stock. All he has in stock are Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and Ractive. These are the ones he says will sound non-weedeater on my car (http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigex...uct_id/553.htm) but what I ask from all of you is to give me a little insight. I upgraded the exhaust on my old Jeep but nothing like this kind of car so I need help. I am going for a mix between performance/sound, I want to stay as far as possible from the "ricer" sound and more of a deeper tone. Simple question should I get one of these three brands and if so which one, if not what should i order. I am also getting 2.5 pipes run all the way as well as a x-pipe but what i cannot decide on is the muffler, Budget is 450.00 for the mufflers so try to give me advice in that price range, thanks a lot for the help, I need it.....
Old 02-19-03, 11:36 AM
Lvangundy

Stock pipes are only 2 1/4" I belive so you may want to get 2 3/4" piping instead.

I could tell you the magnaflows and flowmasters sounds more hot-roddish on the V8's but I'm not sure about the V6.

Lexsc400 had a small section up a week or so ago with a few exhaust clips. Check here. There's an SC300 but it's turbo.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=exhaust
Old 02-19-03, 12:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

ractive are weed eater mufflers. you'll just have to trust me on this one. i have practically burned the ractive catalogs off my display.
Old 02-19-03, 12:56 PM
UltimaSC3
Driver School Candidate

are weapon r and ractive mufflers different things?
Old 02-19-03, 01:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

yes!

weapon r = quality

ractive = ...
Old 02-19-03, 01:18 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

I could tell you the magnaflows and flowmasters sounds more hot-roddish on the V8's but I'm not sure about the V6.
OM V6 yu should know better :eek:
Old 02-19-03, 01:30 PM
UltimaSC3
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by kylesc400
what would your recommendation be?
Old 02-19-03, 01:38 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

I am getting ready to do the same thing as you are. I think I have decided to go with 2 1/2 inch all the way from the front cats.Remove the center or rear cat/resonator and replace with an X pipe. I also think I will try my stock mufflers(they are still good) with this setup and see what I gain. If I am not satisfied with it I will prob. go magnaflows. I might even have them remove the other resonators and see if that will gain anything. I also want some performance but want to keep it fairly quiet too. It's trial and error on exhaust systems IMO.You sometimes have to try different setups to get the right sound you are looking for. But from what I have heard,the stock mufflers are straight through as are the magnaflows. Flowmasters are chambered in different stages,2,3 or 4 chambers. I put the 2 chamber on my 2002 Dodge Ram PU and had to take it back off because it was so loud. I mean really loud. It did boost the performance quite a bit but just too loud. Let us know how you come out. I will be doing mine in the next 7-10 days,SC400.

RT
Old 02-19-03, 02:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't TOUCH flowmasters i am warning you

its downright impossible to make the 2jz-ge motor sound like a weedeater... the straight 6 (not V6) will sound like heaven on wheels with a straight-through muffler(s)

Here's what I would do: get a set of Dynomax Ultraflows with 2.5" or 2.75" ID and have them mounted with a 2.5" or 2.75" catback exhaust system... directly after the cat use some sort of resonator (do not use a glasspack), use something like the Dynomax Bullet muffler, its just a resonator and can be had for cheap; for THAT single pipe before the y-split I'd use 2.75" or 3"

you can order these mufflers online and take them into the shop to have them mount them and fabricate the rest of the system...

do not buy any flowmasters or ractive, warlock, etc... if you get a diff brand than dynomax, get something with a straight-through design, no baffles...

flowmasters also have a different name, flowdisasters... they don't flow; and neither does any other baffled setup... if you don't get the resonator like i said, your system will drone at 1500-3000rpms.... the resonator will eliminate it...
and when the car is pushed over 3500 to 6400 it has the sweetest sound in the world... my single exhaust is LOUD but I relish it everyday when i step on it

Last edited by Bean; 02-19-03 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 03:21 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by kylesc400
HAHA....I agree Lvangundy...V6??? This ain't no camry...
Old 02-19-03, 04:15 PM
UltimaSC3
Driver School Candidate

bean are magnaflows single like the dynomax's? and i am asshamed to be in the same catagory as v6's, ****....
Old 02-19-03, 04:24 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

magnaflow makes tons of different mufflers, some of which come with dual tips and others with single tips. the most popular magnaflow mufflers, at least for the sc300/400 forum, is the model 14829. ive got them, lex400sc has them, and a few others do as well. if you turn up the brightness on your monitor you can see them in my signature, they really fill up the holes in the bumper much better than the stock tips and sound much nicer btw i know the sig kinda sucks, im going to take some daytime pics once i get my gs4 rims mounted and make a real signature

Last edited by kylesc400; 02-19-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 04:29 PM
UltimaSC3
Driver School Candidate

all right i just got off the phone, im gonna go with those and get them put in monday, Ill let yall know how it goes (and if its bad your the one im coming for kyle) hey when i get some pics up of mine hit me up a cool sig, i would be much grateful =)
Old 02-19-03, 04:46 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

sweet, lemme know how it turns out

a word of advice - if you want a noticeable volume increase, have the two resonators behind each muffler taken out and replaced with piping (this wont be an issue if youre going with larger piping from the center res/cat back). just keep in mind that if you go with larger piping, you may need some sort of adapter, since on the 14829 models the inlet is 2.25" (same as our stock piping).

if you want a truely nice sig, gstrance is probably who yu should talk to. hes a photoshop whiz, you can see his work in the photoshop forum.

Last edited by kylesc400; 02-19-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 07:22 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't run a resonator in the system prepare for your system to drone...

and there's no point in removing the stock resonators when you're already replacing all of that piping anyway? still trying to see where you came up with that one kyle

if you just bolton mufflers with stock piping you are no better than a ricer in a Civic because all you're interested in is the sound (which equals total poser)... UltimaSC3 sounds like he wants to do it the RIGHT way....

i hope the magnaflows everyone keeps recommending are straight-through flow; no one seems to acknowledge it... from a performance standpoint if they are baffled mufflers, they are a total waste of money

Last edited by Bean; 02-20-03 at 07:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Help?! Did Search!!