Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Soarer and MKIV TT PS reservoirs the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 06:55 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts
Default 1JZ Soarer and MKIV TT PS reservoirs the same?

Forgive me if this has been addressed before.

I picked up an MKIV TT power steering reservoir some months ago as part of my GTE swap. I just took it out to check fitment today and I noticed a couple of things:

1) The factory horn seems to be in the way. I could just relocate it but is there a different horn that Soarer 1JZ's use due to the PS reservoir being in that location?

2) I've looked at many pictures of 1JZ SC swaps and I am beginning to think that the MKIV Supra reservoir is different because it doesn't seem to readily fit in the same way as I see with 1JZ swaps.

3) This is making me think that the shock tower shells are different between the SC/Soarer and MKIV Supra

The part I have just doesn't seem to be the right thing for this car. Should I be using a 1JZ Soarer PS reservoir or, as a second best, an SC400 PS reservoir?

Thanks all!
Old 06-25-14, 02:17 AM
KahnBB6

Anyone with a 1JZ swap care to comment on this one?
Old 06-26-14, 06:22 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have a 1JZ Soarer PS Reservoir for sale if you need one. I ended up using it for 1JZ Soarer swap and it was fine, but I have since parted the car and setup.
Old 06-26-14, 06:44 PM
KahnBB6

Toyboxx, do you have a picture of your 1JZ Soarer PS reservoir handy? I might be interested but I want to compare it to the MKIV TT PS reservoir I have first. I found a thread just yesterday detailing how someone used it on an SC GTE swap but from the look of it he had to bend the mounting points to do it to get a seemingly useless protrusion to fit between the shock tower and the fuse box. I have been wondering if the 1JZ Soarer reservoir has this second protrusion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4612909-post109.html <-- Refer to post #109 in that thread.
Old 08-09-14, 12:55 AM
Kire
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also was looking in to this for my swap and after some research I've confirmed that both the TT and GE pumps or reservoirs should work for the 1JZ with some modification. Below are two threads confirming this. The CL one is more detailed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-1jz-swap.html

Originally Posted by StiCk3
2JZ-GTE pump works, but with some modding the 2JZ-GE pump can work as well. Need to swap out the resivoir with the 1JZ feed fitting and remove the bracket off the back of it. Don't forget to replace the bolts in the back otherwise the pump will leak...trust me, i know
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post4889439
Old 08-09-14, 02:38 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Yep. The pumps are nearly identical. You have to buy a nipple from Toyota when you remove the GE reservoir.

It's just that I have an MKIV TT PS reservoir in my possession and it did not appear to just fit in place as you'd expect it to. This led me to investigate whether or not the 1JZ Soarer reservoir did in fact have different mounting points. I still don't have an answer to my query but I'm sure I can make the TT reservoir fit.

It seems you have to remove the little thing that looks like a horn (from the SC shock tower) and bend the metal of the TT PS reservoir around the shock tower to mount it. Rubber bushings seem to be needed but I haven't been able to source those. I was able to source the OEM bolts for the correct length and size.
Old 02-24-16, 08:38 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It seems you have to remove the little thing that looks like a horn (from the SC shock tower) and bend the metal of the TT PS reservoir around the shock tower to mount it. Rubber bushings seem to be needed but I haven't been able to source those. I was able to source the OEM bolts for the correct length and size.
Coming back to this question. To people with any 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE swap who have added the factory TT remote reservoir, where have you relocated the little saucer-shaped horn that is mounted to the SC shock tower from the factory? I've discovered this is actually a factory security system horn and not one of the two main horns.

Thanks, all!
Old 02-24-16, 11:51 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I bolted mine up to the shock tower using the bolt hole for the reservoir. All three threaded holes should be on the shock tower to bolt up the TT reservoir.
Old 02-25-16, 12:48 AM
KahnBB6

^^ You know... that's extremely simple and easy. No relocation or wire extensions needed. I'm not going to overthink this one. I'll take it-- thank you for the description and reference picture, BiGEZ!

Although I will ask: are the bushings I am seeing in your picture the factory bits or just generic round rubber bushings? My remote reservoir didn't come with any and I'm not sure the OEM bushings can be ordered separately.
Old 02-25-16, 09:36 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I think I got those bushing off an SC400 reservoir from the junkyard. Yeah it is a simple bolt up, no wire cutting or any thing, fits perfectly.