Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

HELP I broke the oil sending unit in the block!

Old 06-08-14, 07:14 PM   #1
SC3NAT
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

SherryBomb413

Should I just drill, tap and helicoil it? Maybe keep a vacuum sucking the shavings out so they don't go into the block? What happens if some metal shavings go into the bottom of the motor? Should I be even worried about that? I have a magnetic drain plug and I just resealed both pans I don't wanna have to take them off again! HELP

Name:  ForumRunner_20140608_221308.png
Views: 76
Size:  742.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140608_221252.png
Views: 88
Size:  936.3 KB
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
1993 SC300 1JZ swapped - 95k miles - Automagic - Vertex kit - 19x9.5 Work VS Emotion reps - Mishimoto 4" core IC - Tweakd Perfomance PnP harness - Stock twins - Stock ecu rebuilt by DM - Blitz SS BOV - Walbro 255 - Tomei FPR - 2jz 440s - SAFC 2 - DM intake - DM 3 inch dp to non-catted 3 inch exh - AEM UEGO wideband - DM pulleys - Autometer boost gauge - Halman MBC - Megan Racing Engine Mounts - Ebay Radiator - Ebay Dual E-Fan - Tanabe Struts+Springs - Prothane LCA Bush - Whiteline Rack Bushings
SC3NAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 09:06 PM   #2
GSXMike
Pole Position

That sucks. I would try one of those extraction bits, I cant recall the technical word right now. Try using that to back it out.

If that doesnt work you would need to drill and retap. Yes oil shavings will get down in the pan. If they are small enough they will make it past your pick up screen and throughout the system. Hopefully your oil filter will capture the shavings before they do any damage.

Time sert, thats what the extraction bit is called. You can get them at the local hardware store or home depot/lowes.

Is that blue loctite/permetex on there? If so might be a bit more difficult.
GSXMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 09:52 PM   #3
oldManTan
Lead Lap

that's gonna take some DIY magic, vaccum next to it, magnet, everything to keep pieces out of their. good luck!
4300k HIDs, IS300 Steering wheel,
Cobra R Reps 17x9 DZ102 225,45,
hopefully a 5 speed swap in the near future Build Here
Custom Headlights Build
oldManTan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 09:02 AM   #4
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)

extracion bit, if not gonna have to drill it out, retap the threads or drill larger and go to a bigger thread size. not a fan of helicoil vs going to a larger size.
you will get shavings, I would flush it out at the least but would be best to remove pan on this one obviously.

maybe you can use the edge of the dremel with the small round grinding disc to make like a slot in the top of it and fit a bit flat screw driver in there and hope you can back it out. that blue stuff is not going to help unless its just thread sealant. its best to use thread sealant vs the gasket stuff on these as the gasket stuff really makes it hold on more which is not helpful when it comes to removing it.

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 09:27 AM   #5
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

I would try adding a bit of JB Weld in the hole. Just enough to seal it up. Don't add so much that it runs, otherwise you risk having a much bigger mess... Once that is hardened, you can use a bolt extractor and, fingers crossed, no metal shavings will drop in through the hole.

Maybe add the JB Weld in small steps, using a toothpick to spread it around the walls of the hole so there's never enough in one spot to run. Add more as the previous batch begins to dry.
Old 06-12-14, 06:06 PM   #6
SC3NAT
Rookie

SherryBomb413

Thanks for the great replies everyone! Me and a couple my friends tinkered around with it and we decided after looking at how the easy outs (extraction bits) would work its apparent it's gonna be a super pain and I really don't want to risk metal in my oil galleys. So Plan A is for my buddy to come over to try to weld a bolt or maybe even a 1/4 extension to it and back it out. If that doesn't work Plan B is to just weld the sensor hole shut and use the is300 union bolt I bought with the hole in the end pre made for another sensor. AKA the oil pressure gauge mod...often times used on mk4s I guess? What you guys think? Good idea huh. :-)

Name:  ForumRunner_20140612_210608.png
Views: 46
Size:  131.7 KB
1993 SC300 1JZ swapped - 95k miles - Automagic - Vertex kit - 19x9.5 Work VS Emotion reps - Mishimoto 4" core IC - Tweakd Perfomance PnP harness - Stock twins - Stock ecu rebuilt by DM - Blitz SS BOV - Walbro 255 - Tomei FPR - 2jz 440s - SAFC 2 - DM intake - DM 3 inch dp to non-catted 3 inch exh - AEM UEGO wideband - DM pulleys - Autometer boost gauge - Halman MBC - Megan Racing Engine Mounts - Ebay Radiator - Ebay Dual E-Fan - Tanabe Struts+Springs - Prothane LCA Bush - Whiteline Rack Bushings
SC3NAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 02:44 AM   #7
GSXMike
Pole Position

Those extraction bits dont bore like regular drill bits, they spin backwards and bite into the broken bolt to extract it, or unscrew it.

Well good luck.
GSXMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:51 AM   #8
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXMike View Post
Those extraction bits dont bore like regular drill bits, they spin backwards and bite into the broken bolt to extract it, or unscrew it.
The ones I've used require drilling a partial pilot hole to give them something to bite into.
Old 06-15-14, 07:26 AM   #9
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

How did you break it? Overtighten or hit it on something? If over tightened, you may have a big challenge.

If you weld to it, use a nut and fill the center.
Old 06-15-14, 07:26 AM