Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Help picking out an ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 06:59 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need Help picking out an ECU

I will be doing the TT ECU MOD from Ali SC3 write up but am confused as to what ecu I will need.

I am currently in a 97 SC300 Auto going N/A-T

I know that I need a USDM GTE ECU to keep my OBDII intact... but does it matter if it is from and auto or a manual? and What year range GTE ECU (96-98 non-vvti twin turbo)

If I do need an USDM GTE A/T ECU will my Stock GE trans still be controlled corectly or will i have to do a similar mod like listed in the write up for the OBDI cars.

Last question is, do I still need a TT MAP sensor with the GTE ECU if I am keeping the Stock Dizzy.. I have 550 injectors, DS62 Ignitor, and a TT MAF.. so the last part of my quest is to figure out WHAT ECU DO I NEED???

sorry for the repetitive post in different areas just trying to get as many eyes and opinions as possible
Old 06-08-14, 08:57 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I would skip all that work and headache, standalone or a good piggyback will work better. Ive used AEM V2 piggyback and it worked great, even just street tuned. It was on a 99 NA-T.
Old 06-09-14, 06:45 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ZeRoSe7en
Honestly I would skip all that work and headache, standalone or a good piggyback will work better. Ive used AEM V2 piggyback and it worked great, even just street tuned. It was on a 99 NA-T.
I would love the AEM v2 but cost went up to $2k .. And I'm not sure what model to get it for. Would i still get a AEM for a GE even though I'm going to turbo it?

Even a used one for a GE is around $1300 and I have everything except the TT ECU and a Map...

Just more cost effective at this point to finish the mod
Old 06-09-14, 08:03 AM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry, I didnt have the V2, its actually the AEM Fuel/Ingnition Control # 30-1070. Its a really good piggyback that works with your stock ecu. Its only like $360 new. I figure thats a lot cheaper than a new engine block.
Old 06-09-14, 12:10 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

I was wondering if there was a piggy back like an SAFC or a FIC that would work but a lot of people on here say that the stock GE ECU doesnt handle boost well even with a piggy back.. So that's why I decided to do the TT ECU Mod
Old 06-09-14, 12:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you could do a whole FI/C setup with the works it might end up working decent cause it intercepts all the outputs of the stock ecu, not like a safc which just plays with the maf or map signal, these are very different.
People generally only do this to keep the stock ecu and be emission friendly on an odb2 car though.

you could get an aem v1 which would do most of what you want plug and play just will need tuning, really you can't skip the tuning part but not a bad option with no emissions.

you can also use a gte ecu, but odb2 ecu's with the tt ecu mod have been having mixed results.
since you don't have to deal with emissions, just run an odb1 JDM gte ecu, that way you get a map sensor, can run larger inejctors with a simple piggyback, and not have to worry about any maf stuff.

I only basically recommend the odb2 tt ecu mod for those who are odb2 and have to be emission friendly, although the emission friendly part turned out to be the easiest part, and they run and drive but are just not boosting well. hopefully those members will figure it out and remove the doubt, but for know I only know the JDM odb1 works great, and honestly its the best one to use since its map sensor based.

so I would recommend going with the JDM odb1 gte ecu, or go aem ems v1 or v2 and get some tuning, both will work well. the gte ecu will be more factory reliable, but with the aem you can squeeze out a little more power from the tuning. just depends what you are looking for.
Old 06-09-14, 01:01 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JDM GTE ECU OBD1 is what you want.

I have one, PM me.