Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzgte cast manifold Borg Warner options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 01:41 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2jzgte cast manifold Borg Warner options?

I need to swap out my twins and go single and would like to stick with a cast manifold for durability and longevity. Looking to get a suitable turbo for stock fuel system. I will step up to supra TT injectors as opposed to my aristo which are 440's I think. My main question is which BW turbo can I go with to match with a cast manifold being most are divided turbo's vs the un divided cast manifold? Would the below turbo work with a sc swap being that this has a (90 Deg Compressor Outlet). Are guys throwing on divided BW turbos onto un divided manifolds?

BorgWarner Airwerks S300SX3-63, S363, S300 88/75 with .88 A/R T4 Open Flow Turbine Housing.
http://www.theboostlab.com/store/pro...Outlet%29.html

Any tips or turbo options under $1000 for cast manifold much appreciated.
Thx
Attached Thumbnails 2jzgte cast manifold Borg Warner options?-photo-3-2-.jpg  
Old 05-23-14, 02:56 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just get a fleabay tubular manifold.......Get it modified to fit your wastegate and add some structural supports....Many people are running fleabay manifolds....I am using a modified godspeed manifold...

If you want to get a cast manifold you could add a small spacer to run a divided manifold style t4
Old 05-24-14, 07:16 AM
Highway
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Just get a fleabay tubular manifold.......Get it modified to fit your wastegate and add some structural supports....Many people are running fleabay manifolds....I am using a modified godspeed manifold...

If you want to get a cast manifold you could add a small spacer to run a divided manifold style t4
I'm afraid of having to chase down cracks later on with cheaper manifolds. I also like the torque early on that cast mani's provide.
Old 05-24-14, 12:08 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

The housings on BW's are pretty large. Better make sure you will have enough space to fit it so it doesn't hit the strut tower.
Old 05-24-14, 05:55 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
The housings on BW's are pretty large. Better make sure you will have enough space to fit it so it doesn't hit the strut tower.
Interesting thanks will consider before purchasing for sure..
Old 05-26-14, 04:03 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Also looking @ the precision 6266 CEA
Old 05-26-14, 05:39 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

That's what my buddy is running in his supra with a FSR cast manifold. He bought a BW first, but it was too close to the shock tower for his comfort. The PTE has more clearance.
Old 05-28-14, 07:12 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ^^said, BW does have a large compressor housing, positioning of turbo also has to do with the type of flange it has on the manifold and angle. if you notice on fleabay/knockoffs exhaust manifolds have the t4 flange sitting in the dead center, and also has the #1 runner that needs to be modified to be able to clear the wheel(been there done that). On the other hand VWR manifolds, BoostLogic's and many others have the flange in a slight angle to be able to clear big compressor wheel turbos, like GT42's for example. But the cast manifolds are not bad, and are pretty reliable. A friend of mine ran one on his 2jz 240sx with a pte 6262. The power band on that car was very violent. Due to the great tires and suspension he was able to distribute power throughout the pavement. But on the other hand the 240sx engine bay is alot more spacious with the swap, giving it alot of leg room, plus the 6262 is not a big turbo, so even more space lol. Getting back to your topic, a s300sx is a great turbo but its limited on power. Depending on your power goals. An s366 on other hand can be had for about the same price or even a bit cheaper, and gives you room to grow. Ive seen s366 hold above shy 800. It all really comes down to power goals and budget
Old 05-28-14, 10:32 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nuturf87
What ^^said, BW does have a large compressor housing and they have divided and undivided a.r housings. positioning of turbo also has to do with the type of flange it has on the manifold and angle. if you notice on fleabay/knockoffs exhaust manifolds have the t4 flange sitting in the dead center, and also has the #1 runner that needs to be modified to be able to clear the wheel(been there done that). On the other hand VWR manifolds, BoostLogic's and many others have the flange in a slight angle to be able to clear big compressor wheel turbos, like GT42's for example. But the cast manifolds are not bad, and are pretty reliable. A friend of mine ran one on his 2jz 240sx with a pte 6262. The power band on that car was very violent. Due to the great tires and suspension he was able to distribute power throughout the pavement. But on the other hand the 240sx engine bay is alot more spacious with the swap, giving it alot of leg room, plus the 6262 is not a big turbo, so even more space lol. Getting back to your topic, a s300sx is a great turbo but its limited on power. Depending on your power goals. An s366 on other hand can be had for about the same price or even a bit cheaper, and gives you room to grow. Ive seen s366 hold above shy 800. It all really comes down to power goals and budget:. If you decide to run the USDM 550cc injectors, you are going to need a low-resistor pack, injector connector clips(different from high independence connectors) and some sort of fuel management. You can run the 550cc injectors with the aristo ecu but its gonna run rich. You may get away with a SAFCII tune.
Sorry I don't mean to nit-pick your post here, but I see so many people misunderstand BW turbos naming. An "S366" is an S300sx turbo. S300SX-xxxx is BW's naming convention for those frame sized units. Aftermarket companies such as Bullseye have tried to simplify the naming by calling them S360, S362, S366, etc. They've only made it more complicated by doing that in my opinion. But the one he's looking at is the 62.99mm version of the S300SX series turbos. You can find 60mm, 62mm, as well as 66mm (aka S366) version of that same frame turbo. All will have similar external physical dimensions assuming the same size housings were purchased, just different parts on the inside.
Old 05-28-14, 11:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would match it to the manifold you want to use, if open go with an open housing, if you swap to a divided manifold then get the divided housing.

I don't think there is a real benefit to running a divided turbo on an undivided manifold except that its the combination you need to run a quick spool valve.
Old 05-29-14, 07:44 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Halon
Sorry I don't mean to nit-pick your post here, but I see so many people misunderstand BW turbos naming. An "S366" is an S300sx turbo. S300SX-xxxx is BW's naming convention for those frame sized units. Aftermarket companies such as Bullseye have tried to simplify the naming by calling them S360, S362, S366, etc. They've only made it more complicated by doing that in my opinion. But the one he's looking at is the 62.99mm version of the S300SX series turbos. You can find 60mm, 62mm, as well as 66mm (aka S366) version of that same frame turbo. All will have similar external physical dimensions assuming the same size housings were purchased, just different parts on the inside.
Its cool Halon. And your correct the s300sx is their frame size. for example their larger frame turbo s400 category has an option for a 67mm but it come with a bigger compressor wheel, my friend ran one one his ka24de built by RACELAB, but they usually vary between a 71mm -80mm wheel if not mistaken. and im aware that the 60mm 62mm and s366 are all the same turbo class just different guts..lol i was in a rush when typing and i didnt specify about the s300sx turbo specifications . And bullseye does label them as the s360(60mm) etc.. The 62mm he is opting for is not a bad choice at all just depends on his power goals and intentions with the car.

Last edited by nuturf87; 05-29-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-31-14, 03:10 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Thanks Gents and Ali for sure I don't see any benefits and actually think it may be counter productive. I def want to properly match ends. Looking for the more economical BW turbo vs the PT6266 on a cast manifold. Trying to keep the costs down as much as possible with out getting inferior parts really. Nuturf I actually will go standalone once it's running so we'll see what I do for fuel. This car is running on one new Supra TT pump and jdm aristo injectors as is and will keep it like this until the ECU is swapped. I had my old sr20det running on a SAFC and didn't like it at all. I hit speed limiter many times and it sucked.
Old 05-31-14, 05:29 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1: these things aren't nissans

2: safc has nothing and I mean absolutely nothing to do with speed cut here and I'm pretty sure on any vehicle. You wanna get rid of that, then clip or depin sp1.

If you meant fuel cut instead of speed limiter which I'm pretty sure you didn't because they're two completely different words to comprise a phrase, then that's simple too. It's called an fcd, and the safc/fcd combo has been a proven setup for like 20 years.

Safc works absolutely fine and is a very useful tool for your specific goals and budget. If you don't wanna do things right, then why bother asking questions? Just do what you're gonna do and get your doors blown off by the guy with the setup that has less potential because they know what they're doing.

Or you could just put on your big boy pants, buy an aem v2 and injectors, get a good tune and make about 500.

Last edited by Vrank; 05-31-14 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 04:21 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked at the SPA cast manifold?
Old 06-03-14, 04:26 AM
95SC3T
Pole Position

feel free to text me. I am doing the 2jzgte with cast log manifold and s366 90 compressor housing and a .91 divided ar. I have pics on my phone that I can text anyone who needs them. there is actually a lot of room depending on how you clock the compressor housing. 502-403-7543

Quick Reply: 2jzgte cast manifold Borg Warner options?