Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGE valve cover catch can

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 01:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts
Default 2JZGE valve cover catch can

I guess I have too many sets of GE valve covers laying around so decided to do some experimenting.
I got the idea from the audi forums that use the oil cap as an extra breather.

So I figured the GE valve covers have alot of extra space for venting, so I came up with the valve cover catch can.

Why run lines over to a catch can with a larger breather on it, to simply have to drain the oil later.
Why not just make the valve cover a more effective breather than factory?

Everyones familiar with the exhaust side valve cover and the stock barb thats way too small.

lets remove that piece you can work it out with some vice grips and twist back and forth.

I don't think just drilling this one hole larger and tapping it will do, lets try drilling that and another hole. I know I did 3 in the picture below but I ended up not using the middle one.

Top view

Not sure if its needed or could hurt possibly but I made some extra holes in the baffle to allow that first vent to relieve pressure without shooting oil everywhere like if you remove baffles, remember this is the catch can now we need the baffle.

And that is as far as I got. haven't ran it on the car and you would only want to do this if you have a map sensor setup.
This should relieve the extra pressure without needing a dedicated catch can.
You can leave the drivers side PCV in, or you can also run a third breather on the PCV drivers side, same process, remove pcv and tap, but on drivers side you do not need to drill it out larger its already the right size for tapping.

And I know the filters don't match but those are the ones I had handy

Good luck and Happy modding!!

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-19-14 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 07:15 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Good idea. I may steal this idea but just do one filter on each valve cover (ditching the PCV). Get the ventilation you need with less hoses running everywhere.
Old 05-20-14, 05:27 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmmm
interesting. I assume if you do that, you cant run a strut tower brace? or does it sit far enough back?
Old 05-20-14, 08:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I used to have 1 one each cover, then I put my PCV back when I put my stock intake back on.
With 1 breather sometimes there are pressure issues, so I decided this way I could use pcv and have 2 breathers on the passenger side.
I don't have a can in anymore cause I like the charcoal canister being there so I don't smell fuel all the time.
I don't think it would interfere with a strut tower brace, its in the back by the firewall.

When I get a chance to put it on the car and get another red filter I will post up some pics.
Old 05-20-14, 02:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Well most people run a filter on the top of the catch can, so its no different for oil spray it would just happen in another spot then, but it doesn't because the filter on the catch can is so much larger than the variety you can fit on the stock valve cover the pressure is dissipated before it can "spray" .

The stock passenger valve cover has basically a 3/8" hose barb, and drivers side a pcv which does not help under boost. if you remove pcv and tap you now have a 1/2" npt size fitting which can take like a 5/8 barb.

What I have done, is drilled 2x holes in passenger side to the 1/2 npt fitting and run 2x 5/8" barbs with over 1" filters on both. If you do this and retain the factory PCV, you have still more than doubled the original evacuation. If you run filters on the PCV side also, you will have more than trippled the evacuation potential under boost.

Oil will only spray if there is not enough evacuation capability to disperse the pressure meaning the oil gently hits the baffle or filter at the top and drains back into the crank case = what we want.
when you do not have enough cross sectional evacuation area from using too small lines or filters or not enough, the pressure builds up in the crank case and shoots the mist. You can try and catch some of it in the can but unless it has a large opening somewhere its going to spray there or back into the intake if hooked up.

If you look at the old big block supercharged cars and whatnot with high crank case pressures, what they do is just run large filters on the valve cover instead of a catch can. If done right you wont get any spray, well thats the idea.

On a gte the ports face sideways so you wouldn't want to do it, but on our valve covers its almost like they were asking us too. I will install it and update you guys when I get a chance. right now I just have a small filter on the passenger side and I get no oil spray whasoever on my low boost around 12 psi setting. even on the higher settings I don't get any real oil spray but I can smell that oil burning smell from not having enough evacuation and you cook some turbo oil in the lines from not being able to drain during the pull, and I dislike oil burning smells, and replacing my charcoal canister with a catch can, or draining oil from a catch can.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-20-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 08:59 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates on this Ali? I've been pricing out / looking at catch can ideas but this looks inexpensive and effective.
Old 08-13-14, 09:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Haven't run it yet HiPSI as the car is down for FFIM, but likely I think I will be slapping it on now and seeing how it does so will keep you updated. probably a few weeks before I get it up and running how I want it.
Old 08-13-14, 10:30 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Cool. Better evap system is on my list for this years winter mods. If this works, and doesn't leak oil all over, I'll probably go this route for simplicity sake.
Old 08-13-14, 10:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yup I only bothered because I want my evap canister and I don't see a great spot for a catch can anywhere that I like.
Old 08-15-14, 06:23 AM
killersqrl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I've been looking at catch cans too, but like you, don't have much room for one. I like that simple approach and look forward to an update on how it works.
Old 08-18-14, 05:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I took a look at the car and now I am thinking that back filter is going to interfere with my heater hose back there. will see if there is enough space to move it a little out of the way or something.
Old 08-10-15, 02:04 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Reopened this thread as I noticed this weekend some oil on the ground. I have a filter on left side of valve cover and when I put my finger under it it was oaked in oil. I also have what looks like a mist of oil on firewall. I have never had this issue in the past. Any Ideas??

Shane
Attached Thumbnails 2JZGE valve cover catch can-47_zps9v9przi4.jpg  
Old 08-10-15, 02:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you are pushing enough boost to need more crank case evacuation.

there are 2 schools of thought when you are in that situation.

1) increase the amount of evacuation by ditching the PCV and installing a breather filter which doubles your pressure relieving power. another bonus is that the oil fumes from the PCV sitting in the intake manifold can no longer increase detonation chances in boost.

2) keep the PCV cause everyone love silly emissions components so much, and then put a can on the end of the passenger side spot going to a "catch can" that will catch the oil. you must empty the can periodically if you get lots of oil.

3) some people do both remove pcv and run both sides to a catch can. you have to do this if you run serious amounts of boost we are talking high hp buils and then you would probably already know about this beforehand or your tuner would have looked at you funny.

I like to ditch the pcv on the drivers side, and put a breather on that valvecover, for me this relieve the pressure enough to not push out any more oil for the levels of boost that I do run. I also modified the passenger side hose barb to be larger and go straight up so both breathers effectively drain back into the valvecover, hence the valvecover is my "catch can" without the lines. the problem with the stock hose barb on the passenger side is that its at a right angle, so any oil on the filter will just seep down via gravity and end up on the exhaust or ground and splatter all over the bellhousing. also its quite small stock like a 3/8" size, so just having one of these in a small size you can see why you have pressure buildup issues and then why it leaks on the floor.

here you can see my latest setup at the toyota meet in colorado I finally did get the valvecors installed with 1 large breather facing straight up on both sides. I don't have any oil leaks or sprays with this setup with the boost I run.

I think its both elegant and efficient to have matching filters on top, and its something you cannot do with GTE valvecovers as they are too tall, on a GTE I would run 2 lines to a catch can and have 2 breathers on that. You can do it on a GE also but if you don't need 2 extra lines and a catch can then why install it you know. I like to keep my charcoal canister in the factory spot i don't like the gas smell with it deleted for a catch can install in its place so this works perfect for me I get to keep my charcoal canister and my oil in my engine.

so here is what it was like when it was stockish with PCV and small right angle filter (boooo!!)

and here it is how I am finally happy with it.

I had kicked the idea around of runnning 2 filter on the passenger side as above in the thread, but the rear filter did interfere with the heater hose coming out of the rear of the block. I could have rerouted it but chose not to as these 2 filters seem to be doing the job very well. I have not had any oil spray at all yet, but I am sure that there is some combination of boost and worn piston rings that would make it spray its not happening to mine is all I can safely say.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-10-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 02:30 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Ali,

Funny thing is I don't drive the car all that much and this is the first time I've ever had this issue. My filter is full of oil. Think I'll replace first and see what happens. Car is fixing to go for upgrades so I'll probably add a more sophisticated set up. Thanks, for the help.

Shane
Old 08-10-15, 02:36 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Ali,

Do you know if anybody makes a single line catch can set-up? I think I could use like a 5/8" rubber line to the can just for the passenger side. That make since?

Shane

Quick Reply: 2JZGE valve cover catch can