Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2JZGE valve cover catch can

Old 05-19-14, 01:16 PM   #1
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)

Default 2JZGE valve cover catch can

I guess I have too many sets of GE valve covers laying around so decided to do some experimenting.
I got the idea from the audi forums that use the oil cap as an extra breather.

So I figured the GE valve covers have alot of extra space for venting, so I came up with the valve cover catch can.

Why run lines over to a catch can with a larger breather on it, to simply have to drain the oil later.
Why not just make the valve cover a more effective breather than factory?

Everyones familiar with the exhaust side valve cover and the stock barb thats way too small.

lets remove that piece you can work it out with some vice grips and twist back and forth.
Click the image to open in full size.

I don't think just drilling this one hole larger and tapping it will do, lets try drilling that and another hole. I know I did 3 in the picture below but I ended up not using the middle one.

Top view

Not sure if its needed or could hurt possibly but I made some extra holes in the baffle to allow that first vent to relieve pressure without shooting oil everywhere like if you remove baffles, remember this is the catch can now we need the baffle.

And that is as far as I got. haven't ran it on the car and you would only want to do this if you have a map sensor setup.
This should relieve the extra pressure without needing a dedicated catch can.
You can leave the drivers side PCV in, or you can also run a third breather on the PCV drivers side, same process, remove pcv and tap, but on drivers side you do not need to drill it out larger its already the right size for tapping.

And I know the filters don't match but those are the ones I had handy

Good luck and Happy modding!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-19-14 at 01:24 PM..
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 07:15 PM   #2
Halon
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Halon

Good idea. I may steal this idea but just do one filter on each valve cover (ditching the PCV). Get the ventilation you need with less hoses running everywhere.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 05:27 AM   #3
mecheng10
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

hmmmmm
interesting. I assume if you do that, you cant run a strut tower brace? or does it sit far enough back?

Besides lag is just a JZ owners version of FOREPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mecheng10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 08:44 AM   #4
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

I used to have 1 one each cover, then I put my PCV back when I put my stock intake back on.
With 1 breather sometimes there are pressure issues, so I decided this way I could use pcv and have 2 breathers on the passenger side.
I don't have a can in anymore cause I like the charcoal canister being there so I don't smell fuel all the time.
I don't think it would interfere with a strut tower brace, its in the back by the firewall.

When I get a chance to put it on the car and get another red filter I will post up some pics.

Old 05-20-14, 02:14 PM   #5
GSXMike
Pole Position

There is always that way (pictured). However over the course of driving you will see a oil film build up in the vicinity of those filters due to Positive Crankcase Pressure (pcv), hence the need for a relief valve.

My opinion, a dedicated catch can that keeps oil out of the intake tract and confined is the best set up. The oil that breathes out of filters will always accelerate rubber deterioration also, as well as any plastic in the area (due to pretroleum based). Plus I think a nice catch can is cleaner looking, and wiping it out a couple times a month when I check oil is no big deal.

Having said that, if it works for you and you like it then that's what is important.
GSXMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 02:32 PM   #6
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

Well most people run a filter on the top of the catch can, so its no different for oil spray it would just happen in another spot then, but it doesn't because the filter on the catch can is so much larger than the variety you can fit on the stock valve cover the pressure is dissipated before it can "spray" .

The stock passenger valve cover has basically a 3/8" hose barb, and drivers side a pcv which does not help under boost. if you remove pcv and tap you now have a 1/2" npt size fitting which can take like a 5/8 barb.

What I have done, is drilled 2x holes in passenger side to the 1/2 npt fitting and run 2x 5/8" barbs with over 1" filters on both. If you do this and retain the factory PCV, you have still more than doubled the original evacuation. If you run filters on the PCV side also, you will have more than trippled the evacuation potential under boost.

Oil will only spray if there is not enough evacuation capability to disperse the pressure meaning the oil gently hits the baffle or filter at the top and drains back into the crank case = what we want.
when you do not have enough cross sectional evacuation area from using too small lines or filters or not enough, the pressure builds up in the crank case and shoots the mist. You can try and catch some of it in the can but unless it has a large opening somewhere its going to spray there or back into the intake if hooked up.

If you look at the old big block supercharged cars and whatnot with high crank case pressures, what they do is just run large filters on the valve cover instead of a catch can. If done right you wont get any spray, well thats the idea.

On a gte the ports face sideways so you wouldn't want to do it, but on our valve covers its almost like they were asking us too. I will install it and update you guys when I get a chance. right now I just have a small filter on the passenger side and I get no oil spray whasoever on my low boost around 12 psi setting. even on the higher settings I don't get any real oil spray but I can smell that oil burning smell from not having enough evacuation and you cook some turbo oil in the lines from not being able to drain during the pull, and I dislike oil burning smells, and replacing my charcoal canister with a catch can, or draining oil from a catch can.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-20-14 at 02:36 PM..
Old 07-25-14, 08:59 PM   #7
HiPSI
Lead Lap

Any updates on this Ali? I've been pricing out / looking at catch can ideas but this looks inexpensive and effective.
94 Lexus SC300 - Garnett Red - BC Coilovers - TT Wheels - GTE HG / ARP Headstuds - Hard Wired Aeromotive 340lph / 550cc inj - PTE 6265 - 4" downpipe / midpipe - Fujitsubo Cat-back - ETS 4" FMIC - 4" Intake - JDM 6spd Supra ECU conversion - Innovate SCG-1 Boost controller / Wideband - Apexi SAFC Neo - VVTi IS300 COP - Competition Clutch Stg 4 - Now Boosted
HiPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 09:43 AM   #8
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

Haven't run it yet HiPSI as the car is down for FFIM, but likely I think I will be slapping it on now and seeing how it does so will keep you updated. probably a few weeks before I get it up and running how I want it.

Old 08-13-14, 10:30 AM   #9
Halon
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Halon

Cool. Better evap system is on my list for this years winter mods. If this works, and doesn't leak oil all over, I'll probably go this route for simplicity sake.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 10:37 AM   #10
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

Yup I only bothered because I want my evap canister and I don't see a great spot for a catch can anywhere that I like.

Old 08-15-14, 06:23 AM   #11
killersqrl
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, I've been looking at catch cans too, but like you, don't have much room for one. I like that simple approach and look forward to an update on how it works.
killersqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 05:25 PM   #12
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

I took a look at the car and now I am thinking that back filter is going to interfere with my heater hose back there. will see if there is enough space to move it a little out of the way or something.

Old 08-18-14, 05:25 PM

Tags
2jz, catch, ge, oil