Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My first Sc300 seeking advice !

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 04:14 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Sc300 seeking advice !

I am 100% new and a real amatuer here.
I often come here reading threads on how to tune up my future car but
i gotta start at ground zero !
Im only 16 and my uncle is selling his sc300 to me which is currently at 180k miles.
Just wondering what should i watchout for and be wary of at its current condition?
its a 5 spd manual transmission.
i belive its 1997 year but i forgot to ask because we were at a family gathering
Old 05-11-14, 06:15 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

97 5 spd I'd swoop it up if the price is right. 180k is just getting warmed up on these. I'd check the basics like leaks, ball joints (front lca's are not a cheap purchase). This is a great first car, affordable, reliable, and look way better than grandpa's Le Sabre.
Old 05-11-14, 09:41 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 94 sc300 I sort of like mines but I wanna to be something different. 97 and 5spd get it because it's hard to find one in MT all others come in auto and you have to spend money converting to manual. Just listen to Halon what he wrote hopefullt u get the car u like.
Old 05-11-14, 10:12 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys !
and yeah my uncles selling to me for 2g.
and im making monthlys to him !
i could be wrong on the year tho.
Old 05-11-14, 10:50 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

that is an awesome deal if the car is in good shape and with those miles. i would definitely take it for that price especially cz its a manual. and it's in the family so even better, he won't leave u hanging if u have problems.
Old 05-12-14, 06:36 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

$2k for a 97 5spd is a helluva deal, assuming its in halfway decent condition that is. You're in MN? If you don't buy it, tell him I'll come buy it for that price.
Old 05-12-14, 12:51 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

yeah im located in mn but sorry guys these deal is too sweet to pass on considering its a family passdown for my first car
Old 05-12-14, 01:02 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Where you at in MN? I'm over in Blaine. Let me know if you ever need a hand or anything.
Old 05-12-14, 04:21 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

I'm over in borderline Brooklyn Center
and awesome thanks .
i will
Old 05-12-14, 06:21 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're getting a '97 5spd then you're getting one of the most coveted and sought after SC's on the world. They only made 120 '97 5spds, this is important because this is the first year of the new body-style and last year they made manuals, so you get the best of both worlds.
If thats what you're getting then you're one lucky 16 yr old. I've been looking for the perfect '97 5spd for over 10 years. And the ones I've seen are either beat to hell or ridiculously expensive.

Here's a link to take a read through..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-has-them.html

..if you're planning on modding it, PLEASE please make sure they're thought out and researched mods. It would be a shame to ruin a gem like this with hack-job Honda style mods.
Old 05-12-14, 11:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Reminds me of how lucky I was to get my first car, which wasn't your average ride. Glad you took him up on his offer. Unless you have many thousands burning a hole in your pocket I'd hold off on turbocharging it or swapping it (seriously, if it's your FIRST car you can still get into a lot of trouble with a non-turbo SC300 5-speed even if you aren't beating V8's off the line). Focus on the brakes (highly, highly, highly recommend getting 1995-99 LS400 front brakes swapped in-- so much safer than stock brakes in addition to being great for performance), and suspension and other projects that will tighten up the ride. There is plenty more to do down the road.

One thing you will experience with this car is that even though you'll occasionally have to address a minor maintenance issue or two (if needed) it's a virtually bulletproof and highly reliable car. Take care of it and it will never let you down.

Congratulations and enjoy it! And by all means, please show us some pictures.
Old 05-13-14, 04:41 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
97 5 spd I'd swoop it up if the price is right. 180k is just getting warmed up on these. I'd check the basics like leaks, ball joints (front lca's are not a cheap purchase). This is a great first car, affordable, reliable, and look way better than grandpa's Le Sabre.
You're way out of line with the affordable part. Maybe if you make decent money, but absolutely not for a 16yo. It'd take 3 weeks of work just to replace the flcas if he disco skated every sonic burger out to the customers and they were willing to tip extra for the show.

Last edited by Vrank; 05-13-14 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 11:48 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Oh, no, not affordable at all. Sure it beats MBZ and BMW coupes of the same era but that's not saying much. I'm 18, mine is not suitable to drive most of the time, and I put around $300 a month into maintenance. thank god it's a second car.
Old 05-13-14, 12:04 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

$2k for a first car is definitely affordable in my book as long as the car is in decent condition, like I said. That's not much more than I spent on my first car when I was 15 working at McDonald's. I specifically mentioned to inspect the lower front control arms to make sure they are still decent so you DON'T have to pay for those because they are expensive, like I said. If the car is in decent shape, you shouldn't have to do anything outside of routine maintenance such as oil changes, spark plugs, etc. These cars were built to last. If routine maintenance is not within your budget, then you should question whether or not your ready for a vehicle.
Old 05-16-14, 11:05 AM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys

Quick Reply: My first Sc300 seeking advice !