Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

cracked power steering hose

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-14, 04:01 PM   #1
V8drummer
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)
 
V8drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 480
Default cracked power steering hose

I got rear ended on the way to work this morning :/. The force caused the power steering line that connects to the reservoir to crack. Can I find tubing for that at an auto parts store and will it be okay to drive the car a few miles with little power steering fluid?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by V8drummer; 05-15-14 at 09:00 PM..
V8drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 04:52 PM   #2
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)
 
Vrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 886
Default

Yeah, it won't kill the pump right away. Hell, I had a leaking rack on a beater daily that I was tired of dumping money on fluid and drove without it for months because idgaf, fixed the rack, **** worked fine still. Any parts store should have ps hose. You needed the hoses replaced anyway. Lexus might have some in stock, or possibly could have em in a day or two. But either option should work
Vrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 06:44 AM   #3
BiGEZ
Pole Position
Trader Score: (18)
 
BiGEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 310
Default

Your best bet is to remove the PS hose and have a shop rebuild it for you. I had the one for my 96 SC300 rebuilt at a local shop that does hydraulic hose for $48. They reused the metal lines and used all new hoses and crimp clamps.
__________________

2001 GS300 Silver on black<> TTE Replica Lip<> XXR 20x8.5, 20x10 +35mm offset wheels.
96 SC300 auto, black on black<> 99 oem body kit <> LS400 BBK <> Supra TT Suspension <> 6K HIDs. More to come.
BiGEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 09:00 PM   #4
V8drummer
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)
 
V8drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrank View Post
Yeah, it won't kill the pump right away. Hell, I had a leaking rack on a beater daily that I was tired of dumping money on fluid and drove without it for months because idgaf, fixed the rack, **** worked fine still. Any parts store should have ps hose. You needed the hoses replaced anyway. Lexus might have some in stock, or possibly could have em in a day or two. But either option should work
Yup, drove to the parts store.. a new hose and quart of Dexron later it's good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEZ View Post
Your best bet is to remove the PS hose and have a shop rebuild it for you. I had the one for my 96 SC300 rebuilt at a local shop that does hydraulic hose for $48. They reused the metal lines and used all new hoses and crimp clamps.
It wasn't the high pressure hose.
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34061&dateline=1279141654
1992 pearl white sc400
1976 chevy shorty stepside: Sold!!!
V8drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 10:04 PM   #5
GSXMike
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8drummer View Post
I got rear ended on the way to work this morning :/. The force caused the power steering line that connects to the reservoir to crack. Can I find tubing for that at an auto parts store and will it be okay to drive the car a few miles with little power steering fluid?
Search google for hydraulic hose repair in your area and you should be able to find some places that can make you a new line.
GSXMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 10:04 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
cracked, hose, power, steering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96 alternator wiring harness plug jscoda LS400 6 08-07-14 02:40 AM
Weird power steering leak. rofflehous GS - Second Generation 3 07-31-14 01:06 PM
power transmission fluid or power steering fluid connan23 ES350 (2007 - 2012) 2 07-19-14 05:14 PM
2008 RX 350 Power Steering Assembly Replacement PeterJ63 RX - Second Generation 2 02-10-14 08:13 PM
Weard power steering problem Kakaroto Performance & Maintenance 7 09-18-12 05:45 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info