Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boost & Fuel Cut Defenders - Educate me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 07:42 AM
deputy865
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost & Fuel Cut Defenders - Educate me?

So I've decided to get some more out of my car. It's been sitting at 10psi for quite awhile now with it's current set up and I've recently decided to up my electronics game to wake this car up!

Soarer 1JZGTE
Single turbo ( Garret GT30 w/ GT40 Internals)
Supra fuel pump
Stock Injectors
Stock ECU
FMIC
3" full exhaust
As stated, currently at 10psi.

I'm picking up an AEM Tru-Bost Boost controller to pair with my AEM Wideband. Currently at full boost, my car runs pig rich at 10.0 and shows perfect AFR's while cruising. It's time to up the boost and wake up this car and turbo!

I'm obviously going to run into boost and fuel cut. The fuel cut defender seems pretty straight forward to me and doesn't sound like it will harm my engine...

The boost cut defender on the other hand has me baffled. From what I've searched, all it does is truck the ECU into thinking it is running at 12psi (or whatever) when it is running much more than that. I intend to run as much boost as I can while keeping my AFR's safe at WOT. My big question is that if the ECU is tricked into thinking it is running 12psi, when it is in fact running say 18psi, will it only produce fuel as if it were running 12psi, thus leaning me wayyyy out at 18psi?

So far I've searched the DIY boost cut defenders and this is all I've been able to find... that and dead end threads to my question(s). Trying to find a professionally made one has somehow proven difficult for me....

For now, I intend to stay with my stock ECU, wideband and electronic boost controller. Once I've gotten bored or maxed these things out, I'll upgrade to a programmable ECU and start producing big boy numbers.... but, this is what I'm willing to spend for now.

Educate me!

Thanks,

Shane
Old 03-25-14, 11:21 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference between a boost cut or fuel cut on these cars is 5 letters. In function it's the same thing. You nailed the function of how they both work and their limitation perfectly. The 'best' case scenario is to run it very rich above the point where fuel/boost cut occurs. At that point on, it pretty much is just a massive hail mary. On stock twins under 18psi, its actually quite safe because of how conservative the timing on these cars is. I don't think many would advocate running 20+ psi with one of those.
Old 03-25-14, 11:53 AM
deputy865
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
The difference between a boost cut or fuel cut on these cars is 5 letters. In function it's the same thing. You nailed the function of how they both work and their limitation perfectly. The 'best' case scenario is to run it very rich above the point where fuel/boost cut occurs. At that point on, it pretty much is just a massive hail mary. On stock twins under 18psi, its actually quite safe because of how conservative the timing on these cars is. I don't think many would advocate running 20+ psi with one of those.
20psi would be my limit with the turbo I'm running and the rest... I wouldn't want to push it past that point. Not even sure the stock injectors could keep up at that point either.

Would it be safe to run 20psi (max) with one of these defenders and not have to worry about leaning out to the point of killing my motor? Obviously I'll be able to keep an eye on it with my wideband....

So if they are both essentially the same thing, do I need both, or do I just need one? Been eyeing up the HKS Fuel Cut Defenders. Would that do it for me? Nothing else needed?

Guess my main question is: What exactly is needed for me to run more boost with my given set up, factory ECU and electronic boost controller?

Last edited by deputy865; 03-25-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-25-14, 12:33 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need bigger injectors, something to tune fuel with, and someone that knows what there doin to tune it.
Old 03-25-14, 01:05 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need at least an SAFC. Assuming you have 370s in there you may need 440s or 550s.
Old 03-25-14, 01:36 PM
deputy865
Driver

SAFC + Fuel Cut Defender + AEM Tru-Boost?

I actually have experience with the SAFC's, so that might work out fine with me.

I guess I wouldn't mind upgrading the injectors. Relatively cheap and easy to do.

It's the boost and fuel cut that I feel are holding me back at this point.
Old 03-25-14, 02:11 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost cut/fuel cut, same thing, just worded different. 440s/fcd/safc and make 400whp.
Old 03-25-14, 02:24 PM
deputy865
Driver

Originally Posted by Vrank
Boost cut/fuel cut, same thing, just worded different. 440s/fcd/safc and make 400whp.
Cool, thanks.. Gives me something to look forward to. I might bump up to some 500's or 600's as far as injectors as I'll be upgrading my turbo soon. My grand goal is to reach the 800hp mark, but that isn't until I got full standalone, E85, big injectors, duel fuel pumps, etc lol.

I was looking at the GReddy Emanage Ultimate. Seems a little more user friendly to me. Pair that with the rest and I think I might be pretty happy!

Shane