Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.

Old 03-23-14, 03:33 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.

I thought I'd share my experience replacing my center support bearing and hopefully this will serve as a general guide on what to expect when doing so. This is a condensed version so I may have missed a few steps, feel free to add any information I may have missed.

This was done on a 1998 SC300.

These four things will make this job easier:
1. A lift
2. A vice
3. An impact gun
4. A helper (for removing exhaust)

It is important to mark the driveshaft so everything is re-installed the same way it was removed. This will prevent the driveshaft from getting unbalanced.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-1.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-2.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-3.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-4.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-5.jpg  

Old 03-23-14, 03:34 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Reserved for more pics.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-6.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-7.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-8.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-9.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-10.jpg  

Old 03-23-14, 03:35 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Reserved for last pics.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-11.jpg   HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-center-bearing-12.jpg  
Old 04-20-14, 10:38 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Smile

I had to take off the drive shaft again since new bearing was a defect. It made a whirring noise in 1st gear.

Good news is that I didn't have to take off my exhaust system to remove it. I found out that I was able to slip the drive shaft through the Y-pipe in the rear section of the exhaust. This might apply to your set up if you have a similar exhaust as mine.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.-sc300-driveshaft-removal.jpg  
Old 04-21-14, 12:56 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Thank you very much for this! I recently picked up a new center support bearing for the future and I was going to look for an existing DIY. The pictures and detail help greatly!
Old 04-21-14, 07:23 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Awesome, you're welcome, follow up with any tips or whatever you'd like to add. I heard some bearings have snap rings on them, but mine didn't.
Old 10-17-15, 09:28 AM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luxor
Reserved for last pics.

Are these the culprits that vibrate and make clunking noise when they become worn?.
Old 10-22-15, 10:32 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

I don't think my shaft needs to be balanced or that I need a flex coupler but thanks for this post!! Can you say what part number you used for the driveshaft center bearing!?
Old 11-12-15, 08:26 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXOWINO
I don't think my shaft needs to be balanced or that I need a flex coupler but thanks for this post!! Can you say what part number you used for the driveshaft center bearing!?
I used a SKF HB171010 center bearing. I am not sure if I would recommend this brand because my bearing to this day makes a whirring noise in 1st gear. I should have gone OEM on this one...
Old 11-12-15, 08:28 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXOWINO
Are these the culprits that vibrate and make clunking noise when they become worn?.
I am not sure about clunking, but vibrating yes.
Old 12-25-15, 06:02 AM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
I used a SKF HB171010 center bearing. I am not sure if I would recommend this brand because my bearing to this day makes a whirring noise in 1st gear. I should have gone OEM on this one...
Wish I'd read this earlier now I'm stuck with a bearing that could be faulty but I will still install it I have not done it yet and I hope it fixes the issue with the noise it makes it kind of sounds like it's banging at certain rpms and it vibrates when I Drive
Old 05-10-17, 04:55 AM
jbtvt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice writeup. Seems like you were having a vibration issue even though the rubber appears intact. I'm getting driveline vibration and am questioning my support as well, but haven't found any videos showing how much play is considered acceptable. If you get a chance can you check the one I posted at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9862961 and tell me what you think? How did you diagnose your center support as the problem, did the bearing squeal at all on yours? Mine is silent.
Old 05-11-17, 07:32 PM
LoudonMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much!! Bravo Zulu!

I hve been putting this off, but now that I have a sense on what is involved I will be working on this in the next few days.
Old 02-08-18, 09:19 PM
GrantReid
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luxor,
You probably discovered this by now but it was not likely the center bearing, but rather the transmission that was the problem. Is this correct? If the sound is present in first gear only, then look to first gear as the source.

We are all guilty of thinking the cause of a problem is the repair we just made to the related area, seeming to forget that repairs are corrected problems, not fuzzy confusions in our head.
Old 06-11-19, 08:06 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

In case anyone was wondering you can change this in the car without removing the rear shaft or exhaust, i did it in like an hour it just sucks but i lost no fluid!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Replace center support bearing and remove driveshaft.