Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz replace or rebuild turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 08:56 PM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1jz replace or rebuild turbos?

Whats up everyone, i'm pretty new to cl in fact this is my first thread. i'm doing a soarer 1j swap on my sc and the car started up first crank but then started smoking like hell, my turbos are leaking bad and was wondering (since the toyota dealership cant seem to figure out what car this engine came out of in the us) does anyone know of a compatible turbo? like is the 2j the same exact application? i'm trying to keep my twin setup and would like to rebuild or replace them with brand new ones. any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-14, 01:28 AM
Lokz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driftmotion rebuilds the stock 1jz turbo's but they are pricey or you can go get used one's around you might find it in classifieds section.
Old 03-23-14, 06:13 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

My friend did a 1jz swap and his were puking oil and smoking. Apparently they over fill it when they pull it out and have it in storage. It should be okay. Did you try letting it run for a while and seeing of it stopped?
Old 03-23-14, 08:06 AM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

Originally Posted by Lokz
Driftmotion rebuilds the stock 1jz turbo's but they are pricey or you can go get used one's around you might find it in classifieds section.
i'm afraid to go used, i don't want to run into the same problem. how much do you think it will cost me to rebuild both turbos?
Old 03-23-14, 08:10 AM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

Originally Posted by 1CleanSC
My friend did a 1jz swap and his were puking oil and smoking. Apparently they over fill it when they pull it out and have it in storage. It should be okay. Did you try letting it run for a while and seeing of it stopped?
i only let it run for a second. when i took it apart one of the shafts fell out of one turbo.
Old 03-23-14, 08:13 AM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

is this turbo used on any other engine in the U.S. so i can buy them new from toyota?
Old 03-23-14, 10:38 AM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

ok heres what i found out. i don't want the stock turbos because they're crap ceramic wheels are not built to last. there was a recall on the first gen 1j's because of a faulty one-way valve on the head making the turbos even more prone to failure (wikipedia) driftmotion charges $1399 to rebuild and upgrade twins and from what i hear they are here in atlanta. i want my twins and im considering having them rebuilt however i have questions, if i did a single t4 setup can i run it on a stock tune?
Old 03-23-14, 11:04 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go single!!!
Old 03-23-14, 12:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

JonBlaze, I saw this post last night and it seems you've already hit the nail on the head: a shop in Atlanta, GA is the only place I'm aware of in the USA that specifically rebuilds 1JZ twin turbos. And I believe they replace the ceramic wheels with steel wheels. Whatever the recall was in Japan can't be that hard to replicate here if you want to keep the original system.

Otherwise most people tend to go with a single turbo. I'd personally try the upgrade in hopes for slightly more reliability, lifespan and a smidgen more boost but it depends on what you want. You have some form of emissions testing in Georgia so it's really whatever works for you and what level of horsepower would satisfy you from the engine.
Old 03-23-14, 12:55 PM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
JonBlaze, I saw this post last night and it seems you've already hit the nail on the head: a shop in Atlanta, GA is the only place I'm aware of in the USA that specifically rebuilds 1JZ twin turbos. And I believe they replace the ceramic wheels with steel wheels. Whatever the recall was in Japan can't be that hard to replicate here if you want to keep the original system.

Otherwise most people tend to go with a single turbo. I'd personally try the upgrade in hopes for slightly more reliability, lifespan and a smidgen more boost but it depends on what you want. You have some form of emissions testing in Georgia so it's really whatever works for you and what level of horsepower would satisfy you from the engine.
I'm not really hp hungry right now I just want the engine to run well. My reason for wanting my my twin setup is for the response. I plan on getting the car up to 350 whp, I don't want to do many up grades as far as a stand alone, injectors ect. I can get up to 350 with a piggy back. And thank for everyone's response people seem to be secretive about these swaps.
Old 03-23-14, 05:16 PM
jerzsc300
Driver School Candidate

jonblaze2g is the smartest guy i know he's a hero to me. i have no doubt hell prevail once more. I wish he was my dad.
Old 03-24-14, 12:22 PM
Lokz
Driver

There is a shop here locally that does rebuilds on them too but they charge 600 for one turbo and warrenty it for a year i think as long as you are on stock boost level. They dont change shafts, they rebuild it with ceramic shafts itself. Last time i asked them, they said 2 days turn around for both turbos. My current turbo's are not blown but once they do i will most likely go with the upgraded twin turbos from driftmotion. Its pricey but it makes the motor look stockish and still be pretty fast. I have the same goals as yours 350-400 whp daily driver 1jz/w58.
Old 03-24-14, 01:00 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

are you sure its the turbos? or just a guess?
if its not 100% for sure... read below.

Use some seal sweller addative (lucus stuff if you want a brand name) and do an oil change.
It got rid of my smoking by 99% which we all thought was from the turbo's - clearly it wasn't, but more likely a lack of use from sitting over 9 months over a winter period. (august to may).

some synth oils do not have seal swellers - or have very small amounts compared to the quantities as in the High Milage oils - =-
so I would suggest using either conventional oil, and or high milage and use some seal sweller -
the turbos aren't going to be burning oil (smoking bad) when you start up the car, mostly just when under boost/load/high RPMs -
so I would like to think that it could be somethignelse.

is there oil in your intake piping, intercooler, air filter box? around the PCV Valve and its lines?

Not trying to rule out that you did infact take the turbos out and deemed them 'bad' but I have seen it often where it is somethingelse..

Last edited by soarer93; 03-24-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 02:01 PM
98Sc3001jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonBlaze2g
ok heres what i found out. i don't want the stock turbos because they're crap ceramic wheels are not built to last. there was a recall on the first gen 1j's because of a faulty one-way valve on the head making the turbos even more prone to failure (wikipedia) driftmotion charges $1399 to rebuild and upgrade twins and from what i hear they are here in atlanta. i want my twins and im considering having them rebuilt however i have questions, if i did a single t4 setup can i run it on a stock tune?
If your talking about Driftmotion being in the ATL their not, their in Cal. Ive ordered some parts from them before. I am also in the same boat as you my fellow 1jz friend, but my stock turbos have lasted a little over a year for me at 17 lbs. If your north of ATL around flowery branch or Buford i would suggest going to ARD Motorsports, Chris Anderson owns it, he used to own AAP Motorsports, he knows his ****.
Old 03-31-14, 04:28 PM
JonBlaze2g
Driver

Originally Posted by Lokz
There is a shop here locally that does rebuilds on them too but they charge 600 for one turbo and warrenty it for a year i think as long as you are on stock boost level. They dont change shafts, they rebuild it with ceramic shafts itself. Last time i asked them, they said 2 days turn around for both turbos. My current turbo's are not blown but once they do i will most likely go with the upgraded twin turbos from driftmotion. Its pricey but it makes the motor look stockish and still be pretty fast. I have the same goals as yours 350-400 whp daily driver 1jz/w58.
if i did rebuild it wouldn't be with ceramic wheels, i was told they chip and can go into the engine. i'd much rather just put the money out and get an upgraded build (later on down the line) for now i'm gona go single just to put my car back on the road.

Quick Reply: 1jz replace or rebuild turbos?