Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95 sc400 RPM drops and Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 04:52 PM
igobymark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 sc400 RPM drops and Engine Trouble

Hi CL Members,

I'm hoping you guys can help me out. A couple days back I was driving on my way home and out of nowhere the RPM drops on my 95 SC400. The car was struggling just to get up to 45 mph. Also I have noticed the car shakes pretty badly now and there is a burning smell coming from the vents of the car. The engine also sounds different now, it sounds like it's struggling and it doesn't sound smooth like it usually does. Any ideas on what might be wrong it it?

Here are a couple videos of the problem that I recorded:

Thanks!
Old 03-22-14, 01:04 AM
farva812
Driver School Candidate

I noticed the lack of a cel? try checking anyways. This could be anything. My initial guess would be ecu. Im going off the fact that the rpms drop when you give it gas and no cel, but this is going to take a little know how to figure out.

Try and pull a code first. If your not able to pull any than well look into the ecu first. Its probably in limp mode witch would explain why it struggles to get to 45 and typically when a car has a issue that limits it that severely, it throws a code. However that isnt the case here. If iz a bettin man id put tree fitty on bad ecu.
Before you open it up to do a visual inspection, ---try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes than reconnect and start the car.--- If all is well than give it some gas. do what ever you can to try and provoke the symptoms again, AND IF IT DOES run fine for a little while and than run like crap again, ---take the ecu out and open it up for a visual inspection.--- you will know if its good or bad by looking at it or smelling it. Its hard to describe the smell but i guess it shouldnt have a odor at all so if it does than something wrong has happened.

hope this helps

Last edited by farva812; 03-22-14 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 07:06 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

I would try disconnecting ignition coils. If it won't start with one unplugged the other one may be bad
Old 03-22-14, 04:18 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Ignition coils>MAF>o2 sensors>ECU>wires>ect could be everything listed if nothing has been replaced.
Old 03-25-14, 07:07 PM
igobymark
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late reply guys, today is my day off. Turns out it was the ECU, it just looked burnt and damaged. I'll have it rebuilt and see if that fixes everything up.