Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-03, 03:00 AM
2jzsc313
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up clutch+flywheel

okay fellas sup.. this is my first post here... i just bought a 93 5spd sc300 and i noticed that the clutch is slipping under heavy load in higher gears.. and was considering a new clutch.. this car actually belongs to my girl friend and she is planing on going with a bolt on in the future producing something in the mid to low 400hp range.. which clutch setup should i go with? and one last thing.. is the flywheel resurfaceable? or will i have to replace the factory flywheel? persoanlly i just droped like 2grand on my clutch for my supra.. supras are suposed to replace the flywheel every time the clutch is replaced.. there is a chance to resurface the supra flywheel but it must be done very carefully and it must be dry turned.. instead of going through all this hastle i just replaced the supra flywheel with a lightened one including upgrading the clutch to hold my cars power better.. and i was wondering if the process is simular on the sc? i doubt this forum is like the supra forums with all the flaming going around but pls do not flame.. helpful posts will be apreciated.. i am not a newb when it comes to modding cars.. and i have figured a few decent setups for my gf's car already but i want to hear from the sc community.. and would like this chance to say wusup to all you guys and gals out there..

Brian

Last edited by 2jzsc313; 02-08-03 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-08-03, 05:46 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

People have resurfaced the NA flywheel and have had no problems. I'm not sure if the tolerances are as tight as the supra flywheel.

Either way, unlike the supra flywheel, the NA is just over $200 new from Curt @ Elmhurst Toyota. $200 is a small price to pay for some added insurance on clutch/flywheel life.
Old 02-08-03, 08:41 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would resurface the flywheel only if I wasn't planning on forced induction.

Like quickturbo said its not all that expensive like the TT flywheel.

If you're gonna be pushing 400lbs /ft through this thing, the clutch disk is gonna be very grabby and chattery anyways and any imperfection at all in the flywheel is just going to exaggerate an already rough clutch engagement. The stock sized clutch, even with a puck style on a stiffer plate is just barely adequate
for 400lbs/ft.

Just my .02.

P.S. The only good brands I know of in this power range are Clutchmasters stage 3 &4. I have an RPS carbon clutch (6 puck carbon on a stiffer plate)---it sucks.
Old 02-08-03, 11:06 AM
2jzsc313
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys bring up some very good points.. and this is why i trust the opinions of my peers.. heheh well yeah.. $200 isn't much for a stock flywheel.. i thought i was looking at another small fortune gone from my accounts when the clutch started to slip.. the supra tt stock flywheel costs around $600 and thats with a employee discount as well... i shouldn't have a problem getting the parts because i have friends that work at toyota and lexu as well. so thats a load off my shoulders.. so is there a northern cali bay area group around here or is everyone some what scattered?? well thanx for the input guys.. my girl hopes to be boosting enough some day to pass my *** up and you guys just gave her a helping hand in the process.. hehe

Brian