Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering pump: Is there a reliable alternative to the Lexus part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 02:02 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Power Steering pump: Is there a reliable alternative to the Lexus part?

Hi,
I have spent money like crazy this week on the car and now I found out my power steering pump is leaking and killing alternators. I just ordered the Driftmotion power steering hose and loved saving the money on that. I now need the pump and don't want to pay the asking price for the OEM Lexus part. Is there a high quality, reliable alternative to the Lexus part?

Thank You
SG
Old 03-18-14, 02:10 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are $110 online or at Autozone/Advance Auto. How much are you wanting to spend? Anything less will be used. And honestly, it's better to buy these as new.
Old 03-18-14, 03:35 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

110 like he said from Autozone/Advance. Go this route and be happy

I bet Lexus is planning on charging you some ridiculous price.
Old 03-18-14, 04:52 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Ok, cool! Have any of you installed them on your car? How long have they been on the car? I don't want to kill another alternator.
I may try the cheaper one out.
Old 03-18-14, 05:10 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Anything aftermarket is probably a remanufactured PS pump anyway. Never buy "rebuilt". Only "remanufactured".
Old 03-18-14, 08:24 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the one from Autozone about 3 years ago. It's still good. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-19-14, 04:59 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine from federated for $80ish plus $5 to do the block off plug and $10 in fluids. Still running strong. It only took 4 hours to do in subzero temps and two extra trips to pepboys for bolts, washers etc. while you got the res off I highly recommend cleaning the screens in the res and the rack. I removed the res screen and cleaned the rack screen.
Old 03-19-14, 05:46 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Anything aftermarket is probably a remanufactured PS pump anyway. Never buy "rebuilt". Only "remanufactured".
Willdo!
Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I got the one from Autozone about 3 years ago. It's still good. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.
I am going with this one! Thanks Phillip!
Originally Posted by Dream36
Got mine from federated for $80ish plus $5 to do the block off plug and $10 in fluids. Still running strong. It only took 4 hours to do in subzero temps and two extra trips to pepboys for bolts, washers etc. while you got the res off I highly recommend cleaning the screens in the res and the rack. I removed the res screen and cleaned the rack screen.
AWESOME! I am getting one!

THANKS ALL!
Old 03-24-14, 11:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

You deleted the reservoir screen? can you elaborate on this please?

Thank you.
Old 03-25-14, 05:24 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol yes, I tried to remove it to clean it but instead it ripped so I removed the whole assembly. Gotta pop the top to do it and can be a pain to seal back up. It's best to have 24 hours to allow the silicone to dry as I did. It's that simple, however if any chunks of crap get in there it will damage the pump :/ currently I'm looking for a nib res so I can have a screen again
Old 03-25-14, 05:48 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Lol yes, I tried to remove it to clean it but instead it ripped so I removed the whole assembly. Gotta pop the top to do it and can be a pain to seal back up. It's best to have 24 hours to allow the silicone to dry as I did. It's that simple, however if any chunks of crap get in there it will damage the pump :/ currently I'm looking for a nib res so I can have a screen again
Ahhhhh, OK Thanks!
Old 03-25-14, 11:43 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing you can do to prevent the leaking oil from hitting your alternator is to fashion a shield out of an old bleach bottle or something similar in size. I cut mine in half, along with the top half of the bottle to fit over the alternator so in case my new pump did leak, it will prevent it from hitting the alternator. It has been almost a year now and so far, it's good.

The LS400 guys have been doing this for awhile now with no negative results, just saved alternators.

Old 04-06-14, 05:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Another thing you can do to prevent the leaking oil from hitting your alternator is to fashion a shield out of an old bleach bottle or something similar in size. I cut mine in half, along with the top half of the bottle to fit over the alternator so in case my new pump did leak, it will prevent it from hitting the alternator. It has been almost a year now and so far, it's good.

The LS400 guys have been doing this for awhile now with no negative results, just saved alternators.

Wow! Awesome idea! I just purchased a new Mechman high output alternator I want to protect. I will try this as well when we install it. I guess heat / ventilation was no issue with this mod huh?