Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oil filter, buying one at Lexus vs Toyota dealer . . . .

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-14, 08:37 AM   #16
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)
 
t2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 893
Default

Vrank, good to know. I've never used Napa Gold filters, but I've seen them recommended a few times on various forums. I was planning on going with Toyota filters to eliminate the guesswork of what aftermarket item is up to OEM spec, but if the Napa Golds fit the bill, they're a little bit cheaper and more convenient for me to pick up, so I might as well go that route. FIL 1348 is the part # for the SC400, BTW.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
'94 SC400 Factory Frankenstein: '00 RX300 steering wheel, '93-96 GS300 speedo/tach needles, '98-02 GS4xx wheels, Prius lug nuts (eco friendly!) ... LS400 calipers denied wheel clearance for take-off.
Performance: Alternative BFI (BeeFI?), A/T Solenoid Bypass, M2/Manzo axleback exhaust (awaiting mid-pipe resonator delete), 2-Tone Driver's Seat ("performance" as measured by the butt test).
t2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 06:55 AM   #17
Waxologist
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooledSC View Post
We (Toyota dealer) buy those filters by the cases nearly every day and I can assure you that is a false statement. The D1 filter was superceded by the G1. If you find D1's it is old stock.
G1 filters are made in the US. D1 filters are made in Thailand. If you look in the D1 filter you will see a check valve clearly visible. A G1 doesn't have a visible check valve. If you look at the G1 box it tells you what engines it's supposed to be used on. You won't see a 2jz on that list. That being said, both filters are F-08 filters so they will both work without problem. If you look up a filter in the Lexus catalog, It says to use the D1. D1s aren't old stock just different manufacturers. D1s are shipped in boxes of 10' and G1s are shipped in boxes of 12. I personally use D1s just because that's what they recommend.
Waxologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 09:41 AM   #18
ogtony19
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxologist View Post
G1 filters are made in the US. D1 filters are made in Thailand. If you look in the D1 filter you will see a check valve clearly visible. A G1 doesn't have a visible check valve. If you look at the G1 box it tells you what engines it's supposed to be used on. You won't see a 2jz on that list. That being said, both filters are F-08 filters so they will both work without problem. If you look up a filter in the Lexus catalog, It says to use the D1. D1s aren't old stock just different manufacturers. D1s are shipped in boxes of 10' and G1s are shipped in boxes of 12. I personally use D1s just because that's what they recommend.
It says JZ series on the front of the G1 box. Only differences are the D1 is bought in bulk and comes prelubed on the o-ring from the factory.
ogtony19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 03:14 PM   #19
Waxologist
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogtony19 View Post
It says JZ series on the front of the G1 box. Only differences are the D1 is bought in bulk and comes prelubed on the o-ring from the factory.
I see. I didn't notice that on the filter box.But, you're not correct on the bulk thing thou. I will post a picture of the the boxes they come in tomorrow.
Waxologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 07:27 PM   #20
CatManD3W
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (9)
 
CatManD3W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 747
CatManD3W
Default

Get the 90915-YZZD3....Which is the V8 tundra oil filter.....it works just fine and is much bigger than the one that you are showing
__________________
1992 Lexus SC300 Original 5spd #586 4K9 |1 of 1601|
|2JZGTE|Aristo ECU|440's|TT Fuel Pump|BorgWarner S366 0.91A/R@14psi|LS400 BBK|Tial MV-R|Tial Q|W58|CompetitionClutch Stage 4|ARP Headstuds|3" IC & Piping|18" 350z Touring Wheels|SC400 OEM Lip|6000k HID|


1999 Toyota Tacoma X-Cab

|5VZFE|5spd|4wd|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Herculined Bed and Rocker Panels|Bilstein Adjustable 5100's|Wheelers Custom AAL|Bilstein 5125's|Deckplate mod|Magnaflow exhaust|33X10.5X15 BFG A/T|OEM 15X7's
CatManD3W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 09:36 AM   #21
Waxologist
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 7
Default

G1s are ordered in quantities of 12 while D1s are ordered in boxes of 10. It doesn't matter how many toyota orders, they will just be in boxes of 10 or 12.When I looked at the 2 filters, the G1 is actually the one with the visible check valve.
Attached Images
 
Waxologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 11:52 AM   #22
oldManTan
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: illinois
Posts: 775
Default

the paranoia is strong with these folks lol
__________________
'92 SC400 Tan on Tan, BFI, Tanabe Medallion exhaust,
Megan Racing EZ Street Coilovers, TechnaFit SS lines, Blue TT Calipers,
A/T Solenoid Bypass, TT Auto Diff, MKIV LCAs,
4300k HIDs, IS300 Steering wheel,
Cobra R Reps 17x9 DZ102 225,45,
hopefully a 5 speed swap in the near future Build Here
oldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 04:42 PM   #23
ogtony19
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxologist View Post
G1s are ordered in quantities of 12 while D1s are ordered in boxes of 10. It doesn't matter how many toyota orders, they will just be in boxes of 10 or 12.When I looked at the 2 filters, the G1 is actually the one with the visible check valve.
I'm a tech at a Toyota dealer here in KC, and when i mean bulk i mean when the parts department orders filters they order them by the hundreds maybe thousands. That is bulk, not by how many are in a box.
And the D3 is the filter that the UZ family of V8s take. I think only difference is that it has more oil capacity than the D1/G1

Last edited by ogtony19; 08-04-14 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: added info
ogtony19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 01:50 AM   #24
Aron9000
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 977
Default

I guess next time I do this I can just ask for an oil filter for a 1993 Toyota Supra, non-turbo motor, just to make things simple.
Aron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 03:19 AM   #25
Waxologist
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogtony19 View Post
I'm a tech at a Toyota dealer here in KC, and when i mean bulk i mean when the parts department orders filters they order them by the hundreds maybe thousands. That is bulk, not by how many are in a box.
And the D3 is the filter that the UZ family of V8s take. I think only difference is that it has more oil capacity than the D1/G1
I understand what you mean by bulk. I'm in South Carolina. This is the south eastern region for Toyota. I do stock orders for Toyota all the time. I always order filters in bulk. It's not because I have to, it's because it doesn't make sense to order 10 or 12 filters when we sell hundreds of filters in a day.
Waxologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 03:19 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2jz, code, denso, engine, filter, lexus, oil, toyota, whats

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How old is your daily driver???? Aron9000 Car Chat 26 02-04-14 06:14 AM
Your favorite "domestic" car/truck you've owned . . . Aron9000 Car Chat 25 01-14-14 04:48 AM
Sorry Mr T and Goldfinger, no more gold badges . . Aron9000 SC 400/300 13 04-29-13 02:09 PM
How "beat" is your beater . . . . Post up pics of your beater Aron9000 Car Chat 18 09-28-12 05:40 PM
Newb here saying HELLO . . . . Aron9000 SC 400/300 20 08-13-12 12:35 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info