Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

steering wheel swaps??

Old 03-05-14, 11:47 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default steering wheel swaps??

i looked through like 5 pages on the search and got tired. is there another thread if there is can someone direct me to it?

my steering wheel is awful, it's like chunky and black and gross, it was tan, so i'm looking to get a different one. i would like a quick release, or any regular 6 bolt, but i'm not sure about what the sizes are and what to look for really? theres some really cheap ones on ebay and stuff but i dont' wanna just go ahead and buy one.

so basically just show your swapped wheels and let us know how you did it, where you got it, and any other info? or just other threads that might help

thanks
Old 03-06-14, 01:44 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to help you out here real quick. DO NOT buy that crappy steering wheels on ebay, their quality is serious poop. As far as doing a steering wheel swap on your SC, it is extremely basic and a very easy mod to do. If you want to do a quick release, that is also very easy. Just make sure you buy a short hub so that your steering wheel does not sit too far into your lap. Most steering wheel manufacturers follow the six bolt pattern so you should be able to mix and match fairly easily.

You can get a steering wheel hub from: MOMO, SPARCO, NRG, Works Bell (most toyota hubs will work on the SC, i used one from a Scion xB and it worked just fine)

You can get a Quick Release from: MOMO, SPARCO. NRG

Steering wheel manufacturers that are reputable: MOMO, SPARCO, Nardi, Personal,
Old 03-06-14, 12:25 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

What prices should I be looking for? The wheels and everything seems pretty expensive. What about swapping another Lexus or Toyota wheel? How does that work?
Old 03-06-14, 12:55 PM
scott101
Pole Position

are you looking to keep an airbag or not?

if not, like the others were saying, MOMO, SPARCO, Nardi, Personal, there are a few other japanese brands i like.

youll need a steering wheel hub specific for toyotas of this era (goes onto splined shaft and has 6 bolts). you then bolt the quick release to this and the wheel to the quick release

heres how you remove the old one
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...l-removal.html

not too difficult of a job

I personally went with a mooneyes wheel (requires extra adapter and slight modification). i like the look but thats just me,
Attached Thumbnails steering wheel swaps??-img_4908.jpg  
Old 03-06-14, 02:26 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

that looks bad ***, i got a tan interior though, so my choices are a little more limited since nothing matches the interior at all lol. i'm not sure what i wanna do yet. i need to find a junkyard and go look for some Lexuses there and just take one of the wheels if they're good and try to slap it on.
Old 03-06-14, 02:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there are threads with all the pictures of wheels from other toyota and lexus vehicles.
Ill leave this one up since you are also considering aftermarket but I think those are in there also.
Old 03-07-14, 08:15 PM
1UZStoked
Driver School Candidate

Check out Grip Royal wheels. Awesome designs,multiple materials & finishes to choose fromgreat ,price for quick release as well!
Old 03-08-14, 10:26 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

grip royal it is. once i have some cash gonna get a royal clay classic, seems to match the leather in the car well.
Old 03-08-14, 11:23 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Honestly the best no-brainer is a black leather steering wheel from an IS300(5spd)/MR2-Spyder/Matrix-XRS/Corolla-XRS and an airbag from any of those vehicles.

Any airbag that fits those steering wheels will work in the SC with an SPX adapter. I've done it myself.

The 1998 RAV4 steering wheel in non-leather is also compatible. Not that you'd want it but the airbag is the same shape as the IS300 airbag but with a Toyota logo instead of the Lexus logo. And it's cheaper than the IS300 airbag.

IF you were to swap to this wheel, either SEM paint your column cover black to obtain an OEM black column cover. In a tan interior car doing the column makes it look like it came from the factory that way.

I read that you're looking at aftermarket wheels, too. This above-mentioned style of Toyota steering wheel is a great OEM looking part that feels FAR better in hand than the old SC four-spoke sedan steering wheel that looks like it came from the LS400.