Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY: SC300/400 Seafoam Guide! With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 01:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

gonna do this on my next oil change in a few thousand miles. did it the oil change previous to this one. also gonna clean the oil pan because my oil comes out black in a couple weeks (few hundred miles) but the dipstick is nice and clean.
Old 08-20-14, 06:37 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice DIY, I was never sure where to put it exactly. My cr runs perfect, but I'm due for oil change, and want to change spark plugs as well, do you think I should seafoam it?
Old 08-22-14, 11:21 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Nice DIY, I was never sure where to put it exactly. My cr runs perfect, but I'm due for oil change, and want to change spark plugs as well, do you think I should seafoam it?
How many miles are on your SC?

I didn't see a huge change except that my Idle RPM dropped big time.

If your over 115k I'd recommend it if you do plugs, and change the oil right after.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 08-22-14, 03:27 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I think I'm going to do it Sunday. I'm at 127K, and do for an oil change. I also have spark plugs and wires brand new sitting here from my last SC that I got rid of. The spark plugs in this car have never been done to my knowledge, but my car runs perfect and I track my MPG which is correct. It idles around 700rpm. I did have complete timing belt kit serviced a month or so ago including crank/cam seals etc.... I also plan to do PCV valve and grommet after seafoam, I'm ordering that from Sewell now. Like I said car runs great, never a problem, so this is just a little cleaning. Then change sparks, filters, and put in some Royal Purple to keep her healthy.
Old 08-22-14, 03:35 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

it won't hurt that's for sure. just do it, change oil and plugs afterwards and you're set.
Old 08-24-14, 02:45 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Well I Seafoamed it. Not as much smoke as I was expecting, but perhaps that's a good thing. Gave it a run around the block and noticed the idle rpm around 650 when I was done. It ran perfect, and very quiet as it was already running great. Afterwards I pulled the plugs, changed oil and filter, and put in new spark plug wires. Now idles higher at around 750-800.... Weird...

I used the recommended Denso wires, NGK Iridiums. Oil came out fairly clean too during the change, but these were the plugs. I believe these were originals, as were the wires I removed.

Old 08-25-14, 12:12 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Well I Seafoamed it. Not as much smoke as I was expecting, but perhaps that's a good thing. Gave it a run around the block and noticed the idle rpm around 650 when I was done. It ran perfect, and very quiet as it was already running great. Afterwards I pulled the plugs, changed oil and filter, and put in new spark plug wires. Now idles higher at around 750-800.... Weird...

I used the recommended Denso wires, NGK Iridiums. Oil came out fairly clean too during the change, but these were the plugs. I believe these were originals, as were the wires I removed.

I'm glad to hear that the Seafoam worked for ya!

I believe that the more miles your SC has when you do this treatment, the better results you may experience.

I having not even 100,000 miles yet, I just noticed a little bit more throttle response, but also I noticed my RPMs dropped?

Maybe your RPMs were low because the car had warmed up. Warm the car up with the new plugs and tell me if the RPMs dropped than what they were previously at.
Old 08-25-14, 12:59 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't use iridium plugs.

they last much longer than copper plugs, but you will also blow a HG before your plugs melt, if your motor ever got to that point.

it's got a very high melting temp. i would rather have my plugs go out, than blow a HG.
Old 08-25-14, 01:29 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by irondonkey
I wouldn't use iridium plugs.

they last much longer than copper plugs, but you will also blow a HG before your plugs melt, if your motor ever got to that point.

it's got a very high melting temp. i would rather have my plugs go out, than blow a HG.
I was under the impression those NGK's were the best plugs for the 1UZ, at least that's what I gathered on here when I bought them. My RPM's have dropped back down to when I seafoamed the other day. All is good, runs perfect, ultra quiet. I was actually driving and pulled up to a red light, and I thought my car stalled, but it's just running so smooth I couldn't tell it was on...
Old 08-25-14, 02:24 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
I just turned 128k since taking ownership at 127 and am doing Seafoam in gas tank before my "first" oil change. Probably will not be doing it in oil.
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Share your results
Old 08-27-14, 07:49 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

I was under the impression those NGK's were the best plugs for the 1UZ, at least that's what I gathered on here when I bought them. My RPM's have dropped back down to when I seafoamed the other day. All is good, runs perfect, ultra quiet. I was actually driving and pulled up to a red light, and I thought my car stalled, but it's just running so smooth I couldn't tell it was on...
your motor will probably never see the point to where plugs will melt, but its just a safe keeping thing i like to do.

yeah, NGK's are the best plugs for pretty much all imports. they also make copper plugs, which is what I run.
Old 09-06-14, 09:50 AM
Rezist89
Rookie

im gonna try this one man
Old 09-08-14, 09:14 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 300 Seafoam

I've seen a couple of write ups on seafoaming 400's but I haven't found one on 300s. Maybe I just didn't see it but do you still pour it in the PVC valve like the 400s? I think they have different ones.
Old 09-21-14, 10:41 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 300 Seafoam

What, 300's don't get any love on this thread?
Old 09-21-14, 03:56 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea man, its the same method on every car. just follow his steps and you'll be just fine.
op: good write up

Quick Reply: DIY: SC300/400 Seafoam Guide! With Pictures