Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How do I reverse this mod ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 07:11 PM
Celtica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I reverse this mod ??

So in January, I had the resonators removed and after much driving, I know that i"m not imagining the loss of power. It's noticeably slower.. Anyway, I need to know if you guys know of anyplace that sells those same resonators separately or if I should get different ones altogether? The only ones I can find online wants $583 for the whole stock center pipe piece with the two resonators. I can't afford that. I need my low and mid range power back, can you guys give me any helpful suggestions? The car is otherwise running fine, but driving it isn't the same anymore... The only upside was the pleasant exhaust note, but I'll gladly take silence for my torque back.... Please help ! Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-14, 07:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well do a full custom exhaust setup now. Look in the regional forums for better answers to local questions.
Old 02-27-14, 07:23 PM
Celtica
Driver

I'm not sure that I can afford that either, and to be honest, if this little mod caused a drop in usable power, I'm not so sure that I want to mess with it any further... Besides, being in California, I couldn't do a true dual exhaust anyways.. I just want to get back to stock or as close to it as possible. I can't seem to find any oem replacement resonators anywhere..

Last edited by Celtica; 02-27-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 05:56 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Use any universal resonators. Hell, even a couple glass packs should do the trick.
Old 02-28-14, 09:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

^^ yeah just measure the diameter of the piping it will be in th 2.25-2.5" area cannot remember exactly and then order 2 resonators and have them welded on. I would say clamp it but since you need 4 it might be better and easier to just pay someone the 30min-1hr of labor to weld it all up.
Old 02-28-14, 12:19 PM
Celtica
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
^^ yeah just measure the diameter of the piping it will be in th 2.25-2.5" area cannot remember exactly and then order 2 resonators and have them welded on. I would say clamp it but since you need 4 it might be better and easier to just pay someone the 30min-1hr of labor to weld it all up.
I would just get 2 to replace the 2 that I deleted. At the time, the shop guy said that that part of the pipe was around 2" or even a little under.. But they were the sideways resonators so I guess they's have to work around that because now the pipe just curves where the resonators just to be.. If universal ones will work, that would be great, I just thought that maybe the stock resonators that looked like oval mufflers turned sideways were some kind of special design or something.
Old 02-28-14, 12:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

2 resonators = 4 clamps if you were to clamp it on.
I think you are saying the stock ones are offset. you can get offset ones if you want or the can just make some bends in there. or you can go to a junkyard and try and grab that rear section of pipe of another sc400.
Old 02-28-14, 01:20 PM
Celtica
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
2 resonators = 4 clamps if you were to clamp it on.
I think you are saying the stock ones are offset. you can get offset ones if you want or the can just make some bends in there. or you can go to a junkyard and try and grab that rear section of pipe of another sc400.
Ha ha, yeah I meant to say that they were offset. Thank you for saying what I was trying to, lol. I can't seem to find those offset ones anywhere. So yeah, I may have to try a junkyard or just have some other ones put in with a bend.
Old 02-28-14, 01:29 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Just any ol offset muffler that will fit. But yeah, hit up a junkyard if you can, then parts store for the donut gaskets. If you were closer I'd give you mine. I'm about to do a 3" mid pipe to 4" tail w/aero turbine muffler for obnoxiousness. Since my gfs car got stock exh, my neighbors haven been angry enough.
Old 02-28-14, 02:46 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

did you try resetting the ecu. could be you need some new o2 sensors, and a drop in performance air filter or BFI might get you some power back.
Old 02-28-14, 07:12 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I just removed my resonator about a week ago and have no problem, try disconnecting the batter and thus reset the ECU, i notice no negatives, just improved sound. Also by theory, the resonator removal should have no effect on flow, it is designed to dampen the sound without restricting flow, if you ever seen the inside of one it is a straight through design.
Old 02-28-14, 08:27 PM
Celtica
Driver

Thanks guys, I did try resetting the ecu awhile back, however that was when the CEL was coming on due to a bad oil control valve about a month ago and has since been fixed, so maybe I need to try that again and see if that helps. The was just changed and the air filter is clean. From what I've read, I a drop in filter doesn't seem to do much power wise..
Old 02-28-14, 10:18 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Craigslist might be your best friend. Stock SC exhausts are starting to become fairly common around here. Heck even pick n pull might work if you just want the resonators.
Old 03-01-14, 10:32 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

The only potential negative is the reduction of back pressure but usually happens when you go with a larger size pipe, just by removing the resonator you just took away the sound damper.
Old 03-02-14, 04:41 PM
Celtica
Driver

Yeah, that's what I thought, but the proof is in the pudding when it comes to getting up to freeway speed, it just takes longer. It sure doesn't feel like 290 hp anymore.... I'll reset it later when I get back from work and see what happens..

Quick Reply: How do I reverse this mod ??