Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

weird clicking/scratching/squeaking noise

Old 05-17-14, 08:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

For 2 days now it has become unbearably loud when I have my foot on the throttle, when going really slow and when turning left. Got some gear oil and will be changing it tmr, hopefully it's not the diff and changing the oil won't fix it lol, cz if it does, means this diff is probably effed real hard. I have no idea what else it could be though
Old 05-18-14, 03:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Diff is filled when I opened it so I didn't even put new oil in it, also partly because I stripped the drain plug, ooops. I had my hand on the diff while turning a wheel and there's a vibration in the passenger side and its def inside the diff, I guess I only have one option left and that's to replace the diff. I heard torsens r indestructible but I guess I was wrong. Heres a video of the sound when spinning the wheel by hand.

Sc400 diff noise:

Last edited by oldManTan; 05-18-14 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 10:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

umm weird... so when i did this today i posted that video before driving and then i drove 2 miles and at first the sound was there and after like 50 yards it completely was gone, car was like new. no clunking, no screeching nothing... i'm really confused because i only put 100mL of new oil in there just to top it off because some of it dripped out of the fill hole. could it be that the oil is just old and the little bit of new oil is making it that much better? it's only 100 mL though, that can't be enough can it? this week hopefully i'll get to my buddies garage and we'll get the stripped drain plug out and put new oil in this thing, and maybe even take it off completely and see inside what's going on. this is so weird because the sound is completely gone, like at no point can i hear it, not when turning, or accelerating or decelerating or anything really. it's smooth, doesn't clunk or anything. well that's my shpeel for now. gonna be driving all week so we'll see what happens later.
Old 05-19-14, 10:16 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you checked that side's CV joints? That fixed mine perfectly and I opened one of the old ones to reveal grease was gone.
Old 05-19-14, 11:05 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

the CV joints look very clean like no grease has ever gone anywhere, the clicking was definitely inside the diff, the CV joint was not making any noise it seemed. once i get the diff out i'll take a look at the CVs as well. but for now theres none to minimal sound when slowly rolling.
Old 05-19-14, 11:49 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
the CV joints look very clean like no grease has ever gone anywhere, the clicking was definitely inside the diff, the CV joint was not making any noise it seemed. once i get the diff out i'll take a look at the CVs as well. but for now theres none to minimal sound when slowly rolling.
Okay. My similar sound ended like that so that's the only reason I'm so insistent on it.
Old 05-19-14, 12:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think you really need to do that drain refill if the noise comes back. then you will see if there is metal coming out of the oil or not will give some general indication of the diff and how much fluid comes out and what color etc..
when filling squeeze it in there until it starts to really pour out the top then its full.. lol.

remember you always start with the fill plug first.
how did you strip the drain plug. use a breaker bar and a socket if you still can or get some very large vice grips or monkey wrench on it and use a cheater bar.
Old 05-19-14, 06:05 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

it's a 10mm hex and i was using a breaker bar on it and it just slipped, i tried hammering the hex in deeper but it just wont hold now, it's really stuck in there, dont know how we'll get it out lol, but we will, have to lol.
Old 06-18-14, 08:58 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

after draining and oiling the diff, did the noise go away?
Old 06-18-14, 10:47 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

couldn't drain it because i stripped the drain bolt. added some oil to it because it leaked out a little. the noise is not gone and i think i've come to the conclusion that it's the passenger half shaft.

reason i say that is, i found a remedy treatment that i do once the sound comes back. i jack the rear of the car up, put it in neutral and spin the wheels by hand back and forth for a while. then start it, put it in drive and let the wheels spin for a bit in the air. seems to make the sound go away completely or to a little squeek.

i'll be replacing the half shaft soon once i get it, they're pretty cheap 80 or so bucks on rock auto. might go with TT half shafts if they fit

anyone know if TT half shafts fit on a SC400?
Old 10-22-14, 01:53 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

so this noise is still there, very dull and sometimes can't even hear it. the oil in the diff has been changed and it didn't really have any shards or shavings on the drain plug so there's no damage to the diff. honestly i think it's just the dust shield rubbing on the inside of the rotor. i'm gonna go look at it now and try to completely remove the dust shield and dremel it off or something. if that doesn't work, then i need to hook up my sound system so i can ignore it easier lol.
Old 10-23-14, 08:01 PM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

I read through most of this thread, and my thought is that your pads are too big for your rotors, or your rotors are too small for your pads. As the pads wear they start to rub on the outside edge of your rotors and make all sorts of strange noises.

Post #33 shows a ridge outside the actual rotor wear surface. Something ain't right there man. I've never seen that on any pads I've ever removed.
Old 10-23-14, 09:00 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rhoderman
I read through most of this thread, and my thought is that your pads are too big for your rotors, or your rotors are too small for your pads. As the pads wear they start to rub on the outside edge of your rotors and make all sorts of strange noises.

Post #33 shows a ridge outside the actual rotor wear surface. Something ain't right there man. I've never seen that on any pads I've ever removed.
yea i know that, that's a fact lol. but removing the ridge of the pads didn't change anything and the noise was still there.
Old 10-24-14, 03:40 PM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
yea i know that, that's a fact lol. but removing the ridge of the pads didn't change anything and the noise was still there.
Sorry man. I read that you ground it off on 3/2 and the problem went away until 3/7 when it came back with popping noises.
Old 10-27-14, 05:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

it gets worse when it's cold outside. warm today like 75 degrees and barely heard it. in the morning it was louder though because it was like 40. this is just a weird noise and it's really bad when i reverse and turn the wheel all the way to the... i think right. i'll check again this weekend, just too busy with school right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird clicking/scratching/squeaking noise