Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

weird clicking/scratching/squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 03:05 PM
scott101
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once swapped my rear right handbrake out (replaces some parts from a crash), and If I remember right I tried replacing it with sc400 brake shoes and assemble. It was a while ago, but there was a little pin thing that was clicking against my rotor or something like that. definitely check out the brake shoes and assembly under the rotor
Old 03-24-14, 06:38 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

so after about 2 or 3 weeks of beautiful silence, the noise is back and meaner and louder than ever. but then its gone again and sometimes comes back with a really mild chirp that goes away eventually. lol i just turn my radio up now and ignore it cz i can't figure out anything wrong with this at all.
Old 04-06-14, 07:04 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

so the sound has been just random on and off but today when i doing some body work i had the car jacked up and was spinning the wheels and noticed the diff clicking, it's really noticeable and if i put my hand on the diff i can feel the vibration going through the whole thing. here's a video
Old 04-07-14, 09:11 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Damn, forum is shy lately...
Old 04-09-14, 10:34 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-11-14, 03:50 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah i can tell you right now that its not supposed to be leaking like that might want to check if you got any fluid in there at all.
Old 04-11-14, 11:13 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

the thing is, it's not leaking, if it is, it's got the record for the slowest leak in the world. where do i even check the fluid? i can't find any bolts to open up or anything?
Old 04-12-14, 12:31 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Good news - we have the same problem! Same noise. We can narrow this guy down. I always thought it was suspension or brake issue. Guess not.

Here's my list:
entire braking system removed on (for me it is) rear driver's side. No change. Put back in.
New bearing.
Removed ABS Speed sensor (which had a lot of metal shavings....😰 but probably from itself) - minor reduction in sound.
Removed parking brake.
Changed wheel.

HIGHLY likely it's your diff - mine is a welded diff of unknown quality 😨 so I don't know why I never thought of it. No leaks. How much can I get a decent diff for...?
Old 04-12-14, 11:15 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

how is it the diff though if it's only on one side? my guess was the CV joint because the sound is the worst when there is more weight on that wheel ie when turning and weight transfers to that wheel.
Old 04-22-14, 07:53 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
the thing is, it's not leaking, if it is, it's got the record for the slowest leak in the world. where do i even check the fluid? i can't find any bolts to open up or anything?
There is oil/black gunk all over it...it could be a improper instaill, here is a how too on changing the fluid and check its condition.

http://planetsoarer.com/diff/diff.htm

Originally Posted by oldManTan
how is it the diff though if it's only on one side? my guess was the CV joint because the sound is the worst when there is more weight on that wheel ie when turning and weight transfers to that wheel.
Hmm could be, also seals could be bad that could be causing the leak and all that gunk build up.
Old 05-01-14, 02:06 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

the sound has gotten much worse now, its like a popping/cracking metal sound and it happens when i accelerate from a stop and when inching forward while stopped. once i pick up speed it becomes the chirp it always used to be. it's raining today and the tire, not the rim, or the brakes or anything surrouding the wheel, just the tire is warm and steaming cz of the wet roads. it's not hot, just a little warm, and i only drove a mile to walgreens and back. all other wheels and tires are nice and cool, just that one. i have no clue what to do, the car drives fine, just the sound is awful and it's gonna tear that tire up. any ideas? tmr im gonna go to my friends garage and look at the bearings, maybe repack them. does anyone know what the torque is on the bearings??? thanks
Old 05-14-14, 01:59 AM
DrMcPho
Rookie

Did you ever find out what the problem was? My SC is making a noise similar to yours. Curious to find out because my mechanic said it was the rotors that needed resurfacing but even resurfacing the rotors didn't do anything.
Old 05-14-14, 10:09 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

no still haven't figured it out. it just clicks now, and is extremely random. i have no idea what it could be, but i'm pretty sure it's the diff. haven't had time to take it out and look at it, but that's my guess. once i'm out of school i'll really look into it.
Old 05-14-14, 10:51 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take the diff out man **** is blown!! lol
Old 05-14-14, 11:48 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
take the diff out man **** is blown!! lol
idk man, i dont think it's blown, just out of tune maybe.

Quick Reply: weird clicking/scratching/squeaking noise