Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trans problems, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 07:41 PM
Rotard4L
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problems, need help.

I have a 92 sc300 with the factory 5speed and the clutch was slipping pretty bad, so i dropped the trans and realized the pressure plate bolts were loose and a couple fingers were broke off. Not to mention there were no clutch pads left at all. So i replaced the flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate and the pilot and throw out bearings. I also replaced the rear main seal while i was there.

So, the car drove great for about a week, was taking it easy for the break in period. Then yesterday as i was getting on the highway i went to shift from 2nd to 3rd but it wouldnt change gears. Then it started vibrating REALLY bad. It shifts now but only at idle or you have to slam it in gear. And the clutch still engages and disengages just fine and the pedal feels great still. Also once you have it in any gear it still pulls really good with no slippage at all.

Any ideas what it is? Ive searched and found that it could be the throw out bearing or shifter bushings or a million other things. So was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem so i know where to start looking. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-14, 08:15 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

There's soooo many things it could be. Can you be a bit more descriptive? Was this a one time occurrence? Is it only shifting 2-3 , or all are the gears hard to shift into? Does the problem persist, or is it intermittent?

Best of luck
Old 02-13-14, 08:30 PM
Rotard4L
Driver School Candidate

its hard to shift in all gears unless its at idle. then its smooth. and the only time it doesnt vibrate so bad i cant see straight is at really low speeds with the clutch pressed in or in neutral. it started yesterday as i stated above and hasnt stopped since. The car is my daily driver so im hoping its nothing to serious like the trans itself, bcuz there not an easy thing to find around here.
Old 02-13-14, 08:44 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Did you bleed the slave cylinder? Is the fluid full?
Old 02-13-14, 08:45 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have any gear grinding problems before?
Old 02-13-14, 08:49 PM
Rotard4L
Driver School Candidate

the slave and everyhting are fine, and the pedal still feels great. i never had any problems before except that the clutch slipped bad. When the problem happened it was really wierd bcuz it shifted perfect into 1st and 2nd and the pedal never changed at all but it wouldnt go into 3rd. now it doesnt wanna go into any gear. i also just changed the trans fluid and rear diff fluid less then a month ago and everything seemed fine there.
Old 02-14-14, 08:37 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would pull the tranny again and inspect everything once again. I think it might be the tranny itself. Is the tranny full of fluid? Sometimes the simple things we overlook.

I also moved this to the correct subforum. GL !
Old 02-14-14, 07:02 PM
Rotard4L
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the move, wasnt sure where to post it. And as of today the problem has stopped, bcuz the tranny and rear both decided to let go on me on my way home. the transmission no longer grabs any gear, just grinds. and the rear spider gears are shot. didnt help that when the rear let go i put my foot to the floor cuz i was pissed which is when the trans let go. so if anyone is interested in parts or the whole car pm me.

Thanks for the help, but im done putting time and money into this thing.