Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Check Engine Light On. Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 11:53 AM
Sean098sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light On. Plz Help!

My check engine light has been on since I recently bought it. I tried to diagnose it with the jumper wire but when I turn the ignition to "on" the light just stays solid. Can anyone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong? I put the jumper wire (tried a metal pin too) between ports TE1 and E1 but there aren't any flashes and I did it both of the diagnostics boxes in the engine compartment and inside the car. I also attempted to reset it by unplugging the EF1 plug for 15 seconds but still nothing. Pls help! Thanks
Old 02-05-15, 07:36 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

the CEL should* flash and show you and codes if you jumper said terminals (TE1,E1)
it will flash consistantly if there are no codes. could be a number if things but to start with the basics..

make sure the pin/wire you are using is making contact, somtimes theres alot of goop, makes it hard to see if you got a good connection.

the ECU capacitors could be leaking and spawning electrical gremlins, take a peek inside yours or plug in a known good ecu and see if it goes away, worth a shot, happens alot. also some autoparts stores do free CEL code checking. seince u r obd2 they will plug it up to a codescanner, if it does nothing then check your ecu it is probably going bad and leaking as mentioned.
Old 02-05-15, 10:26 PM
Sean098sc
Driver School Candidate

But my car is a OBD1 though. But thanks I'll check to see if the ECU could be leaking.
Old 02-06-15, 10:09 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean098sc
But my car is a OBD1 though. But thanks I'll check to see if the ECU could be leaking.
paperclip is the best thing to stick in there. stick it in first, then turn they key to ON. and wait for blinking. it will blink a few times, then pause, and that's your codes. here's a DIY for LS but it's identical
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 02-06-15, 03:32 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

I assumed you are OBDII because of your sn "sean098sc" most vehicles 96+ are OBDII. if you are stock 97+ and VVT-I i can almost promise you are OBDII. however some models like the ES had OBDII as early as 94'. most* OBDI cars dont have in-dash diagnostic for codescanner.

here is OBDII codes
http://www.troublecodes.net/lexus/

to clear codes, remove jumper wire, pull efi fuse for 10-20 secs then put back in, disconnect neg battery, pump brakes a few times and turn on/off lights with no power to discharge anything. reconnect battery, drive around a bit. then try again to read codes.
Old 02-06-15, 04:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SCstone
I assumed you are OBDII because of your sn "sean098sc"...
That's why I usually avoid answering questions when the bare minimum of information isn't provided. Put some effort into it, people!
Old 02-06-15, 07:28 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Your check engine light can be reset yet by disconnecting your battery for a few min assuming you have a 98 obd2

This happened to me a couple of times, with my custom exhaust only under heavy acceleration it came on.
I think the o2 sensors are getting old and and more sensitive to heat.
I don't see any abnormalities in my oil level/condition, idle inconsistency or any other issues, so connected the battery back up and were back in biz.
Don't get a heart attack it's nothing major if everything else normal.