Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz Alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 08:15 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2jz Alternator upgrade

So I was reading a thread over on SF about alternator upgrades. Has anyone here tried it with an SC? Apparently you can use either a 2005ish Tundra, GX470 or Sequoia alternator which are 130 (tundra) or 150amp (GX/seq). You just have to shave about 5mm off the upper mounting ear and rewire the connector pin. The supra guys figured it all out and seems like a great way to get some extra amperage at idle to run big fuel pumps and fans and such.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for us but curious if anyone has actually done it.
Old 01-24-14, 09:48 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SC guys are too cheap!
Old 01-24-14, 11:18 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Guess I'll have to be the first then. I've got a big sound system and once I get my turbo build done, i'll have some big fuel pumps, standalone and I'd prefer to have my electrical system stable and not short on capacity.

I'll update here and my build thread when I do it.
Old 01-24-14, 11:31 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Lol it's was a joke!!

it works great i know a couple people running them.
Old 01-24-14, 11:57 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is this supraforums link you were talking about.
somehow I cant find it
Old 01-24-14, 12:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like a good mod, connector has gotta be pretty easy to rewire.
shaving 5mm only takes a few seconds with a trusty grinder.
I say go for it and post the results, the SC is pretty tough on batteries so it should help.
Old 01-24-14, 01:34 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I think off site links are verboten so just search for 130 amp oem alternator on SF.

You're definitely right, I have the biggest yellow top you can get in mine and between the fact I don't drive it very often, my alarm and big stereo, I'm particularly hard on batteries. I relocated to the trunk and ran 2/0 marine cable up to the mains and for a ground.

The connector part number is 90980-11964 and its under $10. apparently the pins can just be popped out and over into this one. For the supra TT at least, the pins have to be changed over thusly:

Supra 3 pin to 4 pin, respectively goes like this: (yellow/green stripe) 1-->4, 2-->2, (beige)3-->1, plug up the third pin with an OEM plug or RTV silicone.

If I can find a decent alt at a good price, i'll give it a go. Seems easy enough and a mod I don't have to wait on any other projects to do.
Old 01-24-14, 07:43 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Optima Is the worst battery you can put on your car.. aem car specially hates optima , starting issues etc..

I've always used regular 89 $ batteries because optimas never seems to work.
Old 01-24-14, 08:01 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

i have an upgrade alternator which was a rewind on my Na-t. doesn't know how well it works yet but will report as soon as i redo my harness for proefi and get my car running. I brought it incase i ever wanna run extra fuel pumps i don't want my electrical system to strain.
Old 01-24-14, 08:10 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Once this battery goes I'll be switching back to die hard platinums. Odyssey makes those. Every third optima is good seems like. Trick is finding a good one. The yellow tops are better than the reds in my experience. I've got a pair of reds in my escalade (came with it) and they've been good to me but they will go too when time comes.
Old 01-25-14, 02:16 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Optima Is the worst battery you can put on your car.. aem car specially hates optima , starting issues etc..

I've always used regular 89 $ batteries because optimas never seems to work.
omar , please explain as when i did trufantics car he has a optima redtop with aem v2 and never had a issue
Old 01-25-14, 05:31 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I got one in my garage it's junk, from my friend car, keeps dying.

I replaced justin's (inkredible) over 4 times under warranty every week. When he finally listened to me and dropped an $89 regular battery in the car he hasn't been stranded.

And it's all over Sf , do a little search ..

I wouldn't run one if you pay me.
Old 01-25-14, 01:27 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got an aftermarket 160 amp alterntor off of that auction site everyone uses that starts with an e.
I had it benched and it was definitely producing what it was rated for and I ran a big 1/0 gauge wire (overkill I know) from the Alt to the battery to facilitate current flow. And it was less than $150 shipped to my door.

I think Biggu is selling a MechMan HO Alternator in the classifieds here and mechman always had a solid reputation on caraudio.com an realmofexcursion forums. So that's an option as well if you don't want to mod an alternator to fit.
Old 01-25-14, 07:30 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Alt and connector ordered so I'm gonna give it a shot. Went with the sequoia 150 amp unit. Probably get here next week maybe can do swap while I'm doing my brakes.
Old 01-25-14, 07:56 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
I just got an aftermarket 160 amp alterntor off of that auction site everyone uses that starts with an e.
I had it benched and it was definitely producing what it was rated for and I ran a big 1/0 gauge wire (overkill I know) from the Alt to the battery to facilitate current flow. And it was less than $150 shipped to my door.

I think Biggu is selling a MechMan HO Alternator in the classifieds here and mechman always had a solid reputation on caraudio.com an realmofexcursion forums. So that's an option as well if you don't want to mod an alternator to fit.
This was going to be my suggestion for everybody. Just buy a refurbished and upgraded one off eBay and it'll bolt right in. No trimming needed.

Quick Reply: 2jz Alternator upgrade