I own a 1995 Lexus SC300 after searching multiple forums and numerous stores I noticed there weren't many short shifters available for the SC300. I recently purchased a short shifter for a MKIV Supra since the 5 speed 95-97 SC300 use the same W58 transmission as the Supra. I have attached pictures of the stock shifter installed in neutral, 3rd gear and 4th gear to show the length of the throw as well as the height of the factory shift ****. I also attached a photo of the factory shifter next to the NST shifter to show the difference of height and quality. Next I have attached pictures of the shifter installed in neutral, 3rd gear and 4th gear. I have seen a dramatic decrease in the throw of the shifter as well as the height of the shifter. The quality of the shifter feels great unlike some other shifters I have purchased that feel like they may break in your hand. The installation was easy and pretty straight forward.
1. start by taking the shift **** off and lifting up on the rear of the shift boot and cover.
2. there will be 4 10mm bolts you need to remove for the rubber boot under the shift boot.
3. you will notice a rubber dust cover and a small rubber piece just pull those off.
4. remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the shifter in place.
My car was already on jack stands so I crawled under the car
5. remove the rubber dust cover revealing the last 12mm bolt holding the bottom of the shifter.
1. Drop the new shifter in replace the 12mm bolt with an alan screw included in the kit
2. attach the new shifter mounting hardware with the 4 alan screws included.
3. Install the three rubber dust covers
4. place the rubber boot and factory 4 10mm bolts back on
5.install shift boot and trim then shift ****.
The whole job took about 45 minutes just taking my time. I am very pleased with the purchase and the quality of the shifter. The shifter I purchased is sold for both the 5 speed and 6 speed supra so there were a lot of included parts I didn't need. **This shifter will not work on pre 95 sc300's only for 95-97 with the tripod style w58**
This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
I wanted to let everybody know that NST just started carrying these short shifters in early December so the price that is reflected on their site is an introductory price that will end on January 31st. If you want this introductory price make sure and get your order in by the end of the month.
The short answer is no I'm not 100% sure what will work on a pre 95. I have researched it a lot and from what I have read the mkiii supra short shifter will work on pre 95 w58 transmissions. The C's shifter for the mkiii supra is one of the only shifters (to my knowledge that should work) but with a price tag of $370+ when you can find one it doesn't seem like a great option.
No problem I figured this would help a lot of people out. I have notified NST and they have changed their site to reflect that this shifter will work. Here is a side by side shot of the factory shifter and the NST shifter.
It really took some of the slop out of the shifter. The white piece on the bottom of the stock shifter seemed pretty loose but the new piece was nice and tight, tight enough to add a little grease during installation.