Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95-97 SC300 short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 07:21 AM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else try this thing out? We are somewhat limited on sts choices for the w58. The op sounds like they are an employee of the company. Their first post is exactly what is on their website review.

Not saying that you are, just curious. Seems quite cheap compared in the past when they were hundreds more. If I can get some more positive reviews I will pic one up when I get my new shift ****.

Last edited by 97NaSupra; 02-20-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 01:23 PM
bznhornets
Rookie

I bought one of these last month. It was shipped yesterday. I let you all know how the install goes.
Yes, it's cheap compared to the TRD & C. But at $55 I thought I'd take a chance on it. The shifter looks pretty stout.
Old 02-20-14, 01:50 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by bznhornets
I bought one of these last month. It was shipped yesterday. I let you all know how the install goes.
Yes, it's cheap compared to the TRD & C. But at $55 I thought I'd take a chance on it. The shifter looks pretty stout.
Yes please do!

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-21-14, 09:53 PM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

I am in no way connected to Non Stop Tuning, just a consumer that wanted to share information with other SC owners. After I purchased the short shifter I posted this thread and sent a link to Non Stop Tuning just to confirm that this shifter will work on our 95-97 w58.
Old 02-21-14, 10:21 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lanning
I am in no way connected to Non Stop Tuning, just a consumer that wanted to share information with other SC owners. After I purchased the short shifter I posted this thread and sent a link to Non Stop Tuning just to confirm that this shifter will work on our 95-97 w58.
Thanks for posting this! For a while there was a lack of new short shifters available for tripod manual W58/R154/V160's.
Old 02-22-14, 08:14 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by lanning
Thanks for the review man. I just ordered mine lastnight. So we will see...

Last edited by 97NaSupra; 02-25-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-25-14, 08:04 AM
Radu
Driver School Candidate

I just installed mine recently and am happy with how it turned out. It took me about an hour to install and I like how it feels relative to the stock shifter. For the price, I would say this is a good investment for your car.
Old 02-25-14, 09:31 AM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by Radu
I just installed mine recently and am happy with how it turned out. It took me about an hour to install and I like how it feels relative to the stock shifter. For the price, I would say this is a good investment for your car.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-28-14, 10:31 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Alright received and installed the NST Short shifter tonight. Here is my review. This install is on a 97 NA Supra with the tripod style w58. For the price of this thing I will say it is well worth it, however it did require some slight modification in order to fit correctly. This shifter is meant to work on all Supra's from 93+ 5spd & 6spd's or 95+ Sc300's. Because of this many parts will not be used on the 5spds that is included with this shifter.

First off here is what you get when you open the box.......

The shifter seems to be built very well, parts are solid and look very nice.

Here is a look to show my factory shifter locations from 1st gear to 5th and Reverse,

Here is a bit of comparison of the old hardware (Right) and new hardware (Left)

Here's where the start of the modification need to be made, as you can see in the pic below the square bracket which holds the shifter to the factory tripod on the transmission holes do not line up. This was fixed by drilling out the holes until they lined up correctly (took me maybe 10min)

And the below photos shows the finished product. As you can see I used one of the left over pieces meant for the 6spd install to put between my shift **** and the actual stick replacing the factory rubber ring, not necessary if you don't want to.

The shifter feels much more firm now than it did, for around 60 bucks to your door I can't complain one bit. Hope this review helps others on this shifter.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by 97NaSupra; 02-28-14 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 07:43 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Nice DIY. Anything driveline related goes in the engine forum so moved to proper forum.
Old 03-07-14, 10:13 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

hello!

i become my shifter today, i see as first, the holes are not perfect, but not much to modify i will install the next days, but with the upper part from the original shifter to have the insulator from the oem shifter

here a picture form my shifter (W58 from a 96 Supra Facelift)

greets

Tom

Last edited by Boergy; 03-07-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-09-14, 07:38 PM
bznhornets
Rookie

Finished the install of the NST short shifter. You get several parts in the box but I only used three of them. I had some

difficult moments during the R & R of the shifters, but none of that had anything to do with NST. Working on cars isn't easy

anymore.
Only time will tell if the shifter is durable enough to survive everday use. This shifter is made from aluminum. The factory

shifter is steel. Steel vs aluminum: Steel wins!
My only complaint with the NST kit is the retainer plate. It is useless on the W58 transmission. I don't know what NST measured

when they made this plate, but it wasn't my tranny. I chose to use the OEM retainer plate rather than waisting time modifying the

NST plate. IMO NST should redesign this part so we can use it. At my day job I build parts for airplanes. This NST part would

never fly.
My conclusion. The throws are shorter than the OEM shifter. Gears first, third and fifth are very distinct while second and forth

feel a little vague. Is this mod worth the money, time and effort. I don't think so. I'm a very difficult consumer to please. If

I were to do this again I would try another product.
Old 03-16-14, 10:50 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

i bought one similar on ebay and love it. i think it was even cheaper. i made the threads deeper and cut the shifter so its shorter looks and feels great
Old 03-31-14, 03:43 PM
rodan
Driver School Candidate

I installed mine last week and I am very happy with the feel. I reused my stock plate and ordered a new square rubber boot because I could not take the original boot off the stock shifter. It was cheap. I also cut off about an inch off the top of the shifter weight so that the stock shift **** will screw down. What I like about the feel is the positive click when it goes into gear. It reduces the shift throw just enough to make it noticible. It eliminates the sloppy feel. It takes a bit more force to go into gear but I like the weight of it. Reverse is a bit harder to engage but I am ok with it. I like it and this is what I have been looking for for years!!!

I will post some pictures soon.
Old 04-02-14, 04:24 PM
rodan
Driver School Candidate

Pictures of the install:
Attached Thumbnails 95-97 SC300 short shifter-photo-1.jpg   95-97 SC300 short shifter-photo-2.jpg   95-97 SC300 short shifter-photo-3.jpg   95-97 SC300 short shifter-photo-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: 95-97 SC300 short shifter