Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

s362 vs pte 6266

Old 03-28-14, 01:11 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nate- it doesn't sound like a Supercharger lol , it's a different type of sound !!

I send you a video of an S366 on 1jz with cams.
Old 03-28-14, 02:20 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah we know that. Try telling that to the Dodge guys. Now my only issue with the car is the electrical system I'm getting that grounding problem. Everything's been check alternator is good battery is good but still having that demand and loss of power under load.
Old 03-28-14, 03:29 PM
Grobar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad the OP made this thread. I'm also quite new to the wonderful world of turbos. Jostar commented on this thread early on, and he's a good (and very knowledgeable) buddy of mine. I also live near SP, and everybody I know runs PTE. Jostar has on on his MKIII, another good buddy has an old school GTS 1J MKIII (made 726whp!) and a third has a MKIV that made 700whp on a 6766. None of them had issues with failures that I know of. Having said that, it's been sad watching and hearing arguments where both sides are not represented and it's hard for me to make a decision on my upcoming build since most vendors push their product without giving much props to the other side...

PTE is on a LOT of high HP cars. People say they fail a lot but I'm guessing a part of it is if you have a lot of product on the market, you have a higher probability of a unit failing. No stats to back that up, just observation. I also live near SP and there is no doubt they are in the pocket of PTE. Having said that, when my friends PTE took a **** (at this point it seems a foreign object went through compressor housing, not turbo failure) we sent it to Boostlab for inspection since Kirk was nice enough to communicate via email and offer free inspection. He took it apart completely, said "Not rebuildable, looks like foreign object damage, tough ****, I can offer you a good deal on a BW though." and sent it back in a BW box...COMPLETELY UNASSEMBLED. Said due to damage was not rebuildable and he couldn't put it back together.

We brought it to SP who sent it back to PTE who did inspection for free and offered to rebuild it. My friend declined, bought a new PTE, and PTE still assembled it and sent it back. Maybe that's because we went through SP so as a vendor they get better customer service? I don't know, that's just one story of many people can use.

Myself, I'll probably go with a BWS366. The combination of price (****ing $625 shipped!), reliability and consistent ability to put down solid power numbers just wins over. I'm a regular guy with a regular job that just wants a fun turbo (LOVE the sound!) that has been proven to make power. To each their own.
Old 03-31-14, 06:11 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Grobar
Glad the OP made this thread. I'm also quite new to the wonderful world of turbos. Jostar commented on this thread early on, and he's a good (and very knowledgeable) buddy of mine. I also live near SP, and everybody I know runs PTE. Jostar has on on his MKIII, another good buddy has an old school GTS 1J MKIII (made 726whp!) and a third has a MKIV that made 700whp on a 6766. None of them had issues with failures that I know of. Having said that, it's been sad watching and hearing arguments where both sides are not represented and it's hard for me to make a decision on my upcoming build since most vendors push their product without giving much props to the other side...

PTE is on a LOT of high HP cars. People say they fail a lot but I'm guessing a part of it is if you have a lot of product on the market, you have a higher probability of a unit failing. No stats to back that up, just observation. I also live near SP and there is no doubt they are in the pocket of PTE. Having said that, when my friends PTE took a **** (at this point it seems a foreign object went through compressor housing, not turbo failure) we sent it to Boostlab for inspection since Kirk was nice enough to communicate via email and offer free inspection. He took it apart completely, said "Not rebuildable, looks like foreign object damage, tough ****, I can offer you a good deal on a BW though." and sent it back in a BW box...COMPLETELY UNASSEMBLED. Said due to damage was not rebuildable and he couldn't put it back together.

We brought it to SP who sent it back to PTE who did inspection for free and offered to rebuild it. My friend declined, bought a new PTE, and PTE still assembled it and sent it back. Maybe that's because we went through SP so as a vendor they get better customer service? I don't know, that's just one story of many people can use.

Myself, I'll probably go with a BWS366. The combination of price (****ing $625 shipped!), reliability and consistent ability to put down solid power numbers just wins over. I'm a regular guy with a regular job that just wants a fun turbo (LOVE the sound!) that has been proven to make power. To each their own.
thanks for sharing!
its weird how 1 shop said it wasn't repairable, but the other said it was. that seems a little off...

it seems like every high hp car at the strip runs precision turbos.
but the strip and street driving are completely different.
Old 03-31-14, 12:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think they use more custom parts thats why other shops can't repair them, but the original vendor should be able to re-build their own turbo I would hope since they have all the parts.
Old 04-01-14, 10:58 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

just a random thought, since im about to pull the trigger on the s362
is it beneficial to get the 90 degree elbow one? or just to get the straight outlet?
what is easier for the intercooler piping?
Old 04-10-14, 09:58 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to share an experience a friend of mine had which makes me think it can all be luck sometimes.

Ford diesel turbo friend, buys a brand new BW from BW and cruises it to a Spurs game here in SA. As he's leaving the Spurs game to a restaurant he does ONE pull and the turbo went to shreds. It was basically a drop in replacement for his previous BW which was only smaller. He got a new one already and it has not blown up but just saying. I think it can happen to any brand of turbo. It's happened to PTE owners and also BW owners.
Old 04-11-14, 10:01 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng10
just a random thought, since im about to pull the trigger on the s362
is it beneficial to get the 90 degree elbow one? or just to get the straight outlet?
what is easier for the intercooler piping?
Really depends on how you plan on running your intercooler piping and what manifold you are using....Here is a pic of mine with straight housing but im using a S366....the 90 would be a very tight fit

Name:  IMG_06701_zpse8014339.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  102.6 KB

Either way you most likely need to add a spacer to your turbo manifold...I needed a 1/2" spacer to get the compressor housing from touching runner #1 on manifold...The compressor housing are really big on BW
Old 04-11-14, 01:46 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

On my 61mm S300 I sawed off the thick outlet and welded on a 90. I didn't have to run a spacer, but there's definitely a limit at which you cannot clock the housing any further.

Clears
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1301527070

Hits
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1301527070

Fatty outlet chopped off
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1305433984

Best pic I could find of it with the 90* welded on
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0-sam_0700.jpg

As CatMan said, these turbos are large and beefy. You'll see what I've dubbed "das ghetto bend" that I had to do for the Throttle Body to clear the exhaust housing. So if you don't plan on running an FFIM, you may run into the same issue.

Last edited by Halon; 04-11-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-14-14, 05:16 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

what manifold is that?
I plan on using a boostlogic exhaust mani.
no plans for a ffim yet.
Old 04-14-14, 07:07 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is your standard China-bay special.
Old 05-06-14, 07:35 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

does anyone know if the s362 can fit under the stock intake with a boostlogic manifold?
Old 05-06-14, 01:03 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BL manifold will clear up to a 76mm turbo and whatever exhaust housing can fit on it....
Old 05-08-14, 07:15 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

great info!
thanks guys!