Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

s362 vs pte 6266

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 09:10 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, to see so many against precision turbos is weird. Now, I have been running my 6262 for almost 3 years or more with not one issue. 18 psi making 400+ at the wheels. I am thinking of getting a BW turbo. And the only reason I want to do that is because my PTE is so quiet. No one knows I am running a turbo until the Blow off goes off. So based on my experience, would I buy another PTE? YES, w/o a second thought. I think me wanting a BW is purely selfish reason and not performance or reliability issues. Another reason I got the PTE because I see the Supra guys in MD recommend them. Hell, I remember when, HKS was the turbo to have. Then Garrett. Then Bullseye. There is always cycle to what's new and upcoming. I say do your research, ask questions and make the best decision that suits you.
Old 03-26-14, 09:12 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
I'm just curious, do turbos have "break in" milage? Did you just go full throttle on it right away? Reason I ask is the PTE turbo I have has ~5k miles. Seller said it did not smoke at all and spooled hella fast on his supra. Now I have ownership of the turbo and there is practically NO shaft play. Just curious if maybe THIS pte turbo is okay.
To answer your question, no break in period i know of. Once my was installed, it was being punish on the dyno the same day repeatably without issue.
Old 03-27-14, 06:14 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
Wow, to see so many against precision turbos is weird. Now, I have been running my 6262 for almost 3 years or more with not one issue. 18 psi making 400+ at the wheels. I am thinking of getting a BW turbo. And the only reason I want to do that is because my PTE is so quiet. No one knows I am running a turbo until the Blow off goes off. So based on my experience, would I buy another PTE? YES, w/o a second thought. I think me wanting a BW is purely selfish reason and not performance or reliability issues. Another reason I got the PTE because I see the Supra guys in MD recommend them. Hell, I remember when, HKS was the turbo to have. Then Garrett. Then Bullseye. There is always cycle to what's new and upcoming. I say do your research, ask questions and make the best decision that suits you.
thanks for your experience.
is your 6262 bb or jb?
have you pushed it past 18 psi ever?
hows the shaft play after 3 years?
Old 03-27-14, 06:41 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Having owned both in the past, I too only run BW now (been running them for the past 6 years). I'm getting older and don't care about the hype of the newest billet hotness that will spool faster and make more power anymore. I care more about quality and longevity, and I've yet to experience a BW failure first hand. You can keep your 200rpm of spool and shiny compressor wheel. I'll take the OEM quality and reasonably priced BW unit every time.

Just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own and has their own reasons for choosing what they do and I respect that. No hate here just sharing my opinion based on my experiences, to each their own and good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Halon; 03-27-14 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 09:02 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting to that age where all I care about is shiny billetness and I don't care about OEM quality or reasonably priced things. You can keep your quality and dull compressor wheel.

Do you see how what you're typing sounds out loud when read? take it easy broda we are all friends here no need for elaboration or knocking lol

I do agree though. I want quality and longevity but the thing is I already purchased my PTE turbo which by no means is shiny or billet hottness lol We'll just see how she runs and until then I'll have set aside a nice chunk for a new turbo IN CASE anything bad happens. It will be MONTHS before my turbo sees any exhaust though. So maybe I'll just trade er' in for a BW. Who knows!
Old 03-27-14, 10:37 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mecheng10
thanks for your experience.
is your 6262 bb or jb?
have you pushed it past 18 psi ever?
hows the shaft play after 3 years?
It's journal
Highest was 20psi
But I am at 418 at the wheels. I am running the Power PC for 1jz.
Shaft play is non existent right now. I may have about 60k miles on the turbo.
It's not my daily driver. But eventually I will be get a BW just for something different.
Old 03-27-14, 11:19 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the sound difference that great between the two?
Old 03-28-14, 06:06 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

if you ever heard a borg warner spool... you immediately know its a borg.
they are loud and sound like a jet. ha

precision is much more quiet. perfect for the stealth look
Old 03-28-14, 07:54 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm getting to that age where all I care about is shiny billetness and I don't care about OEM quality or reasonably priced things. You can keep your quality and dull compressor wheel.

Do you see how what you're typing sounds out loud when read? take it easy broda we are all friends here no need for elaboration or knocking lol

I do agree though. I want quality and longevity but the thing is I already purchased my PTE turbo which by no means is shiny or billet hottness lol We'll just see how she runs and until then I'll have set aside a nice chunk for a new turbo IN CASE anything bad happens. It will be MONTHS before my turbo sees any exhaust though. So maybe I'll just trade er' in for a BW. Who knows!
What's a broda? Did I elaborate too much, here I thought I spared the details that a lot of others included and kept it pretty simple. Just sharing my opinion in what I thought was a pretty non-confrontational manner. If you have another agenda, then good for you I'll see my way out of this one. Good luck to you.
Old 03-28-14, 08:23 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i think he was just joking with you!!
Old 03-28-14, 08:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

broda = brother. opinions are welcome guys but lets not take turbo choice personally, as not everyone will ever agree on the same unit, or the same reasons for choosing. I know I gained alot of info/insight from this turbo thread that others usually won't share with people.
Old 03-28-14, 09:51 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Is the sound difference that great between the two?
Here's a video of my SC. Notice lack of turbo whine with the PTE.. But she gets up and again no problem with the turbo so far.

Old 03-28-14, 11:03 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
broda = brother. opinions are welcome guys but lets not take turbo choice personally, as not everyone will ever agree on the same unit, or the same reasons for choosing. I know I gained alot of info/insight from this turbo thread that others usually won't share with people.
exactly. this thread isn't about bashing either company. I am extremely new to the turbo charger scene (hardcore muscle car fan) so I don't know much the companies and their products in general. that's why I want people's personal experience. not just something well I read on SF that pte is the best turbo ever, or the Honda forums hate borg. They are not our beloved lexus!

Originally Posted by nate579
Here's a video of my SC. Notice lack of turbo whine with the PTE.. But she gets up and again no problem with the turbo so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kRWM...&feature=share
I wonder what borg does to make their turbos spool that much louder than the competitions?
Old 03-28-14, 12:34 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anti surge housing..from i can tell you makes it louder!

Even though Garrett has the same design ASH the BW sounds different, BW whistle aloT.
Old 03-28-14, 12:42 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

I kinda want that sound, but when you are running against an SRT, they think you you have straight motor or supercharger. LOL.

Quick Reply: s362 vs pte 6266